Thoughts on Oasis

This is our last day on Oasis.  We have done Allure, Harmony, and symphony, in this class.

love: great staff, great shows, great food, great excursions.

don’t love: MDR is so time consuming. too much waiting.  Technical difficulties in shows.  Computer problems at stores. only one ice show.  No Central Park tour.

On 2/29/2020 at 4:25 PM, vacationlover_mn said:

This is our last day on Oasis.  We have done Allure, Harmony, and symphony, in this class.

don’t love: MDR is so time consuming. too much waiting.  Technical difficulties in shows.  Computer problems at stores. only one ice show.  No Central Park tour.

Which excursions did you do? We had a heckuva time with our Dolphin Cove excursion in Jamaica (though my kids loved it), and all the Cozumel water-based ones were canceled, inc. the snorkeling trip to the national marine park we had booked.  We had booked both through RC, but honestly, my husband and son had a better time when they hired their own taxi/guide in Cozumel and toured ruins after our snorkel trip was cancelled. They even found out that you COULD snorkel on the other side of the island despite the red flag warning, so they rented equipment and did it. I understand the conditions that day led to cancellations, and we were aware that could happen. What pissed me off (sorry to be blunt!) was that we had gotten up early, gotten ourselves and the kids ready, got through Customs to the designated meeting spot, only then to find out about the cancellation.  Again, not RC/Oasis' fault, as I learned later they had not been appropriately warned by the authorities. Where they failed, IMHO, was not having Oasis reps on the ground at the pier to answer questions, to direct people, to help out in this situation. Freedom OTS had two reps sitting at a table in the pier bar to help their customers.  I got misdirected there by one of the port staff. Then I had to hunt around, with a crying 9 year old in tow, asking several port staffers where I could find an Oasis rep before I finally found one who was able to point me towards "the short woman," who you literally couldn't see b/c she was surrounded by a throng of other passengers whose trips had been cancelled (Daisy from the Excursion Desk). She was obviously overwhelmed and had hand cramps from writing on all the cancelled tickets.  Oasis needs to put more staff on the ground to help their passengers who book through them, until they're sure everyone is on the merry way, and to help those who aren't.  As much as we all loved the ship itself, and many aspects of it, this experience made me think the next time my family wants to do a "big" vacation we'd be better off at a resort in Cozumel, where we're not subject to the whims of the weather and to absentee staff.

On 2/29/2020 at 4:25 PM, vacationlover_mn said:

Dining in the MDR does not have to take hours. You can ask your wait staff to expedite your meal and you'll be out of there in no time. My daughter has 3 courses in 45 minutes before she goes to Adventure Ocean. 

There have been times where I've been in and out of the MDR in an hour in order to get to a show.

All you need to do is tell your wait staff.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, constable145 said:

Once I made the mistake on a cruise with my granddaughter when they asked us if we had a show to catch, I said no and it took forever.  Now I will say yes when I am with my granddaughter, she was getting quite restless after and hour and a half.

Dining in the MDR does not have to take hours. You can ask your wait staff to expedite your meal and you'll be out of there in no time. My daughter has 3 courses in 45 minutes before she goes to Adventure Ocean. 

There have been times where I've been in and out of the MDR in an hour in order to get to a show.

On 3/4/2020 at 1:23 PM, Nola93 said:

Which excursions did you do? We had a heckuva time with our Dolphin Cove excursion in Jamaica (though my kids loved it), and all the Cozumel water-based ones were canceled, 

We were lucky-  neither of our 2 ship excursions were cancelled.  Though, our friends had most of theirs cancelled 😞. In Cozumel, we did Nachi Cocum on our own- loved it!  In Labadee, we had a daybed... it was windy but great 🙂. I can’t remember the name of the beach club we had in Jamaica... maybe bamboo beach club?  It had a great view, but we wouldn’t do it again- loud music playing, poor drink selection, meh food.

13 hours ago, constable145 said:

Actually, we did tell the staff, and it still took a very, very long time.  We’ve cruised RCI 10 times now, and this was the longest ever- we suspect kitchen issues.