Canadians - what are you doing now that we're being advised not to cruise

https://www.cp24.com/news/ontario-reports-17-new-cases-of-covid-19-total-rises-to-59-1.4850163

"..one of their patients, a woman in her 60s, returned to Canada on March 8 after embarking on a Celebrity Cruise that landed on the islands of St. Thomas, St. Martin, Barbados, Dominique, Grenada and Puerto Rico.""

Looks like she was on the Summit.

We are looking at cancelling our Hawaii land trip the first week of April. We can cancel the hotel at no charge up to this Saturday at 6pm. Everything else is easily cancelled.  Air Canada will be a long phone call but I’m not doing that until after the start March break. 

We were scheduled for an Azamara cruise (owned by RCI) for the 17th out of Dubai.  The cruise has been cancelled by Azamara but we already have our air booked and pre and post hotel bookings -- all non refundable.  We tried to look at paying the change fee for our flights to go somewhere else, but the prices have gone up 300% so we can't really afford almost $11,000 for 3 persons to rebook.

So ultimately we're going to Dubai this weekend, and then heading to Mauritius.  Our flights route through Heathrow.  These are not countries currently on the WHO 'list', so my biggest risk should be on the plane and passing through the airports.   

We're pretty much tied to the school schedule for our trips at the moment and already have plans for the Summer, so are going ahead and hope we made the right decision.  

I'm booked to cruise Freedom of the Seas on March 22.  My HR officer just informed me that I should call the office the day before I return to the office so she can check the CDC website.  If the ports visited (Aruba, Bonaire, Curacao, and St. Maarten) are still a Level 2 risk, I'll have to self-quarantine for 14 days using my sick leave.  I'll periodically check the CDC website and if the ports are still a Level 2 risk, I'll use the 48 hours window and cancel the cruise, airline, and hotel instead. 

I spoke with a rep from Manulife insurance today (Canada) about my coverage for a mid April cruise, I wanted to be clear exactly where I stood about coverage.  I have medical and trip cancellation insurance.  

-  If I cancel the cruise before the travel day,  I will get a full refund for cruise and air fare.

- If I go to Florida and just stay there for a holiday I will have full medical coverage.

- If I go on the cruise, once on the cruise all insurance will be gone, not only for coronavirus but for anything. This as a result of the advisory before we left for out trip.

So as much as we wanted to go,  we are going to take the full refund and go when everything blows over. For people that still go I wish you a great trip.

• Like 1

On 3/9/2020 at 6:44 PM, archer_310 said:

We're scheduled to leave on the AoS this Saturday (March 14th).  Like the US, the government is suggesting that we don't cruise.  I'm fine with going, but the wife is unsure and another family that we know was going has decided not to.  My biggest concern is being allowed back into Canada at the border without them saying that we need to go into a 14-day quarantine because we were "outside" North America.  Just wondering what other Canadians are doing with cruises upcoming in the next few days for March Break.

Even though the trip was in July, cancelled everything. Hotels were great, the cruise line was great, just the airfare that is sticking around for now.

Hoping to see their grace period for cancellation to extend into July so I can get a refund but hate to wish  for that!

Wish Expedia had better policies (they took my money but now pretend it is between me and the airline).

35 minutes ago, A&L_Ont said:

Cancelled land trip to Hawaii today.  If we could teleport sure, but airport no thank you.

and I am guessing no hockey for Owen with Hockey Canada's announcment of suspening all hockey.we were heading to a tournament tomorrow an got word an hour ago it was cancelled 😞

On 3/11/2020 at 5:53 AM, dpostman said:

My wife and I are scheduled for a 7 day Western Caribbean departing Miami on March 28.  Sadly, we are probably going to end up cancelling.  Just waiting a bit in case something changes for the better (I doubt it).

We are both not at all worried for health reasons, but our kids would be staying home by themselves for the week for the first time, and we are OK with that, but if for some reason the ship were to be held up (quarantined) or we are held up, I would not want our kids home by themselves for maybe up to 3 or 4 weeks.

I work in a hospital, my wife in the school district, and here in NB, the Education Minister has already imposed a mandatory 14 day house isolation upon return for any school kids or employees that return from out of country as of march 9th.  So automatically my wife would be stuck home, and probably just a matter of time before I get the same guidelines.

I know much of the reaction in the population form this is hysterical and out of proportion, but nonetheless, we have to make our decisions based on what is best for us, and it looks like cancelling is the most appropriate one.  I wish we had no other responsibilities to anyone else and we could just chance it and go like others here can.

I do wish the best of luck to those that decide to go, and best of luck finding deals to those rebooking 😉

dp

We are in the same boat as you here in Alberta . 

MIAMI, March 13, 2020 – Today Royal Caribbean Cruises LTD. announced that it is suspending cruising in the United States for 30 days.

We understand the gravity of the public health crisis confronting the country. And this is our part to play. So, beginning at midnight tonight, we are pausing the fleet’s US sailings for 30 days. 

We are reaching out to our guests to help them work through this disruption to their vacations, and we are truly sorry for their inconvenience. We are also communicating with our crew to work out the issues this decision presents for them. We know this adds great stress to our guests, employees and crew, and we are working to minimize the disruption.

Our business is providing great vacations and creating great memories. We look forward to getting back to work as soon as we can.

18 hours shy of our cruise and they cancelled!  Sucks!  We gambled and lost by coming down to Fort Lauderdale, but what can you do.  There was nothing happening with the ships, but I get it that they were spooked by Trump's speech.  Live and learn.

Back home now shivering in the cold.

Edited by archer_310

On 3/12/2020 at 5:55 PM, charmed101 said:

I spoke with a rep from Manulife insurance today (Canada) about my coverage for a mid April cruise, I wanted to be clear exactly where I stood about coverage.  I have medical and trip cancellation insurance.  

-  If I cancel the cruise before the travel day,  I will get a full refund for cruise and air fare.

- If I go to Florida and just stay there for a holiday I will have full medical coverage.

- If I go on the cruise, once on the cruise all insurance will be gone, not only for coronavirus but for anything. This as a result of the advisory before we left for out trip.

So as much as we wanted to go,  we are going to take the full refund and go when everything blows over. For people that still go I wish you a great trip.

We also have coverage (Medical, trip interruption and cancellation) with Manulife for our cruise set to depart on 25 April.  I want to make sure I understand what you have written. They are going to refund you your cruise and airfares because of the warnings not to travel?  This seems too good to be true as most cruise lines and air carriers are giving you a full credit to use in the future. This would be a win, win, insurance gives you a full refund for the cruise and airfare and you can use the credits to re-book in the future.  I'm going to give Manulife a call to see if I get the same response.

In order to claim insurance on the "trip cancellation" part you have to provide proof that you have cancelled  the cruise and the flights,  you can't get the insurance plus the FCC from the cruise and a flight for future use.