The Virtual Explorers' Lounge

photopro2

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

To those who have done the world cruise or the Australia/New Zealand cruise, how does this incoming passenger card thing work if you're not flying into and starting your cruise from Australia but from Auckland and then doing a week long post extension in Australia?  Do we have to download a copy and fill it out here at home before we leave or is it like I've experienced when flying?  I.e., the flight crew provides the cards for us to fill out before landing so that we have them ready for the customs/immigration folks to review when we arrive? In the case of Viking -- will Viking have us pick up a blank IPC card for us to complete before we arrive at our first port stop in Australia?  I'm thoroughly confused.  Thanks in advance.

1 hour ago, CharTrav said:

To those who have done the world cruise or the Australia/New Zealand cruise, how does this incoming passenger card thing work if you're not flying into and starting your cruise from Australia but from Auckland and then doing a week long post extension in Australia?  Do we have to download a copy and fill it out here at home before we leave or is it like I've experienced when flying?  I.e., the flight crew provides the cards for us to fill out before landing so that we have them ready for the customs/immigration folks to review when we arrive? In the case of Viking -- will Viking have us pick up a blank IPC card for us to complete before we arrive at our first port stop in Australia?  I'm thoroughly confused.  Thanks in advance.

Hello CharTrav.

Cruise ships provide the incoming passenger cards (IPC), usually a day or so before the ship first arrives in Australia. We did the Auckland - Sydney cruise in 2018 so my memory is getting a little hazy ... but I believe the room stewards left the IPC's for us on the desk in the cabin.

The forms will be collected at the first port of call (I assume Hobart) by Immigration / Customs officials.

The IPC is designed to cover a range of aspects - 1/ 'immigration' issues (ie do you have identity documents - eg a passport - and do you have a visa or an electronic travel authority which permits you to enter the country), 2 'customs' issues (ie what goods are you carrying with you and are any of them prohibited or subject to Customs Duty) and 3/ 'quarantine' issues (eg do you have any food, fruit etc in your possession). The card also covers 'character' issues - do you have criminal convictions which must be disclosed.

NZ and Australia have really strict rules about all of these issues - and there will be loudspeaker reminders on-board every day when you arrive at a port which reinforce the rules.

From memory - in NZ it is illegal to even take a piece of fruit from the ship onto the shore for an excursion and there will be reminders about this before you disembark for an excursion. Anyone who ignores the warning will face the consequences (quite severe). Not that I'm suggesting you would, but others have tried and regretted their decision.

But to answer your question .. the cruise line / ship management is responsible for issuing you with the IPC's and for advising all passengers what is and what is not permitted.

And you are probably already aware, but you are no longer required to show proof of COVID vaccination or a negative COVID test to enter Australia. Mask wearing is no longer a requirement in most locations, but a reasonable number of people are still wearing them in shopping centres etc.

In most locations hospitals, doctors surgeries etc are still considered high risk environments and masks are still required. Any of these locations will have a sign on the door to advise what is required.

Enjoy your trip, I look forward to reading any posts which you record.

Cheers, LM

1 hour ago, Little Monty said:

As you are probably already aware, but you are no longer required to show proof of COVID vaccination or a negative COVID test to enter Australia. Mask wearing is no longer a requirement in most locations, but a reasonable number of people are still wearing them in shopping centres etc.

The negative PCR test reqmt was reinstated last month.  But it may go away again between now and this January. Viking maintains and updates all the entry requirements, which are posted in the pre-travel reqmts section of  MVJ. It's a PDF document that covers every country Viking visits. 

And thanks for the other advice esp about fruit and NZ! Reminds me of a colleague who gave me similar advice regarding bringing even an apple provided on the airplane with me. Warnings about cute little beagles in the international baggage claim area who are trained to detect fruit and sit down next to you wagging their tail looking at you with adoring eyes should you be carrying fruit with you. My colleague received that treatment. 🍏

2 minutes ago, CharTrav said:

The negative PCR test reqmt was reinstated last month.  

I'll just in here.

Viking is providing incorrect information. I've seen comments about this in various posts in the forum.

This link is to the Australian Federal Government Department of Health website;

International travel and COVID-19 | Australian Government Department of Health and Aged Care

I can assure you 100% that you do not need to do any COVID test to enter Australia by air or by sea.

As best as I understand the Viking document you refer to indicates some states (eg New South Wales) have different rules re COVID testing. This is incorrect.

The Federal Government sets the rules for arrival and entry into Australia and the various state governments have no role in that process.

Some weeks ago I provided this same information to someone who is on the upcoming world cruise and that person said they had sent the information to the World Cruise Help Desk.

I'm sure it all but impossible for Viking to stay on top of every country and the many changes which occur - but rest assured you do not need to complete any COVID test to enter Australia.

