Port Change and Insurance (for new port)

Essentially say we've purchased insurance for New Caledonia and then the ship changes itinery the day before and switches to Vanuatu. How does this work with insurance, does the insurance cover for switched ports?

Nm, found this:

https://www.1cover.com.au/faqs/general/list-destinations/

Edited by nickfritz

9 hours ago, Pushka said:

Celebrity’s port change from Singapore to Dubai blew me a little. Now with Italy being implicated esp Venice I’m screwed if they change my embarkation point of Rome to Ft Lauderdale or something. 😯

Changing ports during an Itinerary is a usual occurrence due to various reasons like natural disasters or weather and the line is covered in the cruise contract for this. Changing embarkation ports or debarkation ports is not usually covered though.

43 minutes ago, MicCanberra said:

Changing ports during an Itinerary is a usual occurrence due to various reasons like natural disasters or weather and the line is covered in the cruise contract for this. Changing embarkation ports or debarkation ports is not usually covered though.

Yes, port changes have happened and will happen to us. And so many of the fandoms were using that contract to tell disgruntled passengers that changing from Singapore to Dubai was no worse than that. They probably don’t even know where Dubai is. Or Singapore. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Pushka said:

Yes, port changes have happened and will happen to us. And so many of the fandoms were using that contract to tell disgruntled passengers that changing from Singapore to Dubai was no worse than that. They probably don’t even know where Dubai is. Or Singapore. 

It is a huge difference in this case

4 hours ago, Pushka said:

It's funny how much some want to be cheerleaders. Everything is justified by them if it's in the contract.

I don't think people buy holidays just for the chance to agree to a contract.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Pushka said:

Aren't they just places you change planes? :-), But seriously that's 6 extra hours going direct from Sydney. Not a joke. And as to boarding in Rome, it's only 3 hours by fast train from Milan...

16 minutes ago, cme2c said:

Aren't they just places you change planes? :-), But seriously that's 6 extra hours going direct from Sydney. Not a joke. And as to boarding in Rome, it's only 3 hours by fast train from Milan...

Agree and no footprint of that travel. It’s just a train ticket that can be purchased with cash. It’s a CYA nothing more. 

Don't know about Australian policies, but the ones we've used in the U.S. from U.S. companies rarely cover changes to itineraries, although things get fuzzy when you're talking about a change to your embarkation/disembarkation port.

For excursions in between those two port, I'd suggest being very careful to pay up front.  I booked an excursion with the rural post man in Akaroa.   The ticket was totally non-refundable if the ship didn't make port or if I didn't make it ashore to the meeting spot in time.  I was a little nervous, because we skipped a LOT of ports in Australia and NZ on our 2 cruises, but we ended up being fine. But I always keep in mind that we could miss a port, and not book anything that's not refundable unless I'm willing to lose the money.  As someone said, cruise lines can and do change ports.  I DID lose money on this trip,  but given how messed up the 2 cruises became, I decided to just put it behind me and be grateful I didn't lose more than I did (like my health, my life, my spouse, my mind.....)

• Like 1

So the inevitable has happened, the 11 March has changed it itinerary and removed a port completely.

It had 3 ports and now we've got an email saying there is only 2 ports.

Mystery Island and Noumea.

It was meant to be Mare, Isle of Pines and Noumea.

1 hour ago, nickfritz said:

So the inevitable has happened, the 11 March has changed it itinerary and removed a port completely.

That is a shame but not unexpected.

21 hours ago, nickfritz said:

Oh well I just got back from the Islands

Was meant to be:  Isle of Pines, Lifou, Mare, Mystery Island and Noumea.  Got on board (no emails) and itinerary had been changed to Mystery Island, Port Vila, Santo and Noumea with $50  credit for missing a port.

But then along came Cyclone Ueizi ?? and so we had to go so far east to avoid it that Mystery Island became impossible to reach in time.  Bit rough , couldn't keep up the speed needed.

Itinerary then became Santo, overnight in Port Vila and Noumea.  Happy with Santo because ships from Melbourne seldom get there but Port Vila is not my favourite with its 200 cab drivers blocking the gates.

Such is life.  Only 1 of the original ports.  Mystery Island is still a mystery.  Still enjoyed it even with the sauna conditions near the cyclone.

On 2/29/2020 at 12:12 PM, Ondine said:

Mystery Island is still a mystery.

Took us 3 cruises to finally make it to Mystery Island, other times port stop cancelled due to weather, so Mystery Island for us is no longer a Mystery!  We had insurance that covered missed port and they paid out on that.

It is strange how some people cannot get to it, it is the same with other ports like St John New Foundland, Canada, Easter Island and the like, so many people have said that the ship rarely  gets to them (with favourable weather for docking or tendering). BTW, we have never missed it Mystery Island as ye but have missed St John..