Star Princess cabin E630

chipz

Cruised January 3 - 13, 2020 on Star Princess to Sea of Cortez.  Have done this cruise before.  Great itinerary: Cabo San Lucas overnight, La Paz, Loreto and Puerto Vallarta. As always with Princess, too short time in La Paz, Loreto and Puerto Vallarta.  We had issues with the cabin. It was an obstructed OV, although not too obstructed. It's between 2 tenders. The problem is that every night after 11pm, it's noisy with loud banging outside. Make sure you mention to the front desk. We did, and I was surprised to receive an OBC "for the inconvenience." They obviously know of the problem. Also, our cabin was flooded from the bathroom. We were told it was potable water. We were relocated to a small inside cabin. They suctioned water and dried carpet. we were out 2 days and 1 night. The rest of the cruise went smoothly.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

That's been my fear with Obstructed OV cabins.... that they all are loud.

Had the worst sleep on the Star in 2014 to Hawaii on Plaza deck. I don't even think it was an Obstructed cabin, just the banging from the tenders was super annoying. Can't recall cabin number .

Thanks for sharing. 

Edited by jennybenny

1 hour ago, chipz said:

Cruised January 3 - 13, 2020 on Star Princess to Sea of Cortez.  Have done this cruise before.  Great itinerary: Cabo San Lucas overnight, La Paz, Loreto and Puerto Vallarta. As always with Princess, too short time in La Paz, Loreto and Puerto Vallarta.  We had issues with the cabin. It was an obstructed OV, although not too obstructed. It's between 2 tenders. The problem is that every night after 11pm, it's noisy with loud banging outside. Make sure you mention to the front desk. We did, and I was surprised to receive an OBC "for the inconvenience." They obviously know of the problem. Also, our cabin was flooded from the bathroom. We were told it was potable water. We were relocated to a small inside cabin. They suctioned water and dried carpet. we were out 2 days and 1 night. The rest of the cruise went smoothly.

We are booked for E619 a couple times next year on the Star and the Grand. I have great ear plugs and never worry about noise on a cruise. I did not bring ear plugs on our first cruise, but I never will make that mistake again. The Plaza deck can be loud.

Almost all leaks are clean water. Sewer is a vacuum system so it seldom has leaks. At least you got some OBC, but being relocated would be unpleasant.

I love your attitude. So many on here, would be talking about it being the worst cruise ever and nitpicking every little thing. Leaks happen. I would not let it ruin my holiday. I would carry on with the vacation and have a good time, but I would expect Princess to compensate me for the situation.  

1 hour ago, chipz said:

Please add this cabin information in the Cabin/description/review sticky.

The link is below.

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/topic/2150432-princess-cabin-reviews-–-no-cabin-questions-posted-here-please/

• Like 1

On 1/20/2020 at 7:28 PM, RMMariner said:

We are booked for E619 a couple times next year on the Star and the Grand. I have great ear plugs and never worry about noise on a cruise. I did not bring ear plugs on our first cruise, but I never will make that mistake again. The Plaza deck can be loud.

We nearly always choose that cabin on the Grand Class ships and have never ever had any issues with noise.  

Yes, the Plaza deck can be noisy because of the stabilizers ... not the tenders, though.  I have been in the obstructed OV on the Emerald deck where they used the tender right outside our window.  Now, that was noisy but I'm an early riser so it usually didn't bother my sleep.  

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, Cruise Raider said:

We nearly always choose that cabin on the Grand Class ships and have never ever had any issues with noise.  

Yes, the Plaza deck can be noisy because of the stabilizers ... not the tenders, though.  I have been in the obstructed OV on the Emerald deck where they used the tender right outside our window.  Now, that was noisy but I'm an early riser so it usually didn't bother my sleep.  

That is good to hear. Thanks for the update.

We have not been in the cabin before, but we booked it for a 3 day from Vancouver to San Francisco on the Star. Then there is a two day layover in SF, and finally we take another 4 day cruise from SF to Vancouver on the Grand. We always take balconies but found we did not use them that much. Looking at pictures it looks like the view from the cabin is almost unobstructed and since we are below the photo area, it should be quiet at night.

We also considered the inside cabins on Deck 5 by the art gallery, but figured having a little natural light would be nice.

7 minutes ago, RMMariner said:

That is good to hear. Thanks for the update.

We have not been in the cabin before, but we booked it for a 3 day from Vancouver to San Francisco on the Star. Then there is a two day layover in SF, and finally we take another 4 day cruise from SF to Vancouver on the Grand. We always take balconies but found we did not use them that much. Looking at pictures it looks like the view from the cabin is almost unobstructed and since we are below the photo area, it should be quiet at night.

We also considered the inside cabins on Deck 5 by the art gallery, but figured having a little natural light would be nice.

We sail on the Grand class often and love those (un)obstructed OV cabins.  Not only are they are great bargain, but as you mention, they give you a lot of natural light.  E619 on the Grand Class basically has a cable running down in front of the window.  We don't really even notice it!  It is right across from the laundry room, which is double doored and rarely used, but it does scare others off from booking this cabin.  

And, as you mention, it is directly above the photo area so really, zero noise .. day or night.  We are light sleepers so, I'd be bothered if it were noisy ... it just isn't!  

We sometimes take E605 on this class of ship, as well ... but think E619, if you don't mind the aft cabins, has a little less obstructed view.  But, E605 is a little more midship and also very quiet at night.  

We were also on the Sea of Cortez cruise on Jan 3rd.  We were in B626 and also heard clunking noises starting every night around 10pm or so.  It was really hard to tell where it came from, we had a balcony, but it sounded like it was just above our balcony.  I was happy to see this topic discussed, I honestly thought it was a walker rolling around on the balcony at night or something strange like that.  Sounds like it is a problem with balconies on the Star.  We were farther back on the Grand in the past, and did not note this kind of noise.