Skagway white pass train, book direct with train company?

dvandentop

Hello looks like the white pass railway is right by the port any reason to not just book direct with the train company and not book through cruise line? Saves around $40pp or more depending steam train vs the other one.

Highly unlikely going to not get back from excursion since i am sure there is a big group of people from all the ships in port.

OP, it is my understanding that only cruise passengers who book though their cruise line can board the train at the dock.  All others, like the private Dyeadave tour (which I am doing in May), have to board the train at the station.  I know that the Dyeadave folks will be transporting us to the station from the cruise dock that morning.  Not sure if this will make a difference for you in your booking decision.

Have just booked Dyea Dave Tour going to Emerald Lake with pick up at cruise port (07:45 AM), he will then drop us off in Fraser on the way back to board the train (3:30 PM) for ride into Skagway.  Dyea Dave will then pick us up at train station and deliver us to either town or ship, whichever we request.  Dyea Dave cost will be $178.00 for 2 people and the White Pass train will cost $189.00 for 2 people.  You must pay for your train ticket now but Dyea Dave will not charge you till after the tour (Cash or check, no credit card). I have already called and talked with Dyea Dave and reserved the tour and have also called and talked with White Pass railroad and paid for train tickets.  We will be in Skagway on Saturday, 6/6/2020.

Ferry-Watcher is correct in saying that only those passengers that book through the cruise line are able to board the train at the cruise port, all others must use the train.

Edited by famski740
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, famski740 said:

Have just booked Dyea Dave Tour going to Emerald Lake with pick up at cruise port (07:45 AM), he will then drop us off in Fraser on the way back to board the train (3:30 PM) for ride into Skagway.  Dyea Dave will then pick us up at train station and deliver us to either town or ship, whichever we request.  Dyea Dave cost will be $178.00 for 2 people and the White Pass train will cost $189.00 for 2 people.  You must pay for your train ticket now but Dyea Dave will not charge you till after the tour (Cash or check, no credit card). I have already called and talked with Dyea Dave and reserved the tour and have also called and talked with White Pass railroad and paid for train tickets.  We will be in Skagway on Saturday, 6/6/2020.

Ferry-Watcher is correct in saying that only those passengers that book through the cruise line are able to board the train at the cruise port, all others must use the train.

This is EXACTLY our plan for when we visit Skagway with Radiance OTS on June 22nd. I hope you return here and post a review - and/or tips!