:Formal night on Princess from the UK

riffatsea

Hi everyone,

Taking our first cruise from Southampton in 2021(if all goes well)

We live in San Diego which is a very casual place where people don't dress formally for any restaurants.

Our other cruising has been in the Caribbean,Central America, and Hawaii where "formal night" can mean nice slacks and a dress shirt for men.

I am thinking that  UK cruisers are a bit more formal than that but don't know for sure?

Wondering if I need to get DH to bring a sports coat at least because I know he hasn't worn a real suit since he retired many years ago.

On other Princess ships there seemed to be a wide variety of dress for men on those nights.

Not worried about me since I always dress up a bit.

Thanks for any advice. ---- I know it is a long time in the future but I enjoy planning!(LOL)

Hello,

What clothes to wear on a formal night has nothing to do with which country you start your cruise from.  But has more to do with which cruise line you sail with. For instance on Cunard you would need at least a suit and tie for formal. A lot of Americans as well as Brits cruise with them -  from New York as well as from Southampton.

You really need to ask on the Princess forum, although I see you have already posted on there about what to wear.

https://boards.cruisecritic.co.uk/topic/2729927-dining-room-attire-on-formal-nights/?tab=comments#comment-59276142

Hmm? Thanks for answering. Yes I know that different cruise lines have different requirements. Maybe you are correct that all Princess ships will treat "formal" night the same way but I was not sure about that which is why I am asking specifically UK cruisers if they have noticed a difference between cruises from their home country and cruises in the Caribbean/Mexico??

I am happy to think there is no difference but look forward to hearing ideas from other local UK residents.

We've not been on Princess out of the UK, but we were quite surprised on RCI's Independence OTS out of Southampton, at the number of people who dressed up for dinner- the majority of passengers were Brits, so possibly used to P&O, Cunard and others. It didn't seem to matter too much, though, if you preferred not to dress "elegantly". 

Sorry not to be of more help!

@jocap,

Thanks!! I think your RCI experience probably matches that of Princess.

I would have expected more folks to be dressed up sailing from the UK and it seems that your experience shows that I may be correct in that assumption.

• 7 months later...
On 1/31/2020 at 11:14 PM, riffatsea said:

@jocap,

Thanks!! I think your RCI experience probably matches that of Princess.

I would have expected more folks to be dressed up sailing from the UK and it seems that your experience shows that I may be correct in that assumption.

Having sailed ex-Southampton on RCI and Princess i should say that whilst RCI will have a a large number of passengers dressed to the nines Princess will have a greater number.  UK cruisers tend to dress up more, in general but not all of them.  I recall being on a table for eight where two couples said they were not bothering to dress up on the formal night whereas I confirmed we were.  Two absentees on our table were unknown as to their intentions for the following night.  I confirmed to the two couples it did neither affect or offend us at all.  However on the formal night when I arrived in tuxedo and daughter in party dress the two couples were gentlemen in cardigans and no ties and ladies also a bit casual.  I looked at the two previously absent diners and it struck me that a lady in a full ballgown and gentleman in formal military mess dress and medals things seemed a tad incongruous across the group however I had the potential faux pas covered.  Nobody said anything about it.

regards John

• Like 1