Prime Rib

youagain

13 hours ago, rs45thompson said:

Will be going on the Breakaway February 29. Do you remember if they had the lobster tails?

No Lobster tails in MDR which isn't new and not a bad idea. The Lobster most ships offer or used to offer is frozen and really not at all tasty. There are many other choices that are better. 

I agree with jaja about the prime rib. We are lovers of prime rib but what is served in the MDR on most mass marketed cruises isn't worth ordering. As for the cut back in the MDR I think it is a no brainer. With all the dining choices now offered with "free at sea" the MDR menu is bound to not be as appealing as in the Good Old Days. 

1 hour ago, ready2cruzagain said:

Yeah, the coal fish was the WORST!!!  Also, had 2 different types of trout on 2 different nights, cod one night, pollack (yes pollack which is $1.99 lb here ) on MDR  menu.  One night they did offer walleye which is $11.99 a pound here and that was the most expensive fish offered.  I did not get it though since we live at Lake Erie and can catch it for free. :classic_rolleyes:

No lamb chops, they offered lamb shank.  I took pictures of most of the menus, need to get them on the computer and post them.  IMO, the menus were just a step above Carnivals Meatloaf, Fried Chicken, etc.  We are sailing Nieuw Statendam this year and have can't wait to try their food, I seen they have Halibut on the MDR menu and I can't wait, one of my favorite fish.

My favorite fish is Walleye so naturally I ordered it.  Boy was I disappointed, it was dry and had no taste at all.  I'm not convinced it was even Walleye.  The MDR menu on our 11 day cruise on the Epic was very disappointing.  Another dish that surprised me was the Idaho Potato Pot Pie.  When served it was a plate of stew with an empty bake phyllo dough setting on top.  NCL has really gone downhill.

I cruised with Holland for the first time last June and I was surprised one night when surf and turf was on the menu in the MDR.  It was a filet mignon and lobster tail.  I'm cruising with Holland again this May.

Edited by Oakman58
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, blcruising said:

Some interesting selections in the MDR from our recent cruise.....

Spinach and Ricotta Stuffed Pepper

Turkey Escalope

Broiled Bluefish

Beef Ghoulash

Turkey Medallions

Vegetable Burrito

No shrimp, no scallops. Boo!!

One of the nights on our 11 day Epic cruise scallops were offered on the appetizer side of the menu.  Everyone at our table laughed when four dime-size scallops were served.  I've never seen such small scallops in all my travels.