Find it Here: Santorini, Firá, and Oia Q & A

TheBandit

Has anyone done an excursion in Santorini on a "yacht".  We booked one, but there isn't a description  of the boat.   Can anyone tell me what the boat is like.  I am mostly interested in how you get on and off the boat for swimming. Thank you 

• 1 month later...

Hi all,

My none year old and I are going to go on our first ever cruise this October, it will be Royal Caribbean 9 nights Greek cruise: https://www.royalcaribbean.com/cruises/itinerary/9-night-greek-isles-from-rome-civitavecchia-on-odyssey/OY09ROM-3670741210?sail-date=2024-10-01&currency=USD&country=USA&search=startDate:2024-10-01~2024-10-31#step=0

We will arrive at Santorini and I would like to tour the city with my kid, was looking at the tours offered by the cruise and wasn't sure if we should just purchase that or will have an option to visit the city on our own. Have been reading so many threads and posts to get myself familiar but was hoping if someone please reply to this thread and provide some recommendations. Thank you in advance

1 hour ago, Tina80 said:

Hi all,

My none year old and I are going to go on our first ever cruise this October, it will be Royal Caribbean 9 nights Greek cruise: https://www.royalcaribbean.com/cruises/itinerary/9-night-greek-isles-from-rome-civitavecchia-on-odyssey/OY09ROM-3670741210?sail-date=2024-10-01&currency=USD&country=USA&search=startDate:2024-10-01~2024-10-31#step=0

We will arrive at Santorini and I would like to tour the city with my kid, was looking at the tours offered by the cruise and wasn't sure if we should just purchase that or will have an option to visit the city on our own. Have been reading so many threads and posts to get myself familiar but was hoping if someone please reply to this thread and provide some recommendations. Thank you in advance

@Tina80 

Santorini is the island. Fira is the hilltop town. 

3 ways to get up to Fira: walking, riding a donkey, or taking the cable car.

Once you get up to Fira, you will discover narrow, winding streets, with lots of steps and hills. Views are breathtaking.

You have probably read the possible long queues for the cable car...and the difficulty of walking up. Everything will be up to your 9-yr. old. Happy sailing. :classic_smile:

@FionaMG wrote a wonderful review of the Odyssey of the Seas, with a stop in Santorini.

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, bonsai3s said:

@Tina80 

Santorini is the island. Fira is the hilltop town. 

3 ways to get up to Fira: walking, riding a donkey, or taking the cable car.

Once you get up to Fira, you will discover narrow, winding streets, with lots of steps and hills. Views are breathtaking.

You have probably read the possible long queues for the cable car...and the difficulty of walking up. Everything will be up to your 9-yr. old. Happy sailing. :classic_smile:

@FionaMG wrote a wonderful review of the Odyssey of the Seas, with a stop in Santorini.

Thanks much for your helpful reply. What if we would like to only visit Oia? Is it easy to get to from the port and explore?

1 hour ago, Tina80 said:

Thanks much for your helpful reply. What if we would like to only visit Oia? Is it easy to get to from the port and explore?

4 ways (that I know of), to get to Oia:

1. Private tour.

2. Ship's tour.

3. Boat from dock, to dock below Oia, bus up to Oia, then bus back to Fira, then down (the3ways) to the dock.

4. Local bus. Briefly, this is what we did. We managed to get on the first tender...short queue to the cable car. Up in Fira, it was about a 10-minute walk to the bus station (an open square/plaza)...cost was 1.60€ per person each way, payable in cash to the conductor...it was about a 30-minute bus ride to Oia with 5 local stops. Once in Oia, it's a short walk to the iconic blue domes (again, narrow streets, hills, and incredibly fun looking for the right photo spot).

1 hour ago, FionaMG said:

Thanks for tagging me @bonsai3s. I hope you're doing well. ☺️

@Tina80 here is the link to my review:

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/topic/2850791-odyssey-to-the-greek-isles-7-to-16-may-2022/

@FionaMG

Hi Fiona!

