Getting to hotel from train station - Seward

Msterl63

We will be staying one night in Seward before boarding our cruise.  We will be taking the train from Anchorage to Seward and wonder what our options are getting from the train station to our hotel in Seward.  Walking isn't an option with our luggage and my husband is handicapped and can't walk far.  Our hotel doesn't have a shuttle service.

I remember there was a van that took us to our hotel. The vans were waiting on us . It's a very small town. One of my favorite places.  Make sure you go to the area by aquarium and see Ressurection Bay...it's breath taking.  If you have time go on a tour by Major Marine. Also by the cruise port is an area where the fisherman bring their catch...make sure you see the size of those fish!!

• Like 1

14 hours ago, katfer said:

I remember there was a van that took us to our hotel. The vans were waiting on us . It's a very small town. One of my favorite places.  Make sure you go to the area by aquarium and see Ressurection Bay...it's breath taking.  If you have time go on a tour by Major Marine. Also by the cruise port is an area where the fisherman bring their catch...make sure you see the size of those fish!!

Thank you for the information.  We are actually taking a 6 hour cruise of the Kenai Fjords NP with Kenai Fjords Tours.

On 1/29/2020 at 10:58 PM, Northern Aurora said:

While your particular hotel may not offer a shuttle service can they recommend one?

They said there is a free shuttle but I've read its not great for taking luggage.

40 minutes ago, Msterl63 said:

They said there is a free shuttle but I've read its not great for taking luggage.

I am a little fuzzy about what we are discussing here.  Is the mentioned "they" the hotel, and what shuttle company are they referring to?  Also where do you have hotel reservations?  Seward is a very small community, and so a taxi won't be very expensive.  And I really mean small community.  The Harbor 360 is close to the train station, but most of the hotel/motels won't be very far either.

If the shuttle the hotel is referring to is the one which does the scheduled route around town, then, yes it is not designed for luggage as the last time I saw one it was a school bus.  So no luggage storage lockers down below the seating nor overhead bins either.  Seward is one of those Alaskan communities where Alaskan residents go for recreation, so when we drive down from Fairbanks we have our own vehicle.  But my memory is that the shuttle with the community route has a minimal fee.  You will see scheduled and signed stops for the shuttle.

While your husband may have mobility issues, getting to the hotel will not be a problem.  We are friendly folks here in Alaska and there will friendly locals happy to help you.  

Hope you enjoy your stay in our state.  Those of us who live here think we live in a very special place.

• Like 1

On 2/1/2020 at 8:22 PM, Northern Aurora said:

I am a little fuzzy about what we are discussing here.  Is the mentioned "they" the hotel, and what shuttle company are they referring to?  Also where do you have hotel reservations?  Seward is a very small community, and so a taxi won't be very expensive.  And I really mean small community.  The Harbor 360 is close to the train station, but most of the hotel/motels won't be very far either.

If the shuttle the hotel is referring to is the one which does the scheduled route around town, then, yes it is not designed for luggage as the last time I saw one it was a school bus.  So no luggage storage lockers down below the seating nor overhead bins either.  Seward is one of those Alaskan communities where Alaskan residents go for recreation, so when we drive down from Fairbanks we have our own vehicle.  But my memory is that the shuttle with the community route has a minimal fee.  You will see scheduled and signed stops for the shuttle.

While your husband may have mobility issues, getting to the hotel will not be a problem.  We are friendly folks here in Alaska and there will friendly locals happy to help you.  

Hope you enjoy your stay in our state.  Those of us who live here think we live in a very special place.

Thank you for this information.

Check your luggage to the hotel, the train will do that, then go do what you want to and the luggage will be waiting, we did the 5 hour tour with Major Marine and then checked into the hotel and the brought the luggage.

16 hours ago, misguy said:

Check your luggage to the hotel, the train will do that, then go do what you want to and the luggage will be waiting, we did the 5 hour tour with Major Marine and then checked into the hotel and the brought the luggage.

I didn’t know a person could do that!  Thank you!  We will try doing that. 

1 hour ago, MsTerl said:

I didn’t know a person could do that!  Thank you!  We will try doing that. 

I would call/email the  Alaska Railroad to verify.  Of 10 yrs on this forum, I've never heard of such a service being provided, except for passengers on a cruisetour.

Please report back with the answer .... others will be interested.

Edited by mapleleaves
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, mapleleaves said:

I would call/email the  Alaska Railroad to verify.  Of 10 yrs on this forum, I've never heard of such a service being provided, except for passengers on a cruisetour.

Please report back with the answer .... others will be interested.

You can definitely check luggage from Anchorage to a ship, even if you are not on a cruise tour. We have done it twice. I doubt that you can check it to a hotel, unless the hotel comes to pick it up when the train gets in.

5 minutes ago, zqvol said:

You can definitely check luggage from Anchorage to a ship, even if you are not on a cruise tour. We have done it twice. I doubt that you can check it to a hotel, unless the hotel comes to pick it up when the train gets in.

Yes, I know the train will send luggage to the train. 

I was questioning post #9 which says " check your luggage to the hotel, the train will do that ".   

We had a tour scheduled with Major Marine on arrival at the train station, and we were booked at the Harbor 360 hotel.  When we checked our luggage at the train station, they asked which hotel, we told them and it was at our hotel when we got back from the tour.  I am can't swear that the train delivered it to the hotel, but at the train station they were asking everyone where they were staying.  It may be that the hotel picked up the luggage, but the results were the same, our luggage went from the train station to our hotel without our intervention.