NCL Platinum Trip Insurance

mjcatlvr

Hi there!

Has anyone used the NCL Platinum Trip Insurance? We are considering taking a last minute Caribbean cruise and in light of the current health scare are thinking of investing in this. I have read the policy and not sure if all that is promised is true. Is the Platinum Level even necessary when traveling only to The Caribbean? Maybe the higher levels of coverage are meant for overseas travel where it would cost a considerable amount more to be treated and returned to the US from there?

I looked at it for an upcoming trip but went the independent route. My observation was.....terribly expensive for what you got, inferior med evac at $50k, I believe, CFAR at 90% which is good, but pays out in a cruise credit (not so good) and it wasn't clear if airfare etc was covered in the CFAR.

The current virus scare is like a commercial for NCL's insurance.  Yes its more expensive than most travel insurance but there is a good reason for that.  Most travel insurance wont cover any pandemic issues.  However, if your fear of traveling during a pandemic makes you want to postpone your cruise, NCL's platinum insurance will let you cancel your cruise with 90% credit for a future cruise. I have a feeling they are going to be selling many of these policies lately.

3 hours ago, mjcatlvr said:

Hi there!

Has anyone used the NCL Platinum Trip Insurance? We are considering taking a last minute Caribbean cruise and in light of the current health scare are thinking of investing in this. I have read the policy and not sure if all that is promised is true. Is the Platinum Level even necessary when traveling only to The Caribbean? Maybe the higher levels of coverage are meant for overseas travel where it would cost a considerable amount more to be treated and returned to the US from there?

The major difference is the future cruise credit of 90%. It is a regular insurance policy without CFAR.

If you cancel for a non-covered reason, the insurance will not pay you anything. 

However, NCL (not the insurance company) will give you a credit for 90% of your cruise fare (everything else is refunded 100%). 

The regular policy only refunds 75% of the cruise fare. 

The insurance is quite pricey but I do take it.  Case in point we cancelled our March 1 cruise three days prior due to a medical reason concerning my daughter.  Although I have not heard back yet from the insurance I know that I will receive back the full amount or at the very least 90%.  We were booked in the Haven therefore several thousands of dollars would have been lost without insurance.  For me taking the insurance makes sense.