Getting a cabin for one cheaper than with NO supplement.

evag

I was looking at a travel agency's website that had a grid and it showed a HAL cruise that was discounted 65% for $441 but when you went to the singles rate with NO single  supplement it was higher because they charge you the rack rate of  $1193.  Now of course, it is not sanctioned by ANY cruise line that you book for two people and you make up a second person who won't be coming at all but there is nothing to stop you from paying for a booking for two people where the second (real) person is highly unlikely to show up and thus is a no show, the port charges are refunded, just FYI.

• Like 2

On 2/17/2020 at 10:36 PM, pootsien2 said:

So,have you ever done a booking like that?And no penalty when the second pax didn't show? Do you just say "it was after final payment and you couldn't find a replacement"?

There isn't a penalty for a no-show.  And you don't even have to say anything to anyone.  Just check in and enjoy your cruise.

I also wouldn't have a problem booking a totally fake name for the second person, but I've never had to go that route. 

When I booked a couple Royal Caribbean cruises where they had "half off the second person" but I was traveling as a solo, if I tried to do it on their website, it wanted to charge me full price for the single supplement (total of 200% of the first person's fare), instead of just charging me the half-price second person rate (total of 150% of the first person's fare). But I actually book through a friend who is a travel agent so he gets the commission (the cost is the same to me either way, so why not help a friend?), and when he booked it with Royal, they honored the lower 150% rate. 

So keep that in mind, if you come across a situation where, due to a sale price, it's cheaper for two than it is for one -- it may just be a function of the limitations of the computer system on the website, and a travel agent (or phone call to the cruise line) might take care of the issue.

• Like 3

• 1 month later...