We are doing well. Currently at home and trying to lose weight before our next adventure. Wonder (Sep/Carribean), Quantum(Sep/TP), Anthem( Nov/Dubai). Hope you guys are doing well and perhaps we will cross paths again...safe travels.

2 hours ago, bonsai3s said:

@FionaMG

Hi Fiona!

We are doing well. Currently at home and trying to lose weight before our next adventure. Wonder (Sep/Carribean), Quantum(Sep/TP), Anthem( Nov/Dubai). Hope you guys are doing well and perhaps we will cross paths again...safe travels.

Sounds amazing! Hope you have a fantastic time. We are doing fine too, thanks, with a couple of cruises lined up, although we have a few more years to go till we can do longer ones like you. Can't wait! Safe travels to you too. ☺️

• Like 1

6 hours ago, bonsai3s said:

1. Private tour.

2. Ship's tour.

3. Boat from dock, to dock below Oia, bus up to Oia, then bus back to Fira, then down (the3ways) to the dock.

4. Local bus. Briefly, this is what we did. We managed to get on the first tender...short queue to the cable car. Up in Fira, it was about a 10-minute walk to the bus station (an open square/plaza)...cost was 1.60€ per person each way, payable in cash to the conductor...it was about a 30-minute bus ride to Oia with 5 local stops. Once in Oia, it's a short walk to the iconic blue domes (again, narrow streets, hills, and incredibly fun looking for the right photo spot).

Very good thanks much, were you able to see all the sights in Oia and Fira or those are only doable via private or ship tour?

58 minutes ago, Tina80 said:

Very good thanks much, were you able to see all the sights in Oia and Fira or those are only doable via private or ship tour?

We were able to visit most, if not all, of the sights at both Oia and Fira...all in one day. 

* Both Fira abd Oia are relatively small towns. If you can embrace walking up and down hills, steps, navigating through winding narrow streets....with the blessing of your 9-yr. old...then you'll be fine.

IMG_1768.jpg

IMG_1570.jpg

IMG_1561.jpg

• Like 2

We did a private tour with Karavas travel last week in Santorini. There were 6 in our party. We could choose the itinerary and length of trip. We paid a deposit in advance then the balance on the day. An excellent family company to deal with and always kept in touch. We would recommend them thoroughly.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, bonsai3s said:

We were able to visit most, if not all, of the sights at both Oia and Fira...all in one day. 

* Both Fira abd Oia are relatively small towns. If you can embrace walking up and down hills, steps, navigating through winding narrow streets....with the blessing of your 9-yr. old...then you'll be fine.

IMG_1768.jpg

IMG_1570.jpg

IMG_1561.jpg

Thank you so much! Beautiful pictures! Thank you for sharing!

23 hours ago, bonsai3s said:

1. Private tour.

2. Ship's tour.

With the private tour, looks like we will have to make our way up either via cable cars, walking or donkey ride then we will meet our guide. If we go with option 2 (ship tour), does the ship arrange for cable car or we will still need to stay in line and buy our own ticket? Thank you

1 hour ago, Tina80 said:

With the private tour, looks like we will have to make our way up either via cable cars, walking or donkey ride then we will meet our guide. If we go with option 2 (ship tour), does the ship arrange for cable car or we will still need to stay in line and buy our own ticket? Thank you

Ship tours take you to the ferry port where you board a bus for the tour.

At the end of the tour two things can happen. A few tours will return by bus to the ferry port and tender back from there.  Most tours will leave you at Fira where you will have free time. There they will give you a cable car ticket for you to return when you are ready.  You will have to stand in line to get on the cable car, but you will have a ticket. 

1 hour ago, Tina80 said:

After your time in Oia, the tour will take you to Fira.  Most tours give you a voucher for the cable car but you will still need to wait in line.  There is only one line for the cable cars whether you pay by cash, card or voucher.

1 hour ago, mapleleaves said:

After your time in Oia, the tour will take you to Fira.  Most tours give you a voucher for the cable car but you will still need to wait in line.  There is only one line for the cable cars whether you pay by cash, card or voucher.

Of course you can always do the fun thing and walk down!

6 hours ago, marazul said:

Ship tours take you to the ferry port where you board a bus for the tour.

