Travelling between Gatwick Airport and Ocean Cruise Terminal, South Hampton

G and P

Hi Everyone,

I don't know if this topic was discussed, if so I apologize for being repetitive.

We arrive to Gatwick Airport early in the morning. I see there is a train going to Southampton.

It is about 1/2 the cost of the ships' transfer and faster as well. A short taxi ride would be required in South Hampton.

I'm wondering if any of you have gone by train before and if so , how did it work out?

Alternately, is anyone planning to take the train between Gatwick and Southampton?

If so we would love to hear from you.

Regards   Pam

Take the train (the station is in the airport). Go to https://www.southernrailway.com/ and book in advance (choose a train with no changes). The fare can be as little as £5.00 but you need to be sure you can catch the train you book or you will have to pay the full 'walk-up' price of £37.50. Alternatively, if you want more flexibility, pick an 'anytime' ticket at £17.00 or so.

The train station at Southampton is not far from the port and some people walk it, although that may depend a number of factors - your fitness, how much luggage, and the weather. Taxi would be around £10.00

As long as you are not travelling on a Sunday, you'll be fine. There is no direct train on a Sunday...you have to go via Clapham Junctio which is a right pain! If you are sailing from the City Cruise terminal [berth 101](usually RCI, Celeb and NCL) its an easy 10 min walk from the station, but you say you are going from Ocean terminal. Thats a 20 min walk or a cab...up to you.

This map shows where everything is in Southampton (note spelling!)

image.thumb.png.c0540698b70bbf876b7bd21b15674b8d.png

Simon

Edited by sddsddean
map added

SDDDDSSSDEAN  nailed it.  Unless it's Sunday, Train is inexpensive, relatively quick, and a pleasant ride.  At Gatwick the station is right at the airport, and in Southampton it's between 1-3km depending on which cruise terminal you're going from (we've always walked to/from City cruise, but Ocean is a bit further).

In UK Train codes you're looking at "Gatwick Airport" (GTW) to "Southampton Central" (SOU).

For Sunday travel, I'd avoid wanting to change in London, or changing at Clapham Junction.  There are some trains that involve a same platform change at "Ford", it's a half-hour wait between trains and makes the journey 2h30m, but it is same platform change.

6 hours ago, wongcruise said:

Thank you very much.  This is so helpful.  Is there space to store our luggage (carry on size) on the train?  I assume the "Advance" tickets can be purchased online. 

Racks above the seats, and a mid day train will be fairly empty, so grab a foursome of seats and just put it in there.

6 hours ago, wongcruise said:

Thank you very much.  This is so helpful.  Is there space to store our luggage (carry on size) on the train?  I assume the "Advance" tickets can be purchased online. 

Essentially they are commuter trains, but many cruisers have used them. Just try and get a 2 facing 2 or 3 facing 3 seat (on right in photo), so you have space between you for luggage and as Scott says, there are overhead racks. Heres a typical interior.

image.png.fd73f5270ea23209323ba0243c69704a.png

As to websites, the two best ones to try are https://www.nationalrail.co.uk/  which should give you the cheapest options, and https://www.southernrailway.com

Bear in mind that you can't book tickets until 12 weeks before travel date.

Simon

On ‎2‎/‎6‎/‎2020 at 3:00 AM, Bob++ said:

Take the train (the station is in the airport). Go to https://www.southernrailway.com/ and book in advance (choose a train with no changes). The fare can be as little as £5.00 but you need to be sure you can catch the train you book or you will have to pay the full 'walk-up' price of £37.50. Alternatively, if you want more flexibility, pick an 'anytime' ticket at £17.00 or so.

The train station at Southampton is not far from the port and some people walk it, although that may depend a number of factors - your fitness, how much luggage, and the weather. Taxi would be around £10.00

Is there a time frame to purchase "anytime" tickets -- i.e. must they be purchased some time in advance, vs. paying walk-up price of 37.50?  I know the date we want to travel to Gatwick, just not sure of time of day, so anytime sounds like the best choice for us. 

10 hours ago, yvr49 said:

Is there a time frame to purchase "anytime" tickets -- i.e. must they be purchased some time in advance, vs. paying walk-up price of 37.50?  I know the date we want to travel to Gatwick, just not sure of time of day, so anytime sounds like the best choice for us. 

"Anytime" is a walk-up fare, as its name suggests. Indeed, so is "Off-peak". The difference between those two is simply that the "Anytime" will allow you to travel on peak trains (it looks like it's something like up to 0900 on weekdays) as well as off-peak trains.

A quick look at one random day in a couple of weeks' time suggests that a single (ie one-way) "Off-peak" is £17.00 and a single "Anytime" is £17.70.

16 hours ago, Bob++ said:

The consensus here seems to be that the best deals are around twelve weeks out.

Tickets become available at 12 weeks.  I'm not sure about Southern's Southampton->Gatwick, but generally on Southwestern the discounted tickets tend to not be available until 10 weeks out, but it just pays to keep an eye open.