Meet & Greet Host or Hostess

Pbader

I was just wondering ( and I have not the time or desire to try to be the hostess) if they are given any "special recognition or perks" for doing so.  I had never given it a thought before, but there seemed to be some animosity over it on my last sailing.  

1 hour ago, Pbader said:

I was just wondering ( and I have not the time or desire to try to be the hostess) if they are given any "special recognition or perks" for doing so.  I had never given it a thought before, but there seemed to be some animosity over it on my last sailing.  

Yes on all my cruises, I wasn't the hostess, but they were in the suite check-in and were able to eat in the suite dining room and they said they got treats.  However, some say they got nothing.

My best story about the perks was a group was sailing and all of them had said in many posts that no one got perks for hosting the meet and greet.  Then in one of their reviews, they said they let X host the meet and greet, so she would get the suite perks since she was sailing in a non-suite cabin. 🤣

Initially a Roll Call is started and sometimes that is the person most interested in volunteering the time

to host the M & G. After the RC is started and that is determined the host will at the appropriate time

contact NCL for details about setting up the M & G on board the ship.

With that noted and started it is bad protocol for a johnnie or janie come lately to butt in and take control

of the party - offer help Yes Ok - but to take away the established leadership - not good.

The come lately persons often think that the host of the M & G get extra benefits - - -

Well the fact of the matter sometimes they do and sometimes nothing nada zero at all other than

honorable mention.

The perks can be as simple as what NCL wants to dispense:

One of the most common is the breakfast and lunch at/with the suite guests restaurant.

Priority tendering leaving the ship

More on the rare side dinner with wine at a specialty restaurant

The host will put a great deal of time and effort to organizing the party - time on the internet RC -

time gathering ideas how to best pull the party off with the guests attending - maybe a gift exchange -

a cabin crawl - a slot pull - a sail-away party.

There is a STICKEY on the main page of the forum about the M & G (sometimes called a Meet & Mingle M&M)

LINK:

If there is a conflict of interest on who is to be the host of the M & G

Lets hope it does not get to that point - in general the one that shows an

initial interest perhaps starting the RC is the presumed host.

On the larger -AWAY class ships the host could use a helping hand

in pulling off party and out of fairness the perks granted (if any) by NCL

could be shared.

If the host is in a suite/Haven cabin it would not be out of line to

contact the Concierge about treating the helpers to something.

If the M & G is not held within the first couple of days of sailing it becomes less important as

guest plans are or have already been made for other events.

Suggested to not go overboard if the time frame is otherwise i.e. 5th day of a 7 day cruise

The M & G is usually held the first SEA day in the mid morning i.e. 10 am

Also note that during the M & G that if someone if having trouble with getting something

organized discuss it then and there with the Hotel manager for a solution.

I have never been TOLD that I was a VIP guest, with certain associated privileges, but have been.   I can only assume that that was the reason.

Dining with the suite guests was the main one. 

However that can have its downside!!!  My wife and I were absolutely snubbed at a "Dining with an Officer" when a suite guest realised that, while we were eating with them in the special dining room, we were not in a suite!!!

Also be careful if you are interested in hosting a M&G that, when you have said you are willing to do it but will wait till a later date to confirm, that someone doesn't jump in to tell NCL that they will do it.  It happened to me and I only found out 2 months later when i did approach NCL to set it up.  I had been gazumped by someone who had never posted on the Roll Call.

I have been M&G host on three different role calls, and have received VIP status each time.  Last cruise on the Getaway, we got priority disembarkment, and tendering, a daily treat delivered to the room (chocolate strawberrys or little cracker mini sandwich things), an invite to cocktails with the captain in the Haven area, and an complementary invite to the ice bar.  We also had access to the Hotel Directors personal assistant if we ever needed anything.

• Like 1