Trading Places

Firepath

There's a cruise early in 2021 that I'm thinking to book for myself and spouse, but there's a possibility that I'll need to take our adult daughter instead (long story). If that happens, can I just "switch" passengers on the booking, or would I have to add one and cancel the other? Or if I just add her because all 3 of us are travelling, would adding her just be at the current rate, and us two stay the same with all the same perks, or do we all need to cancel and rebook?

48 minutes ago, Firepath said:

There's a cruise early in 2021 that I'm thinking to book for myself and spouse, but there's a possibility that I'll need to take our adult daughter instead (long story). If that happens, can I just "switch" passengers on the booking, or would I have to add one and cancel the other? Or if I just add her because all 3 of us are travelling, would adding her just be at the current rate, and us two stay the same with all the same perks, or do we all need to cancel and rebook?

Generally, it's best to go ahead and book everyone that might be on the cruise, cancelling anyone who isn't going to make it (preferably before the Paid in full date).  That way everyone gets the earlier booking perks (if any) and there's no issue with adding a 3rd person later (could happen, if life boat is full for that room).

• Like 1

It may vary by cruise line, but if you are only replacing someone on the reservation and not adding anyone additional, typically as long as at least one of the original booking names remains on the reservation, the other(s) can be changed with no other impact to the reservation.

If you are adding an additional person to an existing reservation, that would typically require a rebooking, which would then be at the current rate and perks program. 

You could book all that may go on your original reservation and drop someone later without impact.  You would have to pay a deposit for all, however, which may or may not be fully refundable, based on the type of booking you make.

To be sure of any restrictions, I would contact the cruise line in question - or your travel agent - to confirm.

Edited by leaveitallbehind
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1