• Like 1

Over on the Other Site that rhymes with LaceHook, a guy currently on Viking Orion, headed to Australia, Singapore, and Thailand, just posted a letter that came with the Viking Daily telling pax they’re reinstating the daily Covid spit tests. From the letter:

“As we have learned in the past months, countries that are only beginning to allow foreign visitors again adjust their COVID protocols often and they tend to err on the side of caution. We have found local authorities view our frequent onboard testing very favorably - it has helped us with an effective and successful restart well ahead of the industry as a whole. To ensure smooth sailing in the weeks ahead, we are again providing free frequent non-invasive COVID-testing starting October 18. The protocol for such testing is below. Please note that testing is mandatory for all guests and crew.”

The letter doesn’t say which country or countries they’re referring to. But the next stop is Australia.

There are only 84 pax on this cruise. (Honolulu to Bangkok.) Can’t imagine why so few. Social distancing definitely won’t be a problem.

FD02B20A-9D38-4FDC-ACE9-606C69121BB0.jpeg

Edited by Twitchly

11 minutes ago, Twitchly said:

“As we have learned in the past months, countries that are only beginning to allow foreign visitors again adjust their COVID protocols often and they tend to err on the side of caution. We have found local authorities view our frequent onboard testing very favorably - it has helped us with an effective and successful restart well ahead of the industry as a whole. To ensure smooth sailing in the weeks ahead, we are again providing free frequent non-invasive COVID-testing starting October 18. The protocol for such testing is below. Please note that testing is mandatory for all guests and crew.”

The letter doesn’t say which country or countries they’re referring to. But the next stop is Australia.

There are only 84 pax on this cruise. (Honolulu to Bangkok.) Can’t imagine why so few. Social distancing definitely won’t be a problem.

Possibly due to Bali guidelines ?  Who knows.

PCR Test BEFORE Arrival in Bali / Indonesia is not needed anymore.

HOWEVER....

If travellers are showing symptoms or show an increased temperature at the temperature check-point upon arrival...

• Test is taken at the airport before you get to the immigration checkpoint (or harbour).
  • These travellers must go directly to their accommodation after leaving the airport and wait for the test result inside the room. They can not leave the room before the PCR test received (and negative).
  • or, travellers might have to wait for the test result at the airport

If you are tested positive

• with no or mild symptoms you will have to isolate in a "quarantine accommodation" (Akomodasi Karantina) appointed by the government. Until the PCR tests returns negative! Or self-isolation at your own accommodation.
  • If you have "medium to severe symptoms" you will have to be isolated and be taken to a government hospital.

Wow! OK. Guess I'll just wait and see what changes between now and our cruise this January eh? In any case I was assured by a person on Viking live chat that Viking will take care of whatever reqmts related to PCR testing are in force  for Australia. I was actually more concerned with the IPC given that the govt site left me confused. 

• Like 1

Just to close the discussion .. I made contact with the local Viking office and told them it is my view the information being provided to US based passengers about COVID tests being required to enter Australia (or NSW) is incorrect.

Their reply ... it's not up to them to tell US based Viking colleagues what information to provide to US based passengers. 

I give up.

Good luck sorting through all these issues, but I'll step away now.

• Thanks 1

18_July_Eastern_Seaboard_Cruise_Protocols.pdf (nsw.gov.au)

It's very likely some of the issues raised recently (re on-board testing etc) is linked back to these protocols. These are not Government issued rules and / or regulations, they are guidelines developed by the cruise industry. When the Australian border began to open to international flights cruise ships were still banned by Government.

In response to the ban, the cruise industry went to Government to say they were prepared to go over-and-above what airlines and others were prepared to do to keep COVID under control.

Hence these protocols. I'm not sure how they are monitored or what penalties apply if they are breached.

Again, these are protocols established by the cruise industry and I imagine it is up to the cruise industry to go back to Government if they wish to vary them.

The letter which is included in post #1910 suggests changes are linked back to 'local authorities'. This is somewhat misleading if the changes are actually linked to the protocols - rather than Government requirements.

I guess in the end Viking ship, Viking rules.

I'll leave it at that.

Over and out. 

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Cleopatra99 said:

18_July_Eastern_Seaboard_Cruise_Protocols.pdf (nsw.gov.au)

These are not Government issued rules and / or regulations, they are guidelines developed by the cruise industry.

Is it possible that you posted the wrong document? While the opening paragraph acknowledges industry involvement, it doesn't read as an industry-sponsored initiative:

"The Eastern Seaboard and Western Australian Cruise Protocols are the primary document outlining Governments’ expectations for cruise lines operating in Australia (domestic and international). They were developed on the instruction of National Cabinet, are informed by industry, and have been approved by Governments across the Eastern Seaboard and in Western Australia. As national COVID-19 settings change, state Governments will consider and advise industry of any changes to the Protocols."

