Your Thoughts DV1 Rear Facing Cabin (5110) Star?

need2cruisesoon

We were in 5111 last year.  The room itself is the same as all DV staterooms.  We loved the view off the aft facing veranda and would select that room again.  It was so quiet back there that we never saw anyone coming or going from the rooms around us over our 15 day cruise.  The supply room for the room stewards is directly across the hall, but do not let that worry you.  You will never hear any noise from them.  We actually like seeing several of the stewards there in the morning getting ready to start their day.  It gave us the opportunity to talk with several of them and they were all a joy.  Enjoy your cruise!

Interesting - because we just booked this cabin for a Caribbean cruise next spring.  We have been booking PV1s but we were looking for something cheaper and close to home for that spring cruise.  I’d been looking at other lines (shhh don’t tell) because Viking usually leaves the Caribbean by the end of March. We did the West Indies Explorer a couple of years ago at the end of March and we had some stress about a late season blizzard back home.  My husband said he was never cruising in snow season again 😝

I wasn’t finding anything interesting, so I expanded my search to March thinking maybe I’ll find something at the very end into April.  I found an Iconic Southern on Viking Sky. I mentioned it, but the price for our customary PV was more than we wanted to spend.

The very next morning I get an email from Viking with a special offer for guests booked on another cruise.  (They really are psychic!) I looked again at the price.  The PV was still too high, but the DV was doable.  I mentioned it again.  My husband said, “On Viking?”  My answer was, “Yes, but it’s March 9, and you didn’t want to cruise in March.”

He said, “but it’s Viking!”  I said, “yes, but we have to do have to do a DV with no couch, no liquor in the mini bar, and the closet by the bed.”  He said, “but it’s Viking!”  

I said, “It’s ports we’ve done before.”  He said, “but it’s Viking!”

LOL I found 5110 was available and we love the aft or aft wraps, and that was the clincher for me.  My husband simply said, “but it’s Viking!”

We booked it!  Hoping it’s a good room. We do like deck 5!

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Cyber Kat said:

Interesting - because we just booked this cabin for a Caribbean cruise next spring.  We have been booking PV1s but we were looking for something cheaper and close to home for that spring cruise.  I’d been looking at other lines (shhh don’t tell) because Viking usually leaves the Caribbean by the end of March. We did the West Indies Explorer a couple of years ago at the end of March and we had some stress about a late season blizzard back home.  My husband said he was never cruising in snow season again 😝

I wasn’t finding anything interesting, so I expanded my search to March thinking maybe I’ll find something at the very end into April.  I found an Iconic Southern on Viking Sky. I mentioned it, but the price for our customary PV was more than we wanted to spend.

The very next morning I get an email from Viking with a special offer for guests booked on another cruise.  (They really are psychic!) I looked again at the price.  The PV was still too high, but the DV was doable.  I mentioned it again.  My husband said, “On Viking?”  My answer was, “Yes, but it’s March 9, and you didn’t want to cruise in March.”

He said, “but it’s Viking!”  I said, “yes, but we have to do have to do a DV with no couch, no liquor in the mini bar, and the closet by the bed.”  He said, “but it’s Viking!”  

LOL I found 5110 was available and we love the aft or aft wraps, and that was the clincher for me.  My husband simply said, “but it’s Viking!”

I understand what you mean about the weather in East Jibib! It can be really terrible that time of year! Have a great time!

• Haha 1

On 2/15/2020 at 6:22 AM, Cyber Kat said:

Love the commentary!  Great story and thanks for sharing.

We also have done the Caribbean on Viking Sea and have pondered doing another Caribbean cruise where the focus would be to just relax and not be worried about seeing all the ports.

You mentioned special email offers from Viking for being already booked on another cruise.  Interesting.  We've had cruises on Viking booked into the future, and have NEVER had any email offers of any kind from Viking.  Wondering if they total up all the cruises or revenue you have had with Viking and you have to hit some sort of bar to qualify for special offers.

4 hours ago, CCWineLover said:

We also have done the Caribbean on Viking Sea and have pondered doing another Caribbean cruise where the focus would be to just relax and not be worried about seeing all the ports.

You mentioned special email offers from Viking for being already booked on another cruise.  Interesting.  We've had cruises on Viking booked into the future, and have NEVER had any email offers of any kind from Viking.  Wondering if they total up all the cruises or revenue you have had with Viking and you have to hit some sort of bar to qualify for special offers.

I have gotten both email offers and mail offers.  I just got a mail one for 2021-2022 cruises, that expires at the end of this month.  This over came with a catalog for both ocean and river cruises, and it would be very easy to overlook the slip of paper it was on.

The last Reservation I made (from an email offer with code), the Viking agent mentioned a cabin upgrade and OBC, not included in any  email or mailing.  So we were able to pile offers.  Stumbling onto this was strictly lucky on my part.

Right now, I have reservations booked for 2 ocean, one river cruise up through 2021.  

• Like 1

11 hours ago, CCWineLover said:

We had both a river cruise and an ocean cruise booked when we got the offer.  It was the first we’ve gotten with good incentives!