Is Mendenhall a must see?

sclitlady

We are going on the whale watch w/Captain Larry in Juneau and are trying to decide what else we want to do with the time that we have. We are on the NCL Star in port from 2-10. (although I am told this ship usually gets in early) Doing the late whale watch and have to be at the Orca office at 5:30. Since we are doing a glacier landing in Skagway and cruising Glacier Bay I was wondering if skipping Mendenhall would be a bad thing. I hate for my family to miss something exciting but I thought if we didn't go there we could tour downtown, go to the museum, or gold panning etc. Does anyone have any insight? I appreciate the help:)

No Mendenhall is not a must see. :) It does have a nice visitor center and sometimes good ranger activities. But you will get a view on you shuttle to Auke Bay and a distant view from the whale watch. Pick up a walking tour map if you want to tour downtown, plenty of hidden gems. :) Also copy the walking tours from Foddor's Alaska and Frommer's Alaska and combine them for your interests.

After a glacier landing in Skagway and cruising Glacier Bay, Mendenhall is not likely to make it onto your "highlights of ther cruise" list. If you get perfect weather, it's a nice scenic overlook, but that's it - it's a distant view, and the area is crowded. OTOH, there are some excellent walking trails from the Visitor Center, and in the area.

Murray

We are going on the whale watch w/Captain Larry in Juneau and are trying to decide what else we want to do with the time that we have. We are on the NCL Star in port from 2-10. (although I am told this ship usually gets in early) Doing the late whale watch and have to be at the Orca office at 5:30. Since we are doing a glacier landing in Skagway and cruising Glacier Bay I was wondering if skipping Mendenhall would be a bad thing. I hate for my family to miss something exciting but I thought if we didn't go there we could tour downtown, go to the museum, or gold panning etc. Does anyone have any insight? I appreciate the help:)

Hi SCLITLADY,

I am from SC too, near Charleston. Where are you from?

I am probably the only one that thinks Mendenhall Glacier is a priority...but our last name is Mendenhall, so Hubster and I want to stand on "our" glacier! What ever you choose to do, I think your family will have a blast! I know we will! 99 days left before we board!!! Julie

Hello:

I live in Rock Hill SC. We love Charleston and visit whenever we can. I know some Mendenhalls here in Rock Hill. I think it is a common name in the south. We will probably skip the trip out to the visitor's center and spend some time downtown. My husband will not take the tram or I would do that. He is afraid of heights and said NO Way:rolleyes: This is our 1st cruise and 1st trip to Alaska so we are very excited.

Thanks for the replies everyone!

In my opinion you're already doing the can't-miss excursion with Captain Larry. We went to Mendenhall in 2001 and enjoyed it, but did not go back this past summer. Mendenhall kind of takes a back seat after seeing College Fjord and Glacier Bay. What we did enjoy after Captain Larry's excursion though was a trip up the tram to Mt. Roberts. It was kind of an afterthought, but we had a little time on our hands and thoroughly enjoyed the trip up. We didn't have time to take all of the hiking trails, but the view of Juneau and Gastineau Channel alone is worth it. I enjoyed it more than the trip to Mendenhall.

Hi! I live in Greer, SC and we're going on he Spirit on May 10th for the Glacier Bay cruise. Small world! I'm glad to read some of these comments. I don't really have a clue yet what we will do in any of the stops except for Skagway where we booked the bus/bike ride down White Pass. Wanted the train really bad, but too expensive for us. We are doing pre and post sail stuff and will get a train ride when we go from Seattle to Vancouver. Hope you guys all have fun. Going a bit later in May, it may be warmer for you than us.

>>....will get a train ride when we go from Seattle to Vancouver.<<

Sorry, sailboater, but that train and the White Pass & Yukon Route have Zero in common other than the fact they they run on steel rails!

Murray

Hi Sclitlady, Jimende63 & Sailboater1,

I also live in South Carolina and Sailboater1 the world just got even smaller, because I also live in Greer. We are on the Sapphire Princess May 20th from Vancouver to Whitter. This is our 6th cruise, 2nd on Princess and 1st to Alaska and are really looking forward to it. So far the only excursion we have booked is the White Pass Train trip in Skagway. We are doing the 5 night land tour at the end of the cruise. I really enjoy reading all the great tips on this board. Have a great trip everyone.!!!

Sclitllday,

We did the Capt Larry WW tour in Juneau. We were able to book a shuttle through Orca Enterprises to take us out to the Mendenhall Glacier, then later back to the ship. We did their WW tour early so it might be a different senerio for you, so call them if you are interested in working out a timeline that will work for you.

The visitors center was great, but the very best part of the Mendenhall experience for us was the hike to the waterfall that is right next to the glacier. It is more like a short walk, than a hike, but it really made the day seem real. If we had viewed it only from the entryway viewpoint and the visitor's center it would have felt like we looked at a postcard instead of the real thing. I was a bit disappointed in that you can't get close enough (from the visitors center side ) to touch the glacier. But the hike to the waterfall more than made up for it.

The local kids use the side section of the lake that has sandbars as the local swimming hole. The sun heats up the sand and the surrounding water sufficiently that it is warm enough to swim in even tho in the main part of the lake there were icebergs. :eek: The local teen boys were telling us that it was warm in the water, but it was a bit brisk with the wind off of the glacier when they got out.

