Upgrade Selection

SCLGFam2008

How does Carnival select who they wish to upgrade?  Is it a lottery, amount people paid/cabin, diamond or platinum cruisers?   I'm more curious than anything.  I've never been selected for an upgrade and was just curious as to how the process works and if there was anything behind the scenes that I could do on future cruises etc.

I've never been upgraded except once and I was mad they changed my cabin. I preferred what I had booked.

If you want a upgrade watch prices and if they drop call and ask to be moved to the category that matches what you paid.

Luckily rarely does carnival upgrade or change your cabin. Imo they should have contacted me and asked if I wanted to change.

It's based on supply and demand.   In our case, we have a balcony cabin booked on Deck 16 on the Mardi Gras.  Apparently there is a need for those cabins so they offered us a suite that apparently wasn't selling.  Price wasn't worth it so we turned it down.

The cheaper cabins sell quicker.  They will offer a "slightly" reduced price on a better cabin that isn't selling, hoping that you will take it.  Then they can resell your cabin to someone else.

It's a conundrum.  Or a puzzlement.  I am booked on the Legend June 3 TA  (will it sail?) in a 4K cabin, the ones that are insides but have the floor to ceiling window looking out at a lifeboat.  Yesterday I got an upsell email to move to a real OV for $1194.  Really?  That's about $1700 more than the cabin I am in.  I went into the website and priced the only 4K available, and it was $1800 more than what I paid.  Guess they think I will give them $1200 more so they can resell the cabin I have for a lot more...  I declined the offer.  EM