Royal pain in the App

Let me start by saying we reached Diamond this year and have had nothing but positive experience on the varying ships and categories in Royal's fleet we have sailed.

We live in NY and were early passengers of both the Quantum and Anthem, and had the pleasure of sailing them when their dining options still matched the names on the numerous venues that now all serve "Main Dining" fare.  Back then, I spent about 10-15 hours/cruise on the phone trying to book dining venues.   I maintain my stance that the new dining model, which brilliantly offered a broad variety of dining choices and GREAT FOOD in each of them, failed not because of kitchen constraints, seating availability or wait staff, but because the technology built to support restaurant-style dining was completely sub-standard (Open Table, anyone?).

Our last few sailings have been on the Jewel, so no need for Royal App until now, with our Anthem sailing upcoming on 3/1.  I downloaded the Royal app onto my Android phone (it was initially only available for the iPhone 'cause who heard of Google, right?) and was pleased to see check-in and boarding passes can now indeed be done on my mobile which is good.

So like many other instances where I have gone "paperless", I was ready to embrace the app until I looked a little closer:

• We are in a suite, yet Coastal Kitchen reservations still cannot be pre-reserved, neither through the App nor on the Computer.  I had, in fact, completely forgotten about the Coastal because it was never presented as an option in the web app, until I came across Coastal's description in the Micro App and realized there was no way to reserve it.  It doesn't make a whole lot of sense to me to make your highest-revenue clients line up, and take up the time of the Concierge or the Coastal Dining Manger to make all those reservations once on board.  As a result, I have made dining reservations nightly in My [waste of] Time, and will need to spend time changing this all up once onboard, instead of making my way to the Future Cruise Desk to avoid the lines later in the sailing.  Net-net, the lack of a technical solution to a simple need, and moreover, a paid-for perk, is costing time better spent onboard and therefore likely costing Royal Revenue
  • In the same theme, my Medi-Spa appointments do not show in the App, and there is no way to manually add them (or add anything else to the calendar for that matter).  Shore excursions and dining do show, however the Spa appt doesn't.  Not smart.  Again, a big revenue stream for Royal, and I wonder how many people miss Spa appointment because of the lack of integration between them and the Lotus Spa (a sub-vendor if I understand their model correctly).

I called Royal last evening for help to make sure I wasn't missing anything, and got 3 different answers:  "You can book Coastal online, you can book Costal in the app" and finally, "You can't book Coastal until you are onboard." followed by  "You can see the Spa, in the App" and "Oh, well I guess you can't!"

I have experienced numerous times where I was given conflicting information from Customer Service regarding other aspects ofinformtion  sailing the Anthem  and Royal in general, largely due to how different the various classes of vessel are, and what stage of refurbishment each is in:  "You [are / are not] entitled to Diamond Lounge access based on your Diamond [and/or room category]  status".  Ditto the Concierge Club (I was once told Jr. Suites had access, which I knew was wrong).   "You are / are not entitled to access to Coco Cays' Beach Club" (the correct answer for Suite Guests is that club access is complimentary only Labadie Haiti, btw.).  "There are two formal nights / you have to dine in the Grand if you want formal."  How the heck does one prepare for a vacation with all this misinformation???  

Yes, there is a TON of information on these boards, and I would suggest in most cases the most current, concise and accurate information is on CC.  Question is:  Why isn't this clearly detailed on Royal's Anthem pages, and their Customer Service knowledgebase for that matter, so their customer service teams are empowered to give consistent, correct answers?  It only frustrate customers and hurts sales.  I almost got on the ship thinking I was entitled to use of the Club at Coco Cay!  Imagine how many others might make the same mistake?  

I left a message requesting a call back and follow-up from customer service and received nothing to date.   I get that everyone is likely busy dealing with corona, which is clearly the priority, however this is not my first "ask" for someone to direct feedback on a simple problem to.  Can't count on the App so I will be bringing paper, and queueing up with the Concierge to re-reserve dinner and re-confirm Spa appts.  In other words, a Royal Pain in the App that is marring an otherwise great vacation with Royal.

Edited by rich_cathybrock
spelling/grammar
  • Like 1

Enough people seem to enjoy the product, once they are onboard, that they seem reluctant to fix their tech glitches and problems.    I guess if enough people were to complain, or stop sailing with them, they would invest in someone who knows how to make this "newfangled" app stuff work!

5 hours ago, rich_cathybrock said:

Bad news - don't know if this is related, but now all 7 nights of My Time Dining on the web app now says "at your leisure" where my RESERVED DINING TIMES booked last December once were!  (After and Before screen shots below, in that order). 

I think I read a recent post that also had this problem and someone suggested checking in the order history in the cruise planner. When the affected poster did that s/he found that their reserved times were still all there, so it might be worth taking a look before you call. Fingers crossed for you.

3 hours ago, PhoenixCruiser said:

I didn't think Royal had Sky Suites, isn't that Celebrity?

You might want to remove your personal information ASAP

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

I don't think there's any personal information there that people couldn't work out from their username anyway.

5 hours ago, PhoenixCruiser said:

I didn't think Royal had Sky Suites, isn't that Celebrity?

You might want to remove your personal information ASAP

Appreciate the concern but the only info in screen shot is our full names which are on our profile.   And I meant to say Sky Loft Suite (dropped the "Loft" bit in my earlier post, and can only assume Royal "dropped info syndrome"  may be contagious.) 😄

Thanks to you  @FionaMG! My reservations are indeed in the order history.  I have since gotten the welcome email from the Concierge and asked him to reconfirm the ones we are keeping and to put us in Coastal Kitchen for a few nights to change things up.  Not going to call - just another opportunity for them to mess this up.  Better to leave in the hands of onboard personnel who can handle from here.

Thanks again!

• Like 1