The Virtual Explorers' Lounge

photopro2

15 hours ago, LindaS272 said:

Very sad. 🥲

To each his own. I still have a fondness for the cheddar cheese my uncle used to sell from his store in Vermont aged over 2 yrs called "Rat Trap Cheese" so I'm not hopeless. Love camembert, brie, gouda, etc. But something about that orange stuff just didn't do it for me. I tried. honest!!!, 

Well I need a BIG drink.  Just put the bottle of wine right there thank you.  Finished our Fiona storm prep.   We live in a house of glass with 7 6×6 foot windows - a blessing for the scenery until a storm is coming - so put up all our storm shutters.  Wind expected to be not too bad but may be in for 15-20 inches of rain.  Dreaming of our next February cruise is my storm stress control.

• Like 9

15 hours ago, TayanaLorna said:

Well I need a BIG drink.  Just put the bottle of wine right there thank you.  Finished our Fiona storm prep.   We live in a house of glass with 7 6×6 foot windows - a blessing for the scenery until a storm is coming - so put up all our storm shutters.  Wind expected to be not too bad but may be in for 15-20 inches of rain.  Dreaming of our next February cruise is my storm stress control.

Was wondering how you were doing.  Hope Fiona ends up being a quick and uneventful visitor!

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

On 9/11/2022 at 7:17 AM, Clay Clayton said:

Will do but methinks we will get what we pay for😂

Clay, you most certainly will get much less than what you pay for on HAL.  We were so done with the lack of answers, phone calls not picked up on the ship, crowds and noise that we vowed never again……and then we got Covid.  

Service after being confined to cabin without seeing test results only a phone call got only worse.  We were diagnosed Thursday and it off Saturday but to experience a dinner to be delivered at 5:30 take three extra phone calls and the cabin attendant to follow up for us got part of our order at 8:30!

Passports were not returned until we we ready to walk off but no one could assure us of that.  The holding pen for Covid people awaiting departure was a giant ***** fest.

We will follow Andy’s lead in the future….Viking Only, except perhaps a four day run out of San Pedro.  We would also go on vessels of less than 1,000 passengers.

We are home now with good flight through Chicago from Boston.  The ORD to LAX was American 787 in Premium Economy which to me was better than what business class used to be.  For that length of flight there is no need to lie flat.

Exhaustion from Covid but picked up dogs and did laundry, oh no laundry on HAL!  $30 per bag.

I have to say I am glad that I am double boosted.

• Like 1

On 9/17/2022 at 5:47 PM, TayanaLorna said:

Hope you are doing ok. The sights of Puerto Rico on our televisions are truly awful.  Please let us know you’re ok. 

• Like 4

42 minutes ago, PasadenaDave said:

……and then we got Covid.  

Exhaustion from Covid ...

I am troubled by your post here.

On Thursday, on the HAL board, you posted that your wife tested positive, but that you were negative. You then asked "can they require both of us to retest? Tomorrow is Portland, should we get off the ship and take the two-hour bus to Boston and fly home without testing?"

On Friday, again on the HAL board, you posted that your wife had tested negative via your own proctored test, and you were waiting for a call from HAL medical. You speculated that her original test was a false positive.

Today, you post that "we got Covid" and referenced your "exhaustion from Covid".

I am unable to reconcile your stories. If one of you truly contacted Covid on HAL, you must have flown home without the required quarantine. If neither of you had Covid on HAL, why are you now saying that you did? 🍺🥌

• Like 1

1 minute ago, CurlerRob said:

Current CDC guidance still recommends a 5-day isolation for positive testers:

https://www.cdc.gov/media/releases/2022/p0811-covid-guidance.html

Your wife tested positive in medical on Thursday, negative by proctored self-test on Friday and now you are both positive on Sunday. Do you understand that you were infected when you chose to fly home, against recommendations, exposing others?

I get that HAL's handling of your situation sounds like a Class A SNAFU. I regret you went through that. However, I'm judgmental because I have zero tolerance for people who do not accept personal responsibility and thereby put others at risk. 

BYW, I've been in that position - handled it differently. 🍺🥌

We agree on one point, that it is guidance.  Guidance also calls for boosters and masks while traveling.  Many on planes today don’t wear masks and sadly many have not been vaccinated 

10 hours ago, Clay Clayton said:

Hope you are doing ok. The sights of Puerto Rico on our televisions are truly awful.  Please let us know you’re ok. 

Thanks for thinking of us Clay.  We are fine.  Our road was closed yesterday due to river out of its banks and over the bridge.  It is still closed today from landslides and lots of trees down.  We live SE but fortunately a bit North of the heaviest rainfall area.  Power will be out for weeks but we got solar after Maria so waiting for more sun.  Have enough wine and g&t for a week.  🙂

• Like 11

1 hour ago, TayanaLorna said:

Thanks for thinking of us Clay.  We are fine.  Our road was closed yesterday due to river out of its banks and over the bridge.  It is still closed today from landslides and lots of trees down.  We live SE but fortunately a bit North of the heaviest rainfall area.  Power will be out for weeks but we got solar after Maria so waiting for more sun.  Have enough wine and g&t for a week.  🙂

Stay safe & enjoy your G&T’s

• Thanks 1

On 9/17/2022 at 5:47 PM, TayanaLorna said:

Oh thinking of you TayanaLorna! I hope you are safe and get your power back as soon as possible.

Truly sending good wishes your way.😍

• Like 2

9 hours ago, TayanaLorna said:

Glad to hear you’re safe and have all necessary provisions! 🍸🍸🍸

12 minutes ago, Clay Clayton said:

Glad to hear you’re safe and have all necessary provisions! 🍸🍸🍸

Thanks.  We are up a mountain road with an incredible community.  The "chain saw brigade" of local neighbors worked to cut and move fallen trees today and the water company (who has a filtration plant up here) came with a digger to remove the rest of the landslides.  Now only if we have some sun for the solar.  

• Like 3