Back from our first Costa cruise on Smeralda , my thoughts with pics.

heatherb1958

On 1/30/2020 at 1:43 PM, fragilek said:

Hi just to let you know to keep an eye out on the latest news re the ship you just got off as it seems some people on it may have the Coronavirus.  The ship is now in isolation awaiting testing results from these passengers they had been on the ship since 25th Jan.    

I am sure you may want to know this before seeing family and friends - I know I would

Already know about cheers.

15 hours ago, Plan B said:

Thanks for all the info - much appreciated.

I saw a photo of a weird looking hand washing station - did you use it?  I am allergic to some of the chemicals in liquid soap, shampoo, shower gel, washing u liquid etc etc etc so I always carry my own soap and anti bacterial gel.  Would I be able to use my own soap in these "stations" or is the soap incorporated in with the water?  Thanks, again 

My allergy is to Methylisothiazolinone (MIT) and Methylchloroisothiazolinone (CMIT

Here is the review where I saw the photo. 

https://www.cruisecritic.co.uk/memberreviews/memberreview.cfm?EntryID=676598

Yes to using the machines, they are the pits, splash everywhere on your clothes , you have to lean your body well back and make sure no loose jewellery. 

33 minutes ago, heatherb1958 said:

Yes to using the machines, they are the pits, splash everywhere on your clothes , you have to lean your body well back and make sure no loose jewellery. 

Too funny, I am the one that said “ Blackpool crowd and not Bournemouth” in MK-cruiser’s review . 

We were table neighbours With MK-cruiser the first night before the Vertigo attack and bumped into them regularly throughout the week. We have not cruised  Costa before so our experience was with fresh eyes , they had so had something to compare with.

Edited by heatherb1958

16 hours ago, Plan B said:

I saw a photo of a weird looking hand washing station - did you use it?  I am allergic to some of the chemicals in liquid soap, shampoo, shower gel, washing u liquid etc etc etc so I always carry my own soap and anti bacterial gel.  Would I be able to use my own soap in these "stations" or is the soap incorporated in with the water?  Thanks, again 

My allergy is to Methylisothiazolinone (MIT) and Methylchloroisothiazolinone (CMIT

sorry just realised I hadn’t answered your question regarding your own soap. The soap is incorporated in the machine , I think if it were liquid soap you put on before using machine you maybe ok but a bar definitely no, would slip out and no way of retrieving . 

Edited by heatherb1958

On 1/30/2020 at 9:09 PM, Plan B said:

HiPlan B,

That review and picture was mine.

The soap is dispensed automatically and it is strong - the photo shows my wife using it for the first and only time as it bought her hands out in as rash.

The trouble is normal hand sanitisers are few and far between - assuming they work

Hope this helps

Edited by MK_Cruiser1955
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, MK_Cruiser1955 said:

HiPlan B,

That review and picture was mine.

The soap is dispensed automatically and it is strong - the photo shows my wife using it for the first and only time as it bought her hands out in as rash.

The trouble is normal hand sanitisers are few and far between - assuming they work

Hope this helps

Hi there P and A , hope you had a good journey home . We had a lovely relaxing 4 nights in Sitges afterwards after all the excitement of the cruise though the damage from fallen trees and telephone lines was still there to be seen from the storm. We were definitely very lucky being installed on the ship .

Thanks for being there that first night , it was lovely meeting you both maybe we will meet on another cruise but doubt it will be yourself on Smeralda. 
take care. 
H and J . Xx

Edited by heatherb1958

9 minutes ago, heatherb1958 said:

Hi there P and A , hope you had a good journey home . We had a lovely relaxing 4 nights in Sitges afterwards after all the excitement of the cruise though the damage from fallen trees and telephone lines was still there to be seen from the storm. We were definitely very lucky being installed on the ship .

Thanks for being there that first night , it was lovely meeting you both maybe we will meet on another cruise but doubt it will be yourself on Smeralda. 
take care. 
H and J . Xx

Hi H&J,

An eventful journey home - when we got back to Luton Airport we discovered my car had been ransacked in a so called "secure" car park. Sat Nav, torch and some medical equipment taken but, ironically, they didn't take the expensive stuff - just a tad annoying but I've managed to replace everything, apart from the Sat Nav which I was going to chuck anyway.

Glad you had a good time in Sitges.

Taking a break from cruising for a while - a dozen in 2½ years is probably enough for a while but if any good last minute offers come up who knows - all I can say with certainty is we won't be cruising on a large ship again, definitely sticking to the smaller ones, althoughif we meet up again it would be good.

Take care P&A xx

Edited by MK_Cruiser1955
  • Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 1/30/2020 at 2:16 PM, jimbri said:

Great photos!

We'd like to give Smerelda a try, perhaps in early Summer, although the prices will be sharper. What photo app did you use to get the 20 pic thumbnail cluster effect ? TIA, regards Paul

• Like 1

13 hours ago, MrSilversurf said:

We'd like to give Smerelda a try, perhaps in early Summer, although the prices will be sharper. What photo app did you use to get the 20 pic thumbnail cluster effect ? TIA, regards Paul

Hi there Paul  , I use Google photos for free storage and back up then create albums which I can then share by creating a link, very easy to do though I do wonder sometimes if I am sharing my whole portfolio , 😆 😱
You can click on each photo for full view . 

2 hours ago, heatherb1958 said:

Hi there Paul  , I use Google photos for free storage and back up then create albums which I can then share by creating a link, very easy to do though I do wonder sometimes if I am sharing my whole portfolio , 😆 😱
You can click on each photo for full view . 

Thanks Heather, I'll give Google albums a try,