We did the canoe trip to Mendenhall Glacier, and felt it was the highlight of our trip, but our R/T from Seattle did not get to either Glacier Bay or College Fjords, and wife refuses to ride in a helicopter, so this was our primary glacier experience for that trip (previous trip included College Fjords and walk up to Exit Glacier in Seward--still anticpating Glacier Bay, which means another trip to Alaska!). You can get much closer to Mendenhall face from the canoe, but it is a 3-4 hour excursion.

We really enjoyed Mendenhall Glacier on our first trip to Alaska...it prepared us for even better views to come in Glacier Bay. This year, we're sailing with our family (their first time) and will sail by Hubbard Glacier. We hope they will also go to Mendenhall since the kids will enjoy walking to the waterfall and seeing the glacier up close (on land to compare with from the ship at Hubbard). We were able to get a taxi next to the dock for about $5 a person....gave us the opportunity to chose how long we stayed and he took us over the bridge to view the ship and Juneau from the other side (great photo op.) on the way back. Lovely trip - inexpensive and left us time to tour the town as well.

We are thinking of booking a 9 am to 12:30 pm whale watching tour with Captain Larry. Our boat boards at 3:30 pm. Should we have him drop us Mendall after the trip or walk around town? If we do go to Mendall after whale watching will we have any time to see Juneau?

I'd say you'd be cutting it close to try to get to the glacier, see what you want to see and get back in time to board (without being anxious). Juneau is an easy 'walking' town and the ship docks essentially right in the city so walking around, getting a snack, seeing the sights and photo ops is very doable...

It is a 20 min shuttle bus ride back to downtown Juneau docks from Mendenhall. In peak season, you can NOT count on just getting on the next shuttle back. One time, I was in line and had to wait until the third bus. :( With your tight timeframe, and if you can get a drop off, I would definately suggest you just take a cab direcly back.

Determine what your priority is, you probably don't have time for both, unless you just want a look, quick walk along the beach and be out in 45 minutes. Definately enough time however.

Just thought I would say hey to everyone near me. I also live in Mauldin, Sc, I'm in Greer in 15 min. I believe sclittlelady and my family is going to be on the same cruise 7/9/06. I am also thinking of doing the 5:30 whale watching with Larry.

Can anyone tell me how much time we would need at Mendenhall if we did the hike to the waterfall and saw the fish across the bridge(I think someone mentioned this about the samon).Thanks

Can anyone tell me how much time we would need at Mendenhall if we did the hike to the waterfall and saw the fish across the bridge(I think someone mentioned this about the samon).Thanks

You are probably too early for salmon. Allow 45 minutes.

Hi! I live in Greer, SC and we're going on he Spirit on May 10th for the Glacier Bay cruise. Small world! I'm glad to read some of these comments. I don't really have a clue yet what we will do in any of the stops except for Skagway where we booked the bus/bike ride down White Pass. Wanted the train really bad, but too expensive for us. We are doing pre and post sail stuff and will get a train ride when we go from Seattle to Vancouver. Hope you guys all have fun. Going a bit later in May, it may be warmer for you than us.

Well you do the cruise before me! So I will 'see" you when you get off and I am in line to come on the ship!:D I would really try to get the train on your list if you REALLY want to do it! I really wanted the glacier trip from Temsco so I bit the bullet and did it!

Hello:

I live in Rock Hill SC. We love Charleston and visit whenever we can. I know some Mendenhalls here in Rock Hill. I think it is a common name in the south. We will probably skip the trip out to the visitor's center and spend some time downtown. My husband will not take the tram or I would do that. He is afraid of heights and said NO Way:rolleyes: This is our 1st cruise and 1st trip to Alaska so we are very excited.

Thanks for the replies everyone!

I actually live in Huger. But I work in Charleston. tell your hubby I am afraid of heights too, BUT, I am going to do the tram if the weather cooperates!! It is our first cruise and trip to Alaska too! We are soo excited!

As far as the Mendenhall name in the south...we migrated here in 1987 and just stayed. So our name comes from Indiana and Iowa. ( well I married hubster..that is how I got it!)

Julie:D

How long is a round trip hike to the waterfall? About how long does it take? Is it pretty easy terrain?

Lp56

It is an "unofficial" trail, just walking along the shoreline. Expect wet spots and mud. :) Round trip easy walk, about 10-15 min. each way at a slow pace.

But do you walk around the shore to the right or to the left to get to the waterfall? Since it's an unofficial trail, I wouldn't want to get lost. We too are on a tight time restraint, but the lady at Orca didn't seem to think that we would have any problems. We are doing the Mendenhall drop off after the whale watch which ends at 12:30, and our boat leaves at 3:30. If we get in a bind and look like we can't make the next shuttle, can we call a taxi? If so how long will it take for them to get out there?

But do you walk around the shore to the right or to the left to get to the waterfall? Since it's an unofficial trail, I wouldn't want to get lost. We too are on a tight time restraint, but the lady at Orca didn't seem to think that we would have any problems. We are doing the Mendenhall drop off after the whale watch which ends at 12:30, and our boat leaves at 3:30. If we get in a bind and look like we can't make the next shuttle, can we call a taxi? If so how long will it take for them to get out there?

The walk is to the right, toward the glacier, along the edge of the lake. That will be your path the entire way to the water fall. :) There is a cab line next to the parking lot.

Archived