Eurostars Grand Marina Hotel - ok for a prenight before cruse?

gailellen12

I would appreciate hearing from anyone who stayed at this hotel before or after their cruise.  The location seems ok and the price is right in line with other similar hotels.  Also, is a taxi the best way to get from the airport into Barcelona?  I will be traveling solo until I join up with friends on the cruise so I am ruling out public transportation on my own with suitcases in hand!  Thanks in advance or any suggestions/advice.

The city of Barcelona sets a fixed rate for taxis for the Cruise Port / Airport journey, currently 39 Euros. As the hotel you're interested in is very close to the cruise port this should be a good guide as to the cost of a taxi from the airport. Plus a taxi will take you to the front door of the hotel, public transport will not.

I haven't stayed in the Grand Marina Hotel, out of my budget range, but I don't like the location as to me it's always appeared to be isolated. It's built at the end of a jetty sticking out in to the harbour, there is nothing else near the hotel. I prefer staying somewhere with amenities nearby.   

To some people isolated location is a bonus, less chance of being pickpocketed and less noise at night. As I said before, it's 10 min walk from foot of Las Ramblas. 

After being in Barcelona many times to me Ramblas loses its novelty. I prefer quieter areas like anything north of Passeig De Gracia or near Sagrada.

• 2 weeks later...

I have not stayed there but I have it booked on May 7th.  No one gave you advice that have stayed there so I thought I would let you know what I have found.  The price matches most of the hotels in the area I wanted to stay.  It has some good reviews and some bad reviews.  The good ones were good enough for me to book.  I still have not decided how I am getting from the airport but I am leaning toward a Taxi that should be about 40 euros.  At first I was going with the bus then the metro but someone mentioned Barcelona is bad for pick pockets and I did not want to take the chance on the way to the ship and not have something I need.  The hotel is on the Jetty but that gets us away from traffic.  The Hop on Hop off bus has a stop at our hotel so that is what we are using for running around town on Friday before our cruise.  The day of your cruise you have a small chance the ship will be docked right next to our hotel.  If it is not then you will want to take a taxi or walk out to the end of the Jetty and get on the cruise ship shuttle bus for 3 euros.

I think I made a good choice and I hope you feel the same.

• 2 weeks later...

I flew to BCN for a NCL cruise in 2015. Arrived on Fri for a Sunday cruise.  Took a taxi from airport to Grand Marina for around $30-35 USD I believe.  I liked how the hotel was on the little peninsula away from the "city" for me as a solo female traveller.  It is easy walking distance to Las Ramblas, which I felt safe doing during the day.  I took the HopOn/Off bus all day Saturday, there is a stop right in front of the hotel   The views from the rooftop deck/pool are amazing!!!  Great pictures from there.   If you pay more you can likely get a a room with a good view of water, city, and/or with a balcony.  I did not and had a room facing the interior plaza of the trade center area mostly, but still nice. I loved my stay there and took a taxi from the hotel to the cruise port the day of my cruise.  You could walk it, but I wouldn't with many luggage pieces since taxi is so easy.  I only saw day-visit ships and yachts docking at the area right at the hotel, the major lines with big ships are at the terminals across the bay/bridge. In one of the pics attached you can see the distance to the larger port area from the hotel roof.  

I am going back to BCN at the beginning of April for a cruise on MSC with my DH, and would definitely stay there again.  We are booked at Port Vell H10 hotel with a water view room, but it is only for early arrival 1 night precruise and it was cheaper.

Any other questions lmk!  Happy traveling!

20150918_143639.jpg

20150918_143845.jpg

20150918_161318.jpg

20150920_093114.jpg