La Perla

Ms411

I have a serious question for you guys: Why do people want to go into La Perla for?

Locals that have nothing to do with La Perla don't even go there! I know the "Despacito" music video put it into the mainstream but that place is NOT the cultural melting pot or hip spot that the video portrays. And I have seen travel bloggers film in La Perla but enevr understood why. Just yesterday, Feb. 14, a tourist was mobbed and robbed of a few bucks and a GoPro camera. Yes. Crime is everywhere you walk. Be it in Puerto Rico, on any of the other islands, even where everyone might happen to live. You have to have common sense and be aware of your surroundings. But walking into places like La Perla is just rolling the dice on your safety. Again, this is NOT a tourist area. This is NOT an area for locals. La Perla is it's own little world. I live in PR. I have been to almost every corner of Old San Juan. But there's nothing that can drive me to say "you know what? I've never been down there. I'll just go and see what's it all about".

• Like 1

Been in La Factoria a few times. Was just there last week.  Easy to move around on a Thursday night.   Packed by 10:30pm on a Friday night.  Can be difficult to get drinks there when packed. Usually, easier to get drinks at the lowest bar on the side street entrance.  Lots of great little cheap bars next door.  Fun area on San Sebastian St.  but gets crazy after 11pm on the weekend.