Power hour - Arcade

miamimere

Looking at past fun times for our upcoming cruise and it appears that they offer a "power hour" in the arcade on night 1.  Does anyone know what this means?  It has the ($) next to it, so I assume it is discounted arcade games and not free. 

Thanks!!! 

Yes half off games during that time. My son is a video game junkie and I only let him go during power hours (which were usually once per day). The price really isn't bad at all during that time and pretty comparable to a land arcade.

• Like 1

Not all games are discounted, but many of them are. The cost to play each game is displayed on the LCD screen of the S&S card reader. You won't know which ones are discounted during Power Hour unless you remember what their regular price was. We did a 5-day aboard Valor last month and it had two Power Hours. The first was on day 2 (sea day) at 10am and the second was on day 3 (port day) at 5pm. It'll be on both the paper Fun Times and the digital version in the Hub app.

2 minutes ago, Ellaleah said:

I read on the Carnival site that you can preset a daily limit on each child’s card.  Has anyone done this?

I tried on my last cruise, but guest services said I could only set a spending limit for the entire cruise, not per day. A daily limit would be ideal, so they don't blow through it in a single day but it may just mean having a conversation with them around being smart with their money (not something all kids are capable of lol).

2 minutes ago, Ellaleah said:

I read on the Carnival site that you can preset a daily limit on each child’s card.  Has anyone done this?

The last time we set a limit for our son was back in 2016. At that time, they didn't allow daily limits, only a spending limit for the whole cruise. I've heard chatter about daily limits nowadays, but I'm not sure if they actually allow it.

If they still don't allow it, back then a Guest Services worker told me about a workaround that does allow daily limits, but it's a little more involved. For example, our son wanted to spend $20/day. On day 1, I set his limit to $20. Each day after that, I set the limit to $20 + the previous day's limits. Day 1 = $20, day 2 = $40, day 3 = $60, and so on. I had to set the new limit every day, which was less convenient, but I didn't mind. I just did it first thing in the morning when I was out & about. I did it from one of the kiosks.

• Like 1

i sailed w/ some friends and their 2 kids. they gave the younger one 20$ in cash a day. then they all went to GS and deposited that 20$ onto the kids S&S cards. the older kid was a bit better on budgeting and elected to have all his money placed upfront on the S&S card. on the 5 day cruise, he did run out of money on night 4. and of course he was miserable the last day.

On the Vista, the price on the displays automatically changed during the appointed times. On the Dream, a Carnival employee came around with a card and swiped them all to lower the price and then again to raise the price. He was late getting back so it was more like an hour and a half. The kids were all very happy about that!