Packing help for PG please!!

Trvlbugs

Hi, I was just wondering what to pack for my upcoming voyage....

Can I pretty much just live all day at sea with a bathing suit cover up on? Do I need anything real dressy?

Do I need anything warm?

I really want to try and limit what I pack this time around.

It seems we are always over doing it.

thanks so much!:D

Aloha shirt and Khakis are as dressed as men need get; though some do wear jackets on special evenings. I didn't even bring one (ut I have been called a "cultural wasteland" at times in the past). My wife brought a light weight, long, "breezy" looking dress with a light weight jacket to dress it up (plus she gets cold in AC so it was functional as wellas decorative). No shorts in the dining rooms for dinner and no swim suits (as I recall) anytime. Hopefully some lady can chime in here with a more useful description for evening attire.

Greg

Thanks for your replies. My husband told me he doesnt want to wear a jacket at all....this is vacation. He plans on khakis and polo type shirts for dinner. I hope this will be okay.

I would love to hear from a woman with some packing advice since we are the ones who tend to overpack!! LOL

Thanks

Husband wore khaki, polo and light weight short sleeves shirt(seersucker & Linen). He didn't wear a jacket. A matter of fact, he didn't even bring his wind/rain jacket!

I brought ~4 Sundresses (goes with nice strapy sandles). 1 pair of light nice black pants and ~5 dressy tops (sparkle tank, silk shirt etc). No jacket either. 4 pairs of shoes total (Tevas, strapy sandles, hiking shoes, silver heels)

During the day... cropped pants, shorts and anything that cover the swimsuit will do. Very casual.... My husband said why can't all the cruise be like this!

I won't get into clothes, as I am an overpacker, liking to have my "stuff" aboard.

My one bit of advice (in addition to Richard's above) is to bring bug repellent! And with the highest DEET possible. If you carry it with you and only need it once, it is worth its weight in gold! Bring an extra can and you will endear yourself to fellow pax! Some people go and never encounter a mosquito. I was there in June, and REALLY needed it 4-5 times times, on every motu day (in the Ta'ha place, position yourself near a shore where the breezes are coming AT you from the water to mitigate the bug annoyance), and pre-cruise in Moorea when we got an off-road tour that included a hike to a waterfall. Also in Raiatea when we did the canoe/volcano thing. Those on my excursions would have paid well for my bug repelling services had I not been generous in sharing!

Really the only bummer about Motu Mahana is the fact that the b-52's cruise out to sea and make mince meat out of the unprotected after one o'clock. JHP is right on about the DEET. Anyway..about clothing & packing..

Clothing on the PG can best be described as casual tropical stuff like Tori Richard and Tommy Bahama. The good news is that no one seems to stick their nose up about what others may wear because there are no formal nights and dress codes. My husband only wears a sportcoat one night for the Captain's welcome reception. Other than that, it's slacks and a shirt. I like a small wrap during the evenings only because it does get chilly if you are seated near the air conditioning outlets.

Sometimes, however, people tend to get a little hyper about the origin of meat and foul in the dining room and tend to brow beat the wait staff. Normally that's only because they were charged a few bucks for a cocktail (white tail or black tail) or whatever; and seem to be concerned whether thier "tail" was fresh of frozen. If you don't bring a shawl or sweater, your's may be frozen! Just ignore that pompous behavior if you can. Most do. Some don't. Some that disagree may even get "deep sixed" off the ship. Not to worry, just wrap yourself up in Tahitian fabric and enjoy the wonder of French Polynesia and let others go around with a clip board to see if they're happy with the number of stars rated for your cruise.

Sorry, got a little off topic, however, it's fun to pick up some local Tahitian garb and pack light. Flower lies and hairpieces are abundant at the ports and can add lot's of pizaaz to your outfits. My husband bought me a dozen gardenias on our last cruise from a roadside flower stand in Moorea. They really added a special touch to our cabin and to my dinner & lunch attire.

Hope you have a great time on the PG.

T&E, welcome back!! I am ROTFL at your latest post. Oh my, I wish they would let me post my e-mail as I tried before to do to contact you, but we all got delteted. You lend a side to this board that makes it what it used to be! I hope you will continue to post, even if I cannot communicate with you other than here! That part about the deer, most will not know what we are talking about, but you are so clever! Please keep on posting!

You guys are a riot!!! Im glad I chose radisson, seems like a fun group.

How was the hike to the waterfall? That sounds like something I would love. Can I wear Tevas most of the time or do I need actual hiking shoes?

Thanks

Trvlbug, as you've seen from these friendly posts, a little more than a swimsuit coverup is the right thing on the ship. They are certainly worn in the Grill at lunch, however. Don't forget a t-shirt especially for snorkelling--I washed mine in Rit Sunguard, which adds a water-proof SPF protection to your clothing. Several hats are also good, I usually have a big floppy one, and a baseball cap for places like open boats where the other will blow off.

As for active excursions, remember the climate's hot and humid, especially away from the water. There was a review somewhere, last year, by someone who did he waterfall hike--it was a harrowing adventure, as I recall.

I lived in bathing suits (but the majority of my excursions were water related). Definitely bring the Tevas and maybe a second pair of water shoes. I was glad I brought two pairs so one was always dry. I brought five bathing suit tops and three bottoms and just rotated them. My bathing suits look like shorts and a halter-type top so I didn't need a cover up.

Very casual in the evenings. Even on New Year's Eve and the Captain's night it was still much more casual than the usual ship. Not jeans and shorts casual but resort wear casual.

A hat for sure. That sun is strong. I didn't have a problem with bugs but we were there Dec/Jan. I had packed the Off towelettes and they were great b/c I could bring a couple of sheets with me everywhere and they took up no space. Only used them once though. Found them at Bed and Bath.