At the end of the tour two things can happen. A few tours will return by bus to the ferry port and tender back from there.  Most tours will leave you at Fira where you will have free time. There they will give you a cable car ticket for you to return when you are ready.  You will have to stand in line to get on the cable car, but you will have a ticket. 

Thank you, so ship tours take us to the ferry port, does this mean we won't use a cable car going there? I thought once we get to the old port via tender, there are only three ways we have to choose from: Walking, donkey ride and cable cars. Didn't know the bus is also an option, or maybe I am misunderstood

Posted (edited)
30 minutes ago, Tina80 said:

Thank you, so ship tours take us to the ferry port, does this mean we won't use a cable car going there? I thought once we get to the old port via tender, there are only three ways we have to choose from: Walking, donkey ride and cable cars. Didn't know the bus is also an option, or maybe I am misunderstood

There are two ports. Athinios=ferry port.  Skala=old port=cable car port=donkey trail port. The ferry port has road access. The cable car port is at the bottom of a cliff with no road access.

All ship tours tender you to the ferry port and start there. SOME ship tours return you to the ferry port at the end of the tour and tender back. Read the descriptions carefully. The vast majority of ship tours drop you off in Fira with a cable car ticket at the end of the tour. You have to use the cable car, the donkeys or walk to get down to the tenders.

Independent pax are tendered to the cable car port and have to return there. They have to use the cable car, ride the donkeys or walk BOTH ways. 

Edited by marazul

30 minutes ago, marazul said:

There are two ports. Athinios=ferry port.  Skala=old port=cable car port=donkey trail port. The ferry port has road access. The cable car port is at the bottom of a cliff with no road access.

All ship tours tender you to the ferry port and start there. SOME ship tours return you to the ferry port at the end of the tour and tender back. Read the descriptions carefully. The vast majority of ship tours drop you off in Fira with a cable car ticket at the end of the tour. You have to use the cable car, the donkeys or walk to get down to the tenders.

Oh perfect, thank you, I understand it now. RC tour I was looking at doesn't really specify where they take us after the tour but I will check again,

34 minutes ago, Tina80 said:

Oh perfect, thank you, I understand it now. RC tour I was looking at doesn't rezally specify where they take us after the tour but I will check again,

Agree with all of them.

@marazul  @mapleleaves Thank you both.

@zqvol  One of these days, I may just try walking down. :classic_smile:

Just now, bonsai3s said:

Agree with all of them.

@marazul  @mapleleaves Thank you both.

@zqvol  One of these days, I may just try walking down. :classic_smile:

I’ve walked down twice (I think it’s been twice). I was in no hurry and just had to watch for the mules. The views are great. We’ve also done the cable car both ways, and I rode the mules up once. Lots of options. 

• Like 1

• 5 weeks later...

Hi all. I hope to be cruising to Santorini in May 2025. Many seem to be visiting Oia...is it nicer than Fira? Can the blue domes be seen around Fira too? Are there buses returning to Fira regularly from Oia? Do bus drivers understand english generally? How long would be needed for a browse around each town? Does either place have a beach nearby for swimming?

2 hours ago, waterlegs said:

Hi all. I hope to be cruising to Santorini in May 2025. Many seem to be visiting Oia...is it nicer than Fira? Can the blue domes be seen around Fira too? Are there buses returning to Fira regularly from Oia? Do bus drivers understand english generally? How long would be needed for a browse around each town? Does either place have a beach nearby for swimming?

Both Oia and Fira are nice, both with stunning vews...but most visit Oia for that blue dome photo-op.

No, the blue domes cannot be seen from Fira.

Buses to and from Oia run regularly...about every 30 minutes.

* Fira to Oia takes about 30 minutes with 5 stops...most passengers are tourist and only a few locals.  The bus rarely stops between Fira and Oia.

There is a conductor on each bus that will accept your money and can answer your questions.  Best to have the exact fare for the bus.

Browsing...depends on your ability to walk and navigate around, up and down, hills and winding narrow streets.  Perhaps 2 hours at each town.

Not sure about beaches nearby. Happy sailing!