Hawaii cruise from Seattle in October

anderson1203

We are looking to do a Hawaiian cruise from Seattle to Hawaii in early October. Hoping you can help...
1. What should we expect for sea conditions ?
2.  How long into cruise before weather is warm enough to enjoy sun and pool?

Your experience is greatly appreciated!

You can't go from Seattle to Hawaii, unless it is roundtrip back to Seattle. That would violate the law. Are you sailing from Vancouver? Or some other, legal routing?

If you look on the Hawaii board, here:

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/forum/37-hawaii/

you will see it can be cooler and rougher for about the first 48 hours, then warmer as you get closed to Hawaii.

Many ships have roofs that close over the midship pool. You probably can use that pool from day one.

I'm not aware of any sailings that go from Seattle to Hawaii, although I have seen a few that go from Vancouver.  For all intents and purposes conditions would be basically the same from either Seattle or Vancouver.

You could theoretically do a RT from Seattle to Hawaii as long as the ship did a stopover in Victoria or Vancouver, much like the stopover in Ensenada for the LA or SF to Hawaii RT’s.  In reality no one does that itinerary as it is much simpler to sail from Vancouver  where you can do it as either a RT or a one way since one end is a foriegn port.

I'm confused with the statement that "in reality, no one does that itinerary" as we have cruised to Hawaii RT three times - San Diego, L.A. and Vancouver.  While I can't speak specifically for Seattle, here are my impressions from our Vancouver trip (done at the end of Sept. in 2016, Star Princess):

1. The seas can be anything from lake calm to a bit rough.  The water was calm around the islands when we were there but the crossing can be a crap shoot (although the captain has a big ocean available to navigate around any serious storms).  

2. It will probably be cool for at least 2 days out and the last 2 days.  I generally tend to run a bit cold but I don't remember seeing a lot of others beside the pool at the beginning or end.

I don't want to be negative but just wanted to share - this was the sickest cruise we have ever been on.  Flu season comes early for our neighbors to the north and there were a ton of people onboard sick and got sicker as the cruise went on.  The theatre was a big cough fest.  I have never had the flu in my life (I'm 55) and take precautions, but there was no escaping it for us (were tested positive at medical and were quarantined for a few days).  

All that aside and don't mean to be a downer, all three of our HI cruises were wonderful and I love going in the fall.  I love Hawaii and I love sea days!  The last one we took was in Feb. and while we did see whales, the temps were a bit cooler than the fall trips and the foliage on the islands was not quite as vibrant in the winter.  

1 hour ago, peanutter said:

I'm seeing a Ruby Princess RT Hawaii cruise departing October 3, 2020.  There's also a Holland America one from Seattle, but it leaves in April.

There is a key legal difference between sailing roundtrip from Seattle (legal, if there a stop in a foreign port)) versus sailing one way Seattle-Hawaii, or Hawaii-Seattle, which is NOT legal.

5 hours ago, anderson1203 said:

We are looking to do a Hawaiian cruise from Seattle to Hawaii in early October. Hoping you can help...
1. What should we expect for sea conditions ?
2.  How long into cruise before weather is warm enough to enjoy sun and pool?

Your experience is greatly appreciated!

Hi, 

To get back to your original question........

I would think that it probably won't get warm enough for the pool until you are about halfway to Hawaii.  Of course Mother Nature is in charge of the weather.  🙂  However, I notice you are from Ohio so your definition of warm enough will be different than mine since I live in Arizona.  🙂

I can't help you with sea conditions since I have only sailed to Hawaii out of Los Angeles.   Out of 6 RT cruises to Hawaii we have had both very calm conditions and very rough conditions.

If you end up booking the cruise I am sure you will really enjoy it.  If you have a full day in Victoria BC that will be nice since there is lots to see.

For whatever help it offers, we sailed to Hawaii in October out of San Francisco.  The weather was good virtually all the way.  Since you are starting in Seattle, and likely going to Victoria or Vancouver, that will delay the good weather a little.  That time of year, you could have decent weather in Seattle/Victoria or it could be somewhat cool.  That part is definitely a crapshoot at this point. 

The seas are going to be what they are going to be.  It could be a calm crossing, or you could go through a storm or go through the remnants of a storm in terms of a higher sea state.  Weather forecasts are worthless 8 days ahead, so next year is a long way off.  The three crossing I made from the west coast to Hawaii or back were all very nice weather all the way.  That and about $2 will get you a cup of coffee.