Help me decide: birthday cruise Breakaway or Sky?

Petals22

I keep changing my mind between two itineraries in July.  We currently live in Florida so I plan to leave from Miami.  I am celebrating a major milestone birthday in July.  I would like to accumulate emough points (need 9 pts) to be a platinum by November.  My choices of cruises are a 5 day out of Miami on the Sky (none of which are available for my actual birthday).  I would either need to be in a suite in order to get double points or do a 5 day followed by a 4 day in any cabin.  or take a Breakaway cruise the week of my birthday.  We could do a suite or Haven in order to get double points .  However, the Breakaway's itinerary is the Western Caribbean which isn't one of my favorite routes.  I am leaning towards the Haven spa suite since that will get us into all the Haven perks.  I know no one can make the decision for me... just wondering if anyone has any wisdom to impart on things I might not be thinking about.

The breakaway is a big ship and we prefer the smaller ships.  But if in the Haven area, maybe we won't think it is so big and crowded.  If I have the thermal suite access and the Haven access I wouldn't have to leave the ship so it wouldn't matter that the ports aren't my favorite.  I have seen a lot of negative reviews on the Breakaway but that may be because people are more prone to complain than to praise.

We were on the Sky several years ago.  It was easy to get around.  My husband loved GSC.  I want to go to Key West again.  We are neutral on the Bahamas.  The Sky doesn't have the HAven area or the thermal suites. 

What else am I missing?  The price for the 7 day Breakaway in the Haven Spa suite is roughly $1,000 more than 5 day/4 day Sky option .  I don't remember the difference for the suite level 5 day on the Sky.  It seemed like a lot of money for just 5 days.... when I could spend a bit more and get the actual Haven for 7. 

thanks! 

8 minutes ago, Petals22 said:

The price for the 7 day Breakaway in the Haven Spa suite is roughly $1,000 more than 5 day/4 day Sky option .  I don't remember the difference for the suite level 5 day on the Sky.  It seemed like a lot of money for just 5 days.... when I could spend a bit more and get the actual Haven for 7. 

...and there is your answer.    Try something new and enjoy 7 days.   For me at least, the five day cruise would feel incomplete to.

Edited by ColeThornton
  • Like 1

I would also vote for the longer cruise in the Haven with Spa perks to enjoy when you don’t feel like visiting a port. I like the smaller ships too, but the extra 2 days of vacation with the added treats mentioned above would make my birthday extra special.  

• Like 1

It's a little funny you're going between these two. We did the Sky in December and are going on the Breakaway in May (so I can't comment on that ship yet). 
We weren't 100% thrilled with the Sky, but it wasn't bad. And you've said you've sailed on her before so you already know and don't need a review. Based on what you've said in your post, I would choose the Sky for the ship and itinerary. If you're looking at cruising for the Haven, then obviously you'd have no choice between those two. But with that said, only $1,000 more for The Haven, I'd go there and take an itinerary I'm not too fond of and get the Haven over cruising the Sky to the Bahamas. 

Edit:
Just saw you've chosen the Breakaway Category H9, Have fun!

Edited by CruiseFanatic223

Please let me know how you like the Breakaway!  I put the the Haven Spa suite on hold on Friday to grab  the OBC offer and then somehow with the time change or something it dissappeared from my NCl.com account.  I was supposed to have until tomorrow to pay the deposit.  I freaked out but was able to get in touch with my PCC and she put the info back on hold.  Have to decide by tomorrow noon and pay the deposit.  Thanks for your input!