Third-party travel insurance Refund

Good question.  Here is what my insurance is doing for people, not a refund but a voucher.  Never hurts to ask you insurance company

If you cancelled your insurance policy on or after January 24, 2020 due to Coronavirus concerns and you are not eligible for a refund, you may be eligible instead for a travel insurance premium voucher for the full value of the policy purchased.  To be eligible for a premium voucher, your original trip departure date must be no later than April 30, 2020.  All premium vouchers issued must be redeemed for a new travel insurance policy for a covered trip booked no later than September 30, 2020.  However, the trip departure date may occur after September 30, 2020. 

also

If you have not yet begun your trip, you may modify your insurance policy and apply the entire premium paid to a new booked trip.  Your new premium will be calculated based on the details of your rebooked trip.  If the new premium is greater than your original premium, there will be additional premium charged.  If the new premium is less than your original premium, no amount of the original premium will be refunded

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, shemp2000 said:

Good question.  Here is what my insurance is doing for people, not a refund but a voucher.  Never hurts to ask you insurance company

If you cancelled your insurance policy on or after January 24, 2020 due to Coronavirus concerns and you are not eligible for a refund, you may be eligible instead for a travel insurance premium voucher for the full value of the policy purchased.  To be eligible for a premium voucher, your original trip departure date must be no later than April 30, 2020.  All premium vouchers issued must be redeemed for a new travel insurance policy for a covered trip booked no later than September 30, 2020.  However, the trip departure date may occur after September 30, 2020. 

also

If you have not yet begun your trip, you may modify your insurance policy and apply the entire premium paid to a new booked trip.  Your new premium will be calculated based on the details of your rebooked trip.  If the new premium is greater than your original premium, there will be additional premium charged.  If the new premium is less than your original premium, no amount of the original premium will be refunded

Which insurance company was this?

This quote is from Allianz Global Assistance for your information.  Hopefully more companies will post their policy and be as generous. 

"Customers may change their plan’s effective dates to cover a new or rescheduled trip.  Alternatively, for a temporary period, we are offering refunds for the cost of your travel protection plan to customers who wish to cancel their travel protection plan if the customer’s travel supplier canceled the customer’s trip due to COVID-19, so long as no payable claim has been filed under the plan."  

• Like 1

Mine is thru travelinsured international purchased last year to cover trip starting 3/29.  I contacted both them & insuremytrip last week.  

Response from insuremytrip:

hank you for using InsureMyTrip.com.

Please see the following email from C&F Travel Insured:

"The traveler can request for a date change to utilize the policy for a future trip provided is completed within 2 ½ years of the application date. It will require the cancelled letter along with the new itinerary once it’s booked."

not quite sure what “the cancelled letter” is??? Perhaps the notice I received from RCCL & my election to take a refund vs rebooking.  Will need to pin that down

I emailed the insurance company Indicating receipt of my request to file a potential claim.  They responding with an email indicating, confirming receipt & stated  their ‘first notice’ to me.  I.E. instructions to submit, within 15 months whatever costs were not refunded by the travel provider via the form they provided.  Don’t have to submit it, but the process is in place if I elect that option

Thank you for your claim notification. The following is needed to review your claim:

• Trip Cancellation Claim Form
  • Patient Authorization Claim Form
  • Attending Physician’s Statement
  • Information Request Form
  • Airline Credit: A written statement indicating whether or not you plan to use the credit on your unused airline tickets within 1 year after the issue date.
  • Airline Invoices: A copy of the invoice or e-ticket receipt showing the cost of the airfare.
  • Airline Payments: Copies of the cancelled checks, cash receipts or credit card statements showing the payments made for the airfare.
  • Land/Tour Terms and Conditions: Copy of the Cancellation Penalties of the Tour Company or Travel Supplier.
  • Land/Tour Invoices: Copies of the invoices showing the cost of the land or tour arrangements.
  • Land/Tour Payments: Copies of the canceled checks, cash receipts or credit card statements showing the payments made for the land or tour arrangements.
  • Land/Tour Refunds: A copy of the refund check or credit received from the tour operator or travel agent. If you have not received a refund, please have your agent state this in writing.
  • Land/Tour Itinerary: A copy of the itinerary showing the destinations and dates of travel.
  • Travel Agent or Tour Leader Cancellation Statement: A letter from your agent or tour leader confirming the date the trip was cancelled. If no agent was used, please send proof of your cancellation.
  • Verification of Cancellation: Documentation indicating the reason why you needed to cancel your trip.

We must receive all documentation within 15 months from the date of loss. Please make copies of all documents for your personal records and write your name and plan number on each document you submit. Documents may be faxed to: XXX emailed to XXX or mailed to the address provided below.

You can check the status of your claim by logging into your profile or by visiting the link below.

I also have Allianz.  I was not able to do it online. So the Allianz rep walked me through the process of doing it by mail.  She said I will get a full refund credited to my charge card.  It may take 7-10 days after they receive my request.

My Navigator of Seas cruise was cancelled (4/3/2020) so I checked my insurance email and found a FAQ that stated that I can get a full refund or apply credit to a future cruise (before Dec 2021). 

I suggest that you do not panic and do not call before you have a chance to do a little research. Things are changing everyday and by the hour and if you panic like those who were first to cancel you might not get the best options. Wait till you get closer to your cruise before pulling the trigger. First it was  lose your deposit, then FCC, then they added a refund, then they sweetened the pot with 125% FCC, don't know if they are giving OBC like Carnival but not surprised if they did or will offer OBC.

This is the mentality that I am talking about, not to pick on this poster but this is how we all think. I thought the same thing, "no way was the trip insurance company going to refund me or even give me any compensation .."  

On 3/16/2020 at 8:32 PM, klfrodo said:

Has anyone had success calling their auto/home/and fire insurance for a refund after not having any claims?

The government and businesses are doing their best in this critical time of our lives. You will be surprised how in time of crisis human kind and spirit prevail. Be patient and have faith.

Good health and good luck to all. See you on the High Seas when this is over.

Edited by JCJR

On 3/17/2020 at 11:10 AM, edgekid said:

Thanks to all for your responses. I actually called Allianz insurance this morning and within a few minutes they issued a refund. Thanks again for your help

On 3/17/2020 at 11:16 AM, CarolRoy said:

I also have Allianz.  I was not able to do it online. So the Allianz rep walked me through the process of doing it by mail.  She said I will get a full refund credited to my charge card.  It may take 7-10 days after they receive my request.

I, too, had Allianz and they refunded my policy premium when my NCL cruise was cancelled last month.  That was a nice ~$500 bonus that I wasn't expecting to receive.  Not only was this was not something they had to do, I doubt people would have been angry at them if they hadn't refunded the money.  Hell, if they only offered a credit to be used on a future policy, I would have considered that to be generous of them under the circumstances!

I never paid much attention in the past to which company I purchased my insurance from, but I will definitely be using Allianz 100% of the time going forward.  Their refund policy is a great way for them to build customer loyalty.