Ferry disaster, What would happen on cruise ships?

derf5585

No, it definitely wouldn't happen on a cruise ship. There are enough lifeboats for everyone on board. There is a sprinkler system to deal with fires. If a dangerous fire were to break out the ship would be promptly evacuated. Everyone would be wearing lifejackets and no one would be locked in her cabin to keep her from alarming the other passengers.

We were on the Statendam in 2002 when a fire erupted in the electrical distribution panel below decks. The fire alarm went off and this was the real deal, we saw crew in firefighting gear retrieving fire extinguishers from the passageways and we had smoke up on our deck.

The ship basically "died"-lost all power and the crew was very professional, calm but concerned, as we all were. All the passengers were asked to remain in their cabins, but no one was locked in. Those in non-verandah cabins had no fresh air and after the fire was extinguished, many slept up on the Lido Deck or on the Lower Promenade deck.

On every HAL cruise we have been on, the crew has had at least one fire drill. So, I hope they would react appropriately in event of a serious fire. It really gets your attention though when it happens for real!

This wouldn't happen on a cruise ship. Would it?
Sure would, and did. I forget the name of the ship, but it was of Greek origin and, when it started going down, the captain was the first one off. He said that he had to direct rescue operations from shore. The crew bailed out so fast they were practically walking on the water (not successfully done in 2,000 years). One of the musicians was directing rescue operations as the thing started sinking and, I think, rolling over. Not too long ago, the captain was quoted as saying, "I told the passengers to abandon ship; they chose to stay."

We had a fire on the Rotterdam in 2003. We were all told to return to our cabins and wait for instructions. The fire on the Lido Deck was put out within 15 minutes - very scary.

Several years ago, a couple of Greek cruise ships sank - the captain and crew were off first. Lives were lost - not as many on the most recent Egyptian ferry.

A Disney ship had a fire a couple of years ago. I was on the Volendam. We were circling the Disney ship in case they had to evacuate. I recall reading pax were sent to their life boat stations. They did get the fire out and no one had to leave the ship.

Sure would, and did. I forget the name of the ship, but it was of Greek origin and, when it started going down, the captain was the first one off. He said that he had to direct rescue operations from shore. The crew bailed out so fast they were practically walking on the water (not successfully done in 2,000 years). One of the musicians was directing rescue operations as the thing started sinking and, I think, rolling over. Not too long ago, the captain was quoted as saying, "I told the passengers to abandon ship; they chose to stay."
Was it this?

http://www.wimp.com/crew/

I was on the Epirotiki Lines "Oceanos" cruising the Greek Isles. I remember not being impressed favorably by the captain. When I heard the news of the event and its subsequent sinking which occured about a year after my cruise, I was not surprised.

In a TV re-enactment, I saw the ship totally down in the stern and it brought back memories of my of standing on the bow watching the sun rising over Santorini.

Fran

I'm thinking if a ship 'touches' an American port, they are more subject to US Coast Guard regulations and things like that are a lot less likly to happen.

Don't know if it is true, but it makes me feel better:D So, that's my story, and I'm sticking with it!!!

I'm thinking if a ship 'touches' an American port, they are more subject to US Coast Guard regulations and things like that are a lot less likly to happen.

Don't know if it is true, but it makes me feel better:D So, that's my story, and I'm sticking with it!!!

Cruise Ship Consumer Fact Sheet

OCEAN CRUISE SHIPSThis Fact Sheet explains how cruise ships are regulated by the U.S. Coast Guard and other Government agencies.

Coast Guard Safety Oversight

Vessel Safety. Ocean-going cruise ships of U.S. registry must meet a comprehensive set of Coast Guard safety regulations and be inspected annually by the Coast Guard to check for compliance. The safety regulations cover such things as hull structure, watertight integrity, structural requirements to minimize fire hazards, equipment requirements for lifesaving, firefighting, and vessel control, and requirements pertaining to the safe navigation of the ship. If the ship passes its annual inspection, it is issued a Coast Guard Certificate of Inspection valid for one year. The certificate must be displayed where passengers can see it.

Today, nearly all the ocean cruise lines employ passenger ships registered under flags of various foreign countries. (Note: The law requires that cruise-ship advertising in the U.S. disclose the country of registry.) Each ship is subject to the vessel inspection laws of the country in which it is registered. However, as a condition of permitting the vessels to take on passengers at U.S. ports, the U.S. Coast Guard requires the ships to meet the International Convention for the Safety of Life at Sea (referred to as SOLAS.) SOLAS and other international regulations also require compliance with stringent regulations regarding structural fire protection, firefighting and lifesaving equipment, watercraft integrity and stability, vessel control, navigation safety, crewing and crew competency, safety management and environmental protection.

To insure compliance with SOLAS, the Coast Guard examines the ship when it first goes into service at a U.S. port, with quarterly checks thereafter. The examinations emphasize structural fire safety and proper lifesaving equipment. Fire and abandon ship drills conducted by the ship's crew are witnessed, and operational tests are made on key equipment such as steering systems, fire pumps, and lifeboats. The Coast Guard has the authority to require correction of any deficiencies before allowing the ship to take on passengers at the U.S. port. The records of these examinations (called Control Verification Examinations) are open to the public at the Coast Guard Marine Safety Office (MSO) which conducted the examination.

Crewmember Competency. On U.S. passenger vessels, licensed individuals and crew must meet standards for experience and training set forth in Coast Guard regulations. The Coast Guard can revoke or suspend the individual's license or merchant mariner's document for acts of misconduct or incompetence. On foreign-flag cruise ships trading in the U.S., SOLAS requires the vessel to be sufficiently and efficiently manned. The officers' licenses and the vessel's compliance with manning standards are checked as part of the Control Verification Examination.

P.S. #1 you don't know who people will react in an emergency 'til it happens. Training is an effort to reduce that unknown....

P.S. #2 if the ship does not load pas' in the US, no USCG inspection will apply ... for example, a ship operating exclusively in the Med... despite the fact US persons might go on the ship, since the ship is not US registered and not in US waters, there is no US jurisdiction.

A Disney ship had a fire a couple of years ago. I was on the Volendam. We were circling the Disney ship in case they had to evacuate. I recall reading pax were sent to their life boat stations. They did get the fire out and no one had to leave the ship.

A fire on Disney is really a scary thought with all of those little ones onboard. We had almost 1,000 kids on our Disney cruise. The night they did the fireworks I couldn't help but wonder how they'd handle a fire. Kind of makes me glad RCCL doesn't bother with fireworks! :eek:

Archived