alaska september

a.madruga

More darkness = more opportunity to see aurora; but low cloud ceiling = cannot see aurora even if it's there.

Which way the odds will swing on any given day or week, impossible to say - but as always an Alaskan cruise is a poor choice if this is a priority, better to do a specific aurora-focused trip (e.g. Iceland - year-round service from Orlando on Icelandair and tons of 'come for a weekend and see the aurora' breaks over winter; you almost-certainly have passports if you are planning a one-way cruise into Vancouver).

If the cruise is primary and the aurora just a 'hey, great if it happens but no big whoop' then my list would be the same as Crewnews' above.

On 2/8/2020 at 12:02 PM, gottagoacruzn said:

The first time in Alaska was in Sept, an I saw the northen lights, better mention it was a clear night.

Were you in the panhandle (Juneau, Skagway, etc.) or inland (Anchorage or Fairbanks) when you saw the aurora?

I'll be cruising the panhandle Sept. 12-19; no inland.

Depends on how late into September....

Two of my late August trips have been from from Anchorage (8/29) and RT from Vancouver (8/30) so home by September 6 both times.  Had clear weather, temps in the 60's to low 70's on land and saw the Aurora on both trips.  The best viewing was between Sitka and Icy Strait.  I don't mind that it isn't light until 11 pm since I am usually in bed by then anyway.  

I will say that on my southbound trip from Anchorage on 8/29 those on the cruise tour ( prior 3 days) reported snow in Denali so that may matter to you.  

Overall, my best trip have been late August and into the first week in September but nothing is guaranteed from year to year.

Sometimes, in mid to late September, in Skagway, the best viewing of he lights will be prior to the departure time of the ships.

The most important factor then will be cloudless and low moon size.

Then the key thing is to get away from the ship and the light polution of the town.

Next, find a local with reliable vehicle who can transport you out to the train yard/cemetery area  to look for the  lights. (Least light pollution in our area!)

i have done this a few times with moderate success and we haven't missed a ship, yet!?!

i think perhaps gottagocruisin may have seen them from the ship as they rounded the turn down at Haines?

This might be worth staying awake for if the night is clear as you depart Skagway?

DD