Formal night on 5 night IOS to Western Caribbean

Hello. I will be cruising on the Independence of the Seas in March. Is there a formal night on a 5 night Western Caribbean cruise? I think they are now calling it “Dress To Impress”. Do many people sailing actually get formal? I would like to, but don’t want to stick out like a sore thumb. Thank you. 

1 hour ago, cruisincorgi said:

Hello. I will be cruising on the Independence of the Seas in March. Is there a formal night on a 5 night Western Caribbean cruise? I think they are now calling it “Dress To Impress”. Do many people sailing actually get formal? I would like to, but don’t want to stick out like a sore thumb. Thank you. 

Formal or "Dress Your Best" night is usually on Day 2 or the 1st sea day on a 5 day cruise. 

You will see everything from formal attire to shorts. If you want to dress up, go for it! You wont be alone. 🙂

Enjoy your cruise!

7 hours ago, cruisincorgi said:

Especially on a short cruise, very, very few actually get formal. Casual attire (even shorts) are common now days. 

On 2/14/2020 at 12:17 PM, cruisincorgi said:

This is the exact wording  on the compasses for Dec,19,  Indy  doing the Labedee ,Falmount five day. We leave sat on her doing this route.   Where what you want. No shorts at dinner but that statement now is a joke. 

day 1 casual

day 2 Formal

day 3 Tropical

day 4 casual

Day 5 casual

Edited by villager70

There is not such thing as Formal Nights!  Our recent cruises, we have seen sleeveless tank tops on men, gym shorts, tee shirts, barefoot and worse in the main dining rooms!   No dress codes at all.  They don't want to offend anybody!  Lol.

We are doing a 4-day and 5-day (B2B) and will be dressing up for the "Formal Night" on both!  Actually on the 4-Day on the 4th night we will be dressed up for the MDR because we will be getting married hours before dinner and will keep on our attire!

• 2 weeks later...

I specifically asked this question to RC regarding our 5 night upcoming sailing and got this reply:

Thank you for your email. We apologize for the delay in our response.

Welcome back! There are typically no formal nights on a sailing of five nights or fewer. Main Dining Room and specialty dining venue dress code is as follows:

Resort Casual - Casual dress is the perfect way to enjoy this adventure. Feel free to kick back in jeans, polos, golf or Bermuda shorts, t-shirts, blouses or sundresses. Remember to keep swimwear for the pool deck only.

Wear Your Best - Say goodbye to Formal Night, and hello to Wear Your Best. Get glamorous. Be chic. It’s time to shine - your way.

Dress to Impress - Nighttime’s the right time to wear your best look. That means a step up from your typical dinner wear, and includes collared shirts, dresses, skirts, blouses and pantsuits. Jackets, tuxedos/formal wear sports coats and blazers are also appropriate. For those nights marked as "Dress to Impress" guests are encouraged to wear the following:

•    For Women: nice shoes, slacks and blouse or a nice dress
•    For Men: slacks, nice polo shirt or a collared shirt (sports jacket if they wish)
•    No T- shirts, jeans or sneakers.

Please refer to your daily Cruise Compass for the nightly recommended attire.

So I gather it is not called "formal night" but dress to impress and I believe one is usually held on the first sea day.