Confusing call from NCL on FCC/refund request.

texaswedge

Just received call from NCL stating received my credit request and wanted to know if I wanted to book cruise.  I told him I sent form requesting a refund, not the credit. I asked him if he received my request for refund, not credit.  He stated he did not have access to see that information.  He pushed the credit and wanted me book a cruise.  Seems they are confusing people with this type of tactic.  Almost like the bait and switch routine.

3 minutes ago, texaswedge said:

Just received call from NCL stating received my credit request and wanted to know if I wanted to book cruise.  I told him I sent form requesting a refund, not the credit. I asked him if he received my request for refund, not credit.  He stated he did not have access to see that information.  He pushed the credit and wanted me book a cruise.  Seems they are confusing people with this type of tactic.  Almost like the bait and switch routine.

We noticed there was a call from NCL yesterday but no message. Wondered about why they would be calling because they always send e mails. We also requested refund.

On 3/25/2020 at 2:55 PM, NJGeorge said:

It must really suck to have a job at NCL corporate right now.

Yes, issues on multiple fronts over the past months. No revenue, threats of class action lawsuits, ships at sea can't find ports, ship experiencing reduced cruising speed, attorney general investigations, stock price in the tank.

Andy Stuart missed out on all the fun!

6 minutes ago, mnsweeps said:

Dispute charges on your credit cards....thats seems to be the only way you can get your money back.

Probably the best way to come out with NOTHING!!!  NCL has provided a means to compensate passengers who were booked on cruises that were cancelled by NCL.  They have provided a means to allow passengers to cancel after final payment without penalty.  If you bought insurance, you can go that route if your particular situation is covered.

CC chargeback because you don't want to wait for your refund or you don't like the terms is called friendly fraud and just makes the process slower.  Yes, you might get a temporary credit to your CC (depends on the bank and when your final payment was made).  Assuming NCL disputes the charge (which they can do and would most likely win), your credit disappears.  And possibly any right to an actual refund, cash or fcc.

So good luck with that.

https://chargebacks911.com/filing-false-credit-card-dispute/

https://www.elliott.org/blog/do-not-sail-list-banned-from-cruising/

13 minutes ago, mnsweeps said:

FCRA consumers rights - You can dispute a charge if 'if the merchant fails to perform the services it promised'. 

File CC dispute asap else you would lose the money. 

You missed the part about the merchant has the right to make good.  And unless you are on a cruise that was cancelled and you are past the sail date, you cannot claim that they have failed to perform.  You have to abide by the terms of the contract you signed when you booked your cruise.

But go for it - if NCL is