I found it contradictory, but perhaps the Government appropriated the industry suggestions (wouldn't be the first time ...)? 🍺🥌

14 minutes ago, CurlerRob said:

Is it possible that you posted the wrong document? While the opening paragraph acknowledges industry involvement, it doesn't read as an industry-sponsored initiative:

"The Eastern Seaboard and Western Australian Cruise Protocols are the primary document outlining Governments’ expectations for cruise lines operating in Australia (domestic and international). They were developed on the instruction of National Cabinet, are informed by industry, and have been approved by Governments across the Eastern Seaboard and in Western Australia. As national COVID-19 settings change, state Governments will consider and advise industry of any changes to the Protocols."

I found it contradictory, but perhaps the Government appropriated the industry suggestions (wouldn't be the first time ...)? 🍺🥌

Yep .. good point. I read a newspaper article that it was an industry initiative - but I'm not sure if the cruise industry said 'here is our plan what do you think' or if Government said 'show us your plan and we'll give it some consideration' (chicken or egg).

In any case, hopefully the document might give some background as to the recent on-board testing issues.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, CurlerRob said:

Actually I misread your post - so let me try again.

Politicians will always take credit for a good idea, even if it's not their idea.

In this case the cruise industry in Australia was shut down completely for a long time due to COVID, zero cruise ships coming and going. When international flights began arriving again the cruise ships were still banned. So the cruise industry pleaded and begged to be allowed to start again.

In response the Government replied .. show us your plan for re-starting safely.

This document was obviously part of the plan (even though I did not know it existed until recently).

So when the 'protocols' were finalised everyone involved (ie Federal Government, State Governments, Cruise Industry etc) wanted some of the credit.

I've got no doubt the cruise industry started the conversation which lead to the development of these protocols. 

There is no indication the protocols have an expiry date so they will remain in place until someone initiates a change, or a complete cessation. The Government won't start that process as there is no benefit for them, so it will be up to the cruise industry to do so.

But back to your original point, yes it was certainly claimed to be a joint-Government initiative even though the credit probably should have been more evenly shared with the cruise industry.

11 hours ago, Cleopatra99 said:

Yep .. good point. I read a newspaper article that it was an industry initiative - but I'm not sure if the cruise industry said 'here is our plan what do you think' or if Government said 'show us your plan and we'll give it some consideration' (chicken or egg).

In any case, hopefully the document might give some background as to the recent on-board testing issues.

It makes sense that the protocols are cruise industry and government joint initiatives.  Countries in South America are also opening to more international cruise ships this fall/winter.  Our itinerary takes us to Brazil and our MVJ document was recently updated to include Covid testing.  After Viking we are taking a small river ship further up the Amazon.  It is a Brazilian ship that has been sailing Brazil only for over a year.  When we first reserved this cruise last May, we were advised that we had to take a Covid test upon boarding.  Over the summer, that requirement was dropped.  So the Covid testing for Viking appears to be a cruise industry/govenment agreement for international cruise ships.

It seems to me all this talk of COVID regulations might be best discussed with Viking directly. 

It might be nice to keep this lounge as a place for lighter conversation? I don't mean to say that it is an unimportant discussion at all... but this particular thread was started more for enjoyment than for trip serious and importnant trip logistics.  🙂 

I'm going to grab a nice glass of chardonnay and settle in upstairs in a chair overlooking the view... who wants to join me?

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

35 minutes ago, Liz Masterson said:

I'm going to grab a nice glass of chardonnay and settle in upstairs in a chair overlooking the view... who wants to join me?

I'm Happy to join you Liz. Have you tried using the brass telescope? I was surprised to find it really works and it's not just there for show.

Just spotted the Francis Ford Coppola Zinfandel on the wine list, so that'll do for me 🍷

• Like 3

I recently made a post about the fantastic Sydney Bridge Climb but left out an interesting detail. For safety reasons you have to wear bone-conducting headphones to listen to the tour guide. Originally developed for military special forces use, sound is conducted through the jawbone into your middle ear, leaving your ears open to hear your surroundings. They also have the advantage of being 100% waterproof. It’s a very strange experience when you first put them on. 

I mentioned this because I was just reading a list of holiday tech gadgets and found them listed! They have come way down in price. So if you hate wearing ear buds or want to listen to your music and still be able to carry on a conversation, you might want to consider them.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Liz Masterson said:

It seems to me all this talk of COVID regulations might be best discussed with Viking directly. 

It might be nice to keep this lounge as a place for lighter conversation? I don't mean to say that it is an unimportant discussion at all... but this particular thread was started more for enjoyment than for trip serious and importnant trip logistics.  🙂 

You are absolutely right! We all should take our cruise or region specific Covid protocol discussions to more specific pages.  

• Thanks 1