Myanmar bars Silver Spirit

lesliedrew

I had to look up Yangon - its the former Rangoon.  So what was Rangoon, Burma is Yangon, Myanmar.  I realize possibly everyone here knows this except me, but the board has been kind of quiet lately... 🙂  Will next be researching whether crab Rangoon has also been renamed.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Is anyone aware if Silver Sea offered a cancellation or FCC for this cruise? Clearly passengers are not getting the cruise they signed up for. Any posters currently aboard care to weigh in about your experience? 

On 3/3/2020 at 1:09 AM, QueSeraSera said:

I had to look up Yangon - its the former Rangoon.  So what was Rangoon, Burma is Yangon, Myanmar.  I realize possibly everyone here knows this except me, but the board has been kind of quiet lately... 🙂  Will next be researching whether crab Rangoon has also been renamed.

I will try and break this to you gently . . . New Stuyvesant is now called New York.  You heard it here first. 😉

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I, too, am supposed to be boarding the Spirit in Mumbai. Hope Silversea will let us know in advance if there is a port change. I do not know how much notice is given by the port authorities if a ship is barred from docking.

41 minutes ago, wren2 said:

I, too, am supposed to be boarding the Spirit in Mumbai. Hope Silversea will let us know in advance if there is a port change. I do not know how much notice is given by the port authorities if a ship is barred from docking.

Today it was less than 24 hours for the Cook Islands.

12 hours ago, Fletcher said:

I will try and break this to you gently . . . New Stuyvesant is now called New York.  You heard it here first. 😉

Though the majority of ethnic Burmese prefer you use the name Burma as Myanmar is the Generals name for the country.

As to India they are tightening up on travel to India-

"On 03 March, India announced the suspension of all visas issued to nationals of Italy, Iran, South Korea and Japan who have not yet entered the country. Visas issued to foreign nationals who travelled to China, Iran, Italy, South Korea and Japan who have not yet entered the country have also been cancelled. "

https://www.pharmaceutical-technology.com/features/coronavirus-affected-countries-india-measures-impact-pharma-economy/

They are considering bans on people traveling from those countries.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 3 weeks later...

We were on this cruise and I will be posting some thoughts soon, once I get straight, having only been back home for a few days.

Ultimately, the goodwill offer was increased to a 75% refund and 25% FCC, which I personally feel was very fair in the circumstances.

What I will say for now is that Silversea and all on the ship were superb in really difficult circumstances.

• Like 2