Could we make this flight?

chloemonkey

We had planned on just spending a night post cruise in Miami BUT with this Coronavirus stuff AND the fact that we prefer large body aircraft.......I am considering giving this s shot!  As there IS one #777 flights leaving at 10:05 am on the morning of our arrival back into Miami....

Thoughts?

More info is needed to make an assessment:

What day of the week?  What time is scheduled arrival?  Will you be able to do self disembarkation (carry off all your luggage)?  Do you have luggage to check?  Do you have TSA pre-check to get through security faster?  What will be the cost of your plan B if you miss your flight?

If it's international, I wouldn't touch it for the world under pretty much any condition.

In the current world of Coronavirus, the lines at airports seem to be smaller, but what additional screening, if any, that may be needed remains an unknown.

On 3/5/2020 at 5:34 PM, chloemonkey said:

We had planned on just spending a night post cruise in Miami BUT with this Coronavirus stuff AND the fact that we prefer large body aircraft.......I am considering giving this s shot!  As there IS one #777 flights leaving at 10:05 am on the morning of our arrival back into Miami....

Thoughts?

Again, without more details, hard to answer your questions. And, by the way, a 777 might be on the flight today, but that is absolutely not guaranteed. Planes can, and do, change.

Not sure what happened to my earlier post....but I decided NOT to take the chance and booked a hotel to spend one night post cruise in Miami.  But now?  I am probably going to cancel the entire trip as the advice from various health agencies has changed pretty dramatically over the past 24-48 hours.  So now instead of worrying about making a 10:05 flight - I will be trying to cancel cruise, hotels from both ends of the trip (one I KNOW is non-refundable so there goes $800+ or so) and then airline tickets....I am just so happy that Oceania changed the cancellation and refund issue in light of this health issue facing us all.  Again - I need to keep this all in perspective as although I am SO disappointed.....my heart goes out to those that have become seriously/critically ill and worse. 

Now to read the "fine print" and figure out what IS covered and refundable, when the absolute deadline is to cancel, etc.  But tomorrow is another day......

7 hours ago, chloemonkey said:

Not sure what happened to my earlier post....but I decided NOT to take the chance and booked a hotel to spend one night post cruise in Miami.  But now?  I am probably going to cancel the entire trip as the advice from various health agencies has changed pretty dramatically over the past 24-48 hours.  So now instead of worrying about making a 10:05 flight - I will be trying to cancel cruise, hotels from both ends of the trip (one I KNOW is non-refundable so there goes $800+ or so) and then airline tickets....I am just so happy that Oceania changed the cancellation and refund issue in light of this health issue facing us all.  Again - I need to keep this all in perspective as although I am SO disappointed.....my heart goes out to those that have become seriously/critically ill and worse. 

Now to read the "fine print" and figure out what IS covered and refundable, when the absolute deadline is to cancel, etc.  But tomorrow is another day......

We were scheduled for Disney cruise in February.   Unfortunately the morning we were to leave for airport my grand daughter had a 105 temperature and had to be taken to Emergency Room.    She was diagnosed with Flu B and missed a week of school but is fine now.   Good news is that Spirit Airlines gave us 60 days to re-book another flight.    Flight doesn't have to be taken within the 60 days - just re-booked.    We were able to cancel everything and get our money back - minus the insurance cost to cover the trip ($158/ea) and our our one shuttle from Ft Lauderdale to Port of Miami which was on $12/ea.  So we were lucky - hopefully you'll be able to re-coup most of what you have invested.    Good Luck - and stay healthy!  There are always more cruises in the future.  

• 3 weeks later...

For your future reference: Consider that a flight departing at 10 am means you actually need to be at the airport at least an hour before that, and preferably more. So you're really wanting to be at the airport at 8:30 to 8:45 am.

While that is technically possible, you would want to be in the first walk-off disembarkation group, carrying all your own luggage. You would want immediate transportation to the airport (cab or uber, lyft). You would be hoping for no delays in the start of disembarkation. The ship will dock at 5am to 6am, but won't usually begin disembarkation until around 7:00 am

The good news is that the Miami airport is about 15 minutes from the pier. The bad news is that Miami airport (under normal, non-coronavirus conditions) is almost always a crowded mess with long lines for baggage check and security clearance. You would be helped if you had status with the airline you were using, and if you had TSA Pre-check.

In any case, I wouldn't suggest a 10am flight. If you miss it, you're looking a long day of trying to get home. Why put yourself in that situation after a nice relaxing vacation? Next time, take a flight at noon or later.

Edited by VideoTech