What to buy at each port

Wondering what are the best things to buy IF we are going to shop on each of the islands:

1. St. Thomas
  2. St. Maarten
  3. Dominica
  4. Barbados
  5. Grenada

I've read that a lot of the "souvenirs" are the same from island to island. But, I'm more interested in things like liquor, jewelry (local, not high end), clothing, etc.

Thank you!

13 minutes ago, MerePrize said:

Wondering what are the best things to buy IF we are going to shop on each of the islands:

1. St. Thomas
  2. St. Maarten
  3. Dominica
  4. Barbados
  5. Grenada

I've read that a lot of the "souvenirs" are the same from island to island. But, I'm more interested in things like liquor, jewelry (local, not high end), clothing, etc.

Thank you!

St. Thomas is good for liquor -- except you used to be able to do better with French cognac on St. Maarten - maybe still can?

There is a lady in Philipsburg who makes great chocolates (Belgian Chocolate Shop) -- if it's still there.

There a great local hot sauce in Barbados, called 'Delish' -- don't be put off by its mustard-yellow color.

Grenada is the place for all things spice. You can even take tours of old spice factories.

Dominica is a beautiful island, and we saw lots of local art there (didn't buy any, though).

Do be careful about jewelry purchases. All of the mainstream cruiselines (and X is no exception) really push their local favorites, with 'guarantees' that may not even be worth the paper they're printed on. So, a big 'caveat emptor' on that one.

Just remember that suitcases magically become heavier on the way home, than they were, when you left for your cruise! 😜

• Like 1

St Maarten-definitely go to Amsterdam Cheese and Wine near port (about a 10 minute walk past the security gates).  Great prices on Gouda wheels (leave sealed in order to be allowed to return to the U.S.

If you port in Roseau Dominica I do not recommend you walk from port.  No real shops nearby and definitely sketchy.  Would recommend doing a ship-based tour there as it is a beautiful island once you get out of port and they need your $$.