Underwater camera if you're going the waverunners or the underwater helmet walk. Extension cord too. Okay, not clothes but these were things I was very glad I packed.

If you can find a shirt with UV protection, it's a thing of beauty. I brought one and lived in it in the water. Soooo great for someone with fair skin.

I was chilly in the dining room and always brought a light sweater after the first night. That was the only place I was ever chilly.

I packed less than I normally do and still overpacked. Not by a lot but some shorts and t-shirts came home never worn b/c I was always in a bathing suit!

You guys are a riot!!! Im glad I chose radisson, seems like a fun group.Thanks

Agreed! I'm cracking up from all the posts!

And jhp, thank you. You bet I'll report back. In the meantime I am eager to hear reports back from those sailing on the PG after dry dock. Surely we won't have to wait until after travlbugs' cruise!

trvlbugs, you asked about my waterfall hike. I have had two, but not both in FP.

First one was in Moorea, and it was pre-cruise, a 4x vehicle that I had arranged through our hotel (Rad package) at the Moorea Beachcomber. This particular excursion company is not affiliated with the ship's tours. I remember this because, on the day that I did it, I saw the RSSC tour at their "belvedere", and ours was much higher, and along a very steep and bumpy road to a spot that was the highest on the island. You could see both of the bays where you will anchor. We went to a pineapple farm, and then on to the waterfall. On arrival, our guide told us that the waterfall was only a dribble, it was the dry season. Many chose to hike it anyway, including my daughter and son. I remember sitting smugly on a rock watching them disappear from view, slipping and sliding on the rocks. Since I was not a moving target, that's when the b-52's, as T&E described them, attacked me with a vengeance. This tour was booked through a company called inter-island safaris. Wish I had the website.

I think that harrowing waterfall hike Wendy remembers was reported by me on another thread/board when I was in Asia on Silversea. Somehow, I got separated from my daughter, who was climbing the steeeeep road on the way to the waterfall, and I moved over to the side to where there were steps and a path. Somehow the paths diverged, (I didn't notice, but remember that Frost poem? I took the one less traveled) and I found myself quite alone when all of a sudden I heard the sounds of monkeys screaming, and then they were swinging in branches above me, some landing right in front of me. Never ever take food with you if there are monkeys in your path. They will win every time, because you will empty your backpack and run in fear.

Sometimes, however, people tend to get a little hyper about the origin of meat and foul in the dining room and tend to brow beat the wait staff. Normally that's only because they were charged a few bucks for a cocktail (white tail or black tail) or whatever; and seem to be concerned whether thier "tail" was fresh of frozen. If you don't bring a shawl or sweater, your's may be frozen! Just ignore that pompous behavior if you can. Most do. Some don't. Some that disagree may even get "deep sixed" off the ship. Not to worry, just wrap yourself up in Tahitian fabric and enjoy the wonder of French Polynesia and let others go around with a clip board to see if they're happy with the number of stars rated for your cruise.

I just saw this post today -- I guess I wasn't all that interested in what people are packing on the PG, since I switched my FP cruise to the Mariner, and we DO have to wear all that formal attire. In any case, THANK YOU THANK YOU for this hilarity! You made my day! I'm literally falling down laughing. I'm so glad that we don't take ourselves too seriously around here. Life's too short to be serious all the time! ;)

T&E, I do hope I run into you on a cruise someday! Methinks we'd have a gas. :D

LeeAnne

flyer, I have a report from an acquaintance (she's not a TA, just like one of us) from another board who is on-board the PG now. Wish I could c/p it here, but maybe not such a good idea. She reports that all carpeting is new, red and pretty. New matresses, firm but comfy. They added some cabins by getting rid of the cigar bar. Wine glasses that used to be used only by those ordering special bottles are now the norm. There are some shady places now because of canopies added of each side of the stair to the pool. (Personal opinion: This is a REALLY good move). Other than that, she reported that Marc Conroy, Pres. of RSSC announced that they plan to add another ship to the fleet, 700pax, and std cabins of 500 s.ft. (Personal opinion: Wouldn't count on this, that is BIG) The name change to Regent is set in motion, and fuel costs have tripled for the company, ergo the surcharge for fuel on future cruises.

WE have cruised the 7 day Paul Gauguin and are now booked for a 14 day PG 9/06. Believe me.........do not pack too much. You will live in your favories. Bathing suit, coverups are great for daytime. Goucho's , Capris' evening. Sundress perfect. Always a wrap........it is chilly in dining room and evenings.Someone mentioned the UV protection T Shirts .........good idea. Su screen and bug spray pack a must. Everything about this ship and cruise experience is magical. RELAX........enjoy and savor every moment on board and in FP. I always pack too much...........I am determined this time to limit every whim and only bring the bare essentials because that is all I ever wore on our past cruise. One other thing buy bathing suits that dry quickly not those heavy fancy types that maybe look nice but never dry. How can you go to the South Pacific and not let your body experience these beautiful waters.:>)! Casual all the way but what you would wear to church, summer dinner in a nice restaurant...........aka county club etc. Men NO TIES.......sport jacket .......my husband only wore once for Captains dinner. I am not sure if he will bring his jacket this upcomming cruise. I

If you have a balcony stateroom ........it is a must to.........order breakfast served on your balcony.....at least once...so wonderful!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Thanks for the info on the post-dry-dock PG. All good news, especially regarding the shade. jhp is the report in a public forum where I can read it? If not, and you have the time and feel comfortable doing so, you can e-mail it to: susan@susangrant.com

And Tika, b-fast on the balcony sounds wonderful--could go for that right now...

Archived