Best way to book 2021

cruzdude1

Hello all, I want to book a cruise on Royal Carribean Symphony, 11/2021. 
what is the best way to book and leave myself options to get a better deal later or take advantage of sales?  

Should I book with the cruise line directly, or book with a TA, or book with the cruise line and then transfer the booking? 

I don’t think I have ever booked this far out. Thanks. 

There is no price advantage between the two as the pricing offered by the cruise lines directly is the same as that offered through a TA.  Also no benefit to pricing with booking directly then transferring to a TA. Either way you can take advantage of any future price decreases, but with a direct booking that is on you to track and notify the cruise line of your desire to reprice.  A good TA will do that for you.  A TA may also offer perks (typically OBC) not offered by the cruise line.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, leaveitallbehind said:

There is no price advantage between the two as the pricing offered by the cruise lines directly is the same as that offered through a TA.

I have found that you can get better pricing from a TA through their group space and they throw in a little OBC on top of that.  I'll never book directly again.

• Like 2

10 hours ago, Tree_skier said:

I have found that you can get better pricing from a TA through their group space and they throw in a little OBC on top of that.  I'll never book directly again.

Assuming they have group space reserved for the itinerary in question - and not all do.  But on an individual passenger basis the fare structure at any given time from the cruise line is the same direct as with a TA.  That being said I agree that along with potential group or block reserved fares, there are a number of advantages in booking through a TA.

On 1/21/2020 at 9:44 PM, Tree_skier said:

That is my experience also.  If you know what you want ... and are not going to get upset if something happens and you have to change your plans ... you can find a good cheap deal online and never talk to a person.  They will get you the best deal you can find including some nice benefits like on board credit, prepaid gratuities, or maybe even a discount.  The catch is it getting the no refund type plan.  When you see a better deal like 40% off you have to factor in the nonrefundable part if you decide to re-book.

If you think things may change, you are better off with a TA who you can get to know over time.  They will work for you and at least get as good of a deal as booking directly can do.

The only thing better directly is Next Cruise.  However, even that can be chancy on price.  They do give you some on board credit, but not the $600 they advertise unless you are booking a big suite and sailing on a long cruise.  You may get $100 or $200.  My problem is the people at Next Cruise are not very savvy about helping you find what you really want!  They have a simple search method that is very limited.  I find the online agents have a much more helpful search interface!  Find what you want ahead of time.  Book with Next Cruise, and don't let them trick you into something you did not plan for, then transfer back to your favorite TA later.

Our last Next Cruise booking was the worst room we ever booked.  Had I researched it ahead of time, we never would have taken that room!  I no longer trust them to help me find what I want.