Charleston SC port, what to do?

Funcouple

Ship docks in March 9a - 5p

Charleston sounds like an interesting Historical City with lots of history, downtown touring, food, waterfronts, plantations (30 minutes away), etc.

What is there to do there? What looks unique? How about food, anything really unique? What will the weather be like (temperature)?

We were in Charleston for the weekend last year in late February; it was chilly but not uncomfortably so. We opted to focus our attention in and around Old Town and did not go to any any of the plantations, leaving them for a spring visit at some future date.

Old Town Charleston is very walkable, beautiful homes along the river front. We started in downtown, not far from where the cruise ships dock, walked along Rainbow Row, all the way to Battery Park, before returning via the narrow sidestreets. We did one of the carriage rides - route is luck of the draw as they are assigned at departure based on how many carriages are out - eliminates carriage and traffic congestion. The ride was lots of fun and the commentary enhanced our experience. We're not shoppers, but the Old Market was worth a quick visit. We also took the ferry across to Ft Sumter - the 15-minute Ranger talk was an excellent overview and we had time to wander around on our own afterwards. Near the Ft Sumter ferry landing there is an Aquarium and an IMAX Theater that we also visited and enjoyed.

As you can tell, we had a very busy weekend. Old Town has a lot to offer - including lots of quaint stores and many, many restaurants (can't recall the places we ate at, but we enjoyed the food at every venue). Since you'll have only one day, you'll have to pick and choose what you do based on your interests - I doubt you will be bored. Have fun.

Have you looked at the shore excursions for that city on the Celebrity web site? They might have some information for tours that might interest you. I know that when we were there but not on a cruise there was all sorts of tours that you could take. Check out the Celebrity excursion site.

Marilyn

On a cruise last year I met a couple who own a carriage ride company and one of their drivers. They made those sound really neat!! So if you opt for that ask if the owners are cruisers. You might meet some X people!

I enjoyed the Old Market area and the small shops on the streets surrounding it.

I lived in Charleston for 30 years and now live about 40 miles South (as the crow flies) in Beaufort. It's been really warm here this year, only worn long pants about eight times. With luck, it should be in the mid 60's. I'll second all of the above and add the Charleston aquarium and lunch at Slightly North of Broad (SNOB's) for some authentic Lowcountry cuisine. Try the shrimp and grits. If need more info you may email me at dmarch0666@charter.net

Ship docks in March 9a - 5p

Charleston sounds like an interesting Historical City with lots of history, downtown touring, food, waterfronts, plantations (30 minutes away), etc.

What is there to do there? What looks unique? How about food, anything really unique? What will the weather be like (temperature)?

"Low Country" food is unique. Here's a description of Low Country cuisine.

http://www.chefrick.com/html/lowcountry.html

In addition to the activities others have mentioned, you can also tour many of the individual homes near the Battery, such as the John Calhoun mansion and many others. There are also a lot of really nice antique and furniture shops near the Market and along King Street. Walking tours are readily available, too. The Haunted House tour is very popular. And the best way to get an overview of Charleston and its history is the carriage rides.

Among the good restaurants are Magnolia's, Blossom, 82 Queen, High Cotton, Ansons, The Charleston Grille at the Omni, the Peninsula Grille right on the corner of Meeting street and the Market, Cypress, Slightly North of Broad, and the fresh-off-the-boat seafood at Shem Creek in Mount Pleasant across the bridge.

For dessert, Kaminsky's Most Excellent Deli hits the spot.

We lived in Charleston for a couple of years, and still go down there maybe two or three times a year. It's a great place.

I lived in Charleston for 30 years and now live about 40 miles South (as the crow flies) in Beaufort.

Beaufort is a beautiful place with a lot of history. It's Pat Conroy's spiritual home. He describes it at length in his cookbook which was published a year or so ago.

We lived in Charleston, and have also lived on Hilton Head Island, very near Beaufort. My middle son lived in Hilton Head for 15 years and now lives on Tybee Island near Savannah and Edisto Island off the coast of SC, north of Beaufort.

That whole area is a great place to visit and an even better place to live.

Allen

I would suggest going over to the visitors center. You can grab a tour bus through the entire city from that location. There are numerous tours available and can be a good start. You can go to Ft. Sumter or just walk around and take in the history. A good tour of the city will give you some ideas of where to go. Also, there is an interesting shopping area right in the center of downtown, actually a flea market inside.

I live in Charleston and will be happy to answer any questions. If it's not raining and you like to walk, you can get a downtown map, and do your own tour. Church Street is one of the prettiest streets for walking. There are beautiful historic homes surrounding the battery (south end of East Bay St). If you're interested in doing a shore excursion, and want to see a plantation, of the two offered Magnolia Plantation is much better than Boone Hall. (My personal favorite, Middleton Plantation is not offered). Unless you are a real Civil War buff, I'd skip Ft. Sumter--you only have one day and there's too much else to do! The market is a little too touristy for my taste. Walk a couple of blocks past the market onto King Street for much better shopping. A carriage ride can be a lot of fun if you get a good guide. If you want to do a private ride in a smaller carriage (holds 2-6) ask one of the drivers, or walk north about a block and you'll see the stables on the right. They can arrange a private tour--runs about $100. Or better yet, book ahead on the internet so you don't waste precious time negotiating. Have fun!

We are also looking forward to our stop on the Connie in March. Old Town sounds great to me. And will also check out King St and Rainbow Row and hopefully one of the restaurants. Thanks to all the natives for the great suggestions.

One question? Is all of this walking distance from where the ship docks or will we need to get a cab?

Thanks

We loved charleston we sailed constellation and did the carriage ride and then just did our own walking tour. would love to go back for a weekend!!

Although I was not really looking forward to our stop at Charleston I have to say it would now be at the top of my list of favorite port stops

Archived