Cordon Bleu Workshop/class

jax

jax, I know a lady who did this and enjoyed it. I'm not sure she posts here anymore. No, you do not have to have a partner for the course, but as I remember, you have a final meal, and for that you can invite another person to enjoy it.

My wife did the Cordon Bleu class last September on Voyager and loved it. She did it without me or any specific partner, they just paired up. I still got the benefits (besides her being happy!) since spouses are invited to the class reception (that wasn't obvious, but turnd out to be the case), the class dinner in La Veranda (to socialize), and the graduation reception and dinner in Signatures.

As an aside, if you are on a Cordon Bleu class cruise, don't count on eating in Signatures the last night out...it is reserved exclsuively for the graduation dinner.

Anyway, she (and I) thought this was great fun!

We are doing one this June, and I'm sure ChatKat will respond when she sees this post--she's doing her second class with us.

I'm still not sure whether we both will do it, or just one of us--we're both signed up. My husband really wants to do it, I'm on the fence. I figure if I get the benefits, then I should let him go for it.

I did the class and enjoyed it. I took the class with my aunt but you don't need a partner. My husband wasn't on that particular cruise so I invited a CC friend to the graduation dinner and that was fine.

It's a lot of fun and if you decide to do it I'd love to hear a review of it. When I took the course we learned to prepare several different recipes. I would have preferred more general classes, such as how to prepare different kinds of sauces, or the secrets of making souffles. Others who have done this course said they did have that kind of class so I'm curious to know what they are doing these days.

Jax - Several of the LCT crowd on WAVE (Monte Carlo to Dover in June) are taking the class, including Kathy (ChatKat), David and/or Wendy, and me. Assuming that we do not cut off any important fingers, thereby making typing posts difficult, one or two or several of us will make a diligent effort to post a description of the course, the special events, how good looking the instructor chefs are, and other matters which inquiring culinary and/or lecherous (re: instructor chefs issue) minds might want to know. Cheers, Fred

Oh my, can you all imagine my delight at finally meeting Freddie was we troop off to Africa together with the same group in April? We have both posted here a long time, even more so than shows, since they knocked off our posts at some point a couple of years ago. And we are on the same cruise (same PLANE, I think for bear watching) in Alaska in August! Can't wait to meet you Freddie, and I think my sister in law has even more anticipation than me!

The Cordon Bleu class will be a treat to any who take it, I promise. Enough for me to do it again with new friends.

We had a great time - Ridolphi who posts here and I were in the same class on the Mariner in 2003.

Olivia, meeting Freddie is more than a treat, I can assure you. BTW, Freddie, the first Cordon Bleu class I took in 2003 caused several of us to melt with one look from the Chef!

You will love the class. It's a good balance of technique and fun. Don't expect a terribly serious experience...there will probably be at least one person in the class who has never been in a kitchen before. But there will also be those with previous training. I've done two and am fighting the urge to do a third on the spring crossing. You don't need a partner, but will find it a great opportunity to meet people with similar interests.

Jax,

We've taken the Cordon Bleu classes 3 times and are booked for a 4th time on the Voyager Transatlantic in November. These classes are always great fun for anyone who is interested in cooking and the we always learn something. The range of cooking experience of the students can vary alot but there is usually a very interesting group of people and the teachers are great. You should have a wonderful time.

In terms of having a partner: It is not necessary. At the beginning of each session there is a lecture/demonstration by the chef/instructor. After that, the class divides up into sub-groups of 3 to 4 people each who share a work table. Often the people in each group help each other out and share chores such as chopping onions, but each participant is usually expected to make his or her own presentation of the finished dish.

I have also booked the Cordon Bleu course for June, Monte Carlo to Dover.

My question for the experienced cruisers: Will I get some kind of schedule before sailing. I would like to know what the instruction and social schedule will be so that I can plan shore excursion, other on board get togethers and make dinner plans for the free nights. So far, I only know the graduation dinner is on the last night. I have assumed the classes are likely on the days at sea (I am counting the day we arrive in Lisbon as we do not arrive until the late afternoon).

The other thing I am concerned about is that other than having booked early and have paid in full (including the course), I have nothing from RSSC confirming I am registered for the class. Is this normal?

You'll receive a letter on embarkation giving you the schedule of classes and dinners. There will be an introductory reception, which was held just after sailaway last time, but sometimes is a night or two later. Then there will be three half-day (2-3 hour) sessions, which alternate morning and afternoon usually on sea days. You'll make an appetizer, main course, and dessert. Plus a private galley tour that includes all the storerooms and a peek into the locked liquor storeroom. Somewhere in the middle is a reception and dinner just for your group, and finally the graduation reception, "graduation" and dinner. Last time there were three different classes, which were larger than usual. Didn't present any particular problems as we split into the two kitchen areas of Lattitudes and had an instructor supervising each. I think this class is becoming more popular as time goes on.

I don't think you will get any information until you board.

I seem to be the only person who was disappointed in the class. I took it on the Mariner in 2004 over Thanksgiving. Don't get me wrong, I had a lot of fun, but for anyone who enjoys cooking, I felt is was a bit too basic. They give you the recipe for the class, demonstrate, and then as a group of 3 or 4 you make it. What you basically get is 3 recipes, a Cordon Bleu cookbook of basics (some nice recipes) and a dinner. So saying, I really had a great time but I could find better ways to spend the money.

How do I find out if my Mariner cruise has a Cordon Bleu class? I'm on the 18-day Auckland-LA crossing in November, which has 10 sea days, more than enough to squeeze a Cordon Bleu class. I would love to do one!

LeeAnne

Wendy,

When I took the class in 2003, we prepared Fruit Crepes in a Sabyon sauce, Crab Salad in an Asparagus ring (this was HARD to make - it was all presentation) and we made Filet of Beef with a truffle and Foie Gras Cabernet reduction, French style baby veggies in a sugar/butter sauce.

I renamed the class :"Cooking with Butter" and Cooking with MORE Butter.

Everything was incredible and it was so much fun!

Archived