Ocean/River Combo

MartiniBarhooked

Just a heads up if you try and book one of the Ocean/River combo trips. For a week now we have been trying to book the RHINE & VIKING SHORES & FJORDS (Bergen-Basel). They gave me a quote for the combo but I found that if I booked the cruises separate there was a $500 per person savings. For days now Viking has said the pricing is suppose to be the same and they would adjust my quote. But they are now to my agents supervisor's supervisor and cant figure out how to do it. They keep extending the hold. I am losing interest in even booking this trip now.

That must be very frustrating. The combo of ocean and river sounds very good! I’m not sure-is this a relatively new option? Do you have a travel agent who can negotiate for you? 
Talking with the person with the highest authority could be helpful and sometimes a travel agent has more leverage than the rest of us.

Good luck- I hope it all works out for you!

2 hours ago, MartiniBarhooked said:

No fight just making folks aware they can save money by book separate cruises.

I was reacting to your “losing interest in even booking” comment. Hope you don’t let dumb Viking procedures like this keep you from having a great cruise. 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, just_dont said:

I'd imagine getting flights through Viking Air might be problematic with separate cruises. It's not exactly like B2B cruises since one is Ocean and one is River.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

I don't think that should matter.  You can just book a flight and pay their deviation fee.  We did MO cruise and flew to Barcelona.At the end of the cruise in Venice, we then spent a week in Switzerland and flew home from Zurich.  I think you can do that as late as 30 days after the cruise ends.  

• Like 1

I don't think that should matter.  You can just book a flight and pay their deviation fee.  We did MO cruise and flew to Barcelona.At the end of the cruise in Venice, we then spent a week in Switzerland and flew home from Zurich.  I think you can do that as late as 30 days after the cruise ends.  
We haven't yet used Viking Air. Does that make it Custom Air, or Air Plus, or just a deviation fee?
Personally, I think I'd rather customize the front end to be sure to get there a day early.

10 minutes ago, just_dont said:

We haven't yet used Viking Air. Does that make it Custom Air, or Air Plus, or just a deviation fee?
Personally, I think I'd rather customize the front end to be sure to get there a day early.

Custom Air and Air Plus are terms for the same fee, the fee for having a say in your flights. Add to that a deviation fee which allows you to arrive early and/or stay late.

On 2/20/2020 at 9:32 PM, just_dont said:

I'd imagine getting flights through Viking Air might be problematic with separate cruises. It's not exactly like B2B cruises since one is Ocean and one is River.

Actually not, we created our own B2B river cruises, combining the Elbe and the Cities of Lights, we are just staying an extra night in Prague to be able to do the Cities of Lights cruise, it is actually one booking, we got discounts for each river cruise and an extra savings since we eliminated the additional flight.  We paid for Viking Air Plus.  Getting a $200 pp discount for each river cruise as a repeat Viking customer was an added bonus.