Viking Expeditions

Viking has announced the expansion into expedition voyages. Viking Expeditions will begin sailing in January 2022 with its first vessel, the Viking Octantis, embarking on voyages to Antarctica and North America’s Great Lakes.

A second expedition vessel, the Viking Polaris, will debut in August 2022, sailing to Antarctica and the Arctic. Viking’s arrival to the Great Lakes will bring the newest and most modern vessels ever to explore this region of North America. 

The ships will be built by VARD with a capacity of 378 guests each. 

(Viking)

Ship renderings: https://youtu.be/GtzfshhgWlc

• 1 month later...

I would offer a correction. Hapag Lloyd has brand new expedition ships sailing the Great Lakes, which have a third fewer passengers. They also have a great deal more experience at expedition cruising in general and the Great Lakes in particular. These are state of the art expedition built ships.

That said, Viking is a very nice product.

• 1 year later...
On 1/16/2020 at 9:48 AM, London-Calling said:

Viking has announced the expansion into expedition voyages. Viking Expeditions will begin sailing in January 2022 with its first vessel, the Viking Octantis, embarking on voyages to Antarctica and North America’s Great Lakes.

A second expedition vessel, the Viking Polaris, will debut in August 2022, sailing to Antarctica and the Arctic. Viking’s arrival to the Great Lakes will bring the newest and most modern vessels ever to explore this region of North America. 

The ships will be built by VARD with a capacity of 378 guests each. 

(Viking)

Ship renderings: https://youtu.be/GtzfshhgWlc

Hello London calling; I'm looking at Viking Explorer for Jan. 2023 and I was looking for someone who may have taken an Antarctica expedition before. I'll be 73 for the trip and in fairly good shape, is there much strenuous activity involved in Antarctic sailing. Any and all replies would be appreciated.

On 6/15/2021 at 1:42 PM, tazntom said:

Hello London calling; I'm looking at Viking Explorer for Jan. 2023 and I was looking for someone who may have taken an Antarctica expedition before. I'll be 73 for the trip and in fairly good shape, is there much strenuous activity involved in Antarctic sailing. Any and all replies would be appreciated.

Go for it.  My wife and I both did the cruise at at 67 and doing it again at age 72 in Nov (we hope).

They tend to cater to both those that can do the strenuous activity and those that want to take it easier.

Many of the land jaunts have a strenuous hike in the hills and a less of one along the shore.

4 hours ago, PaulMCO said:

Go for it.  My wife and I both did the cruise at at 67 and doing it again at age 72 in Nov (we hope).

They tend to cater to both those that can do the strenuous activity and those that want to take it easier.

Many of the land jaunts have a strenuous hike in the hills and a less of one along the shore.

PaulMCO: Thanks for the info, we took the leap and booked for 2023 on Viking Polaris. we are looking forward to it but there's still two years of cruising to do in the meantime. So after a minor surgery in August we cruise in Oct.2021, Jan.2022 and June 2022 and hopefully when cruise schedules settle out we will book a few more. 

thanks again for the info I was nervous when I watched you tube most people looked to be in their 40's.

maybe we'll meet on the lido someday.

Edited by tazntom

On 6/19/2021 at 6:48 PM, tazntom said:

PaulMCO: Thanks for the info, we took the leap and booked for 2023 on Viking Polaris. we are looking forward to it but there's still two years of cruising to do in the meantime. So after a minor surgery in August we cruise in Oct.2021, Jan.2022 and June 2022 and hopefully when cruise schedules settle out we will book a few more. 

thanks again for the info I was nervous when I watched you tube most people looked to be in their 40's.

maybe we'll meet on the lido someday.

PaulMCO another question, we're from Florida so we don't have a lot of warm clothes, did you rent your gear or buy what you needed? Either way could you say where you got the way clothes.

Thanks in advance.

Tom & Esther

• 1 month later...
On 6/25/2021 at 8:07 PM, tazntom said:

PaulMCO another question, we're from Florida so we don't have a lot of warm clothes, did you rent your gear or buy what you needed? Either way could you say where you got the way clothes.

Thanks in advance.

Tom & Esther

Sorry missed your question.

Presume Viking will provide you with the parka and boots.

Bought what we needed.  We used it for both Antarctic and Arctic cruises.  Will use it hopefully again in Nov..

Presume Viking has their Polar Gear shop.  We looked at what they had to offer and most of it was Patagonia brands.  Generally you will dress in layers.   Where of course -- Amazon but REI.com is another good source.

Key items --

Water proof pants (either light weight to go over your pants or snow boarding pants that are insulated and waterproof

Gloves (for me I picked camera type gloves)

Neck Gaiter

• Like 1

• 8 months later...

We just took Viking Octantis in January to Antarctica. It was fabulous.. Boots, pants and an under layer jacket and outer layer jacket were provided .We got to take both jackets home with us. We needed to bring hats gloves and scarves. 
Every aspect of the excursions were carefully  planned and there was lots of support for the less agile getting into the zodiacs. There is also a special boat where one just sits and motors around. Got very close to penguins and seals. 
The ship is so beautiful, the Scandinavian esthetic is carried through out the ship.

. I suggest you bring layers. Most people wore jeans @nd sweaters.

Perhaps something slightly more put together for dinner, but by no means dress up.

Lectures were outstanding and we had access to the lecturers throughout the voyage. We loved the ship so much we booked its Great Lakes cruise. 

• Like 1

• 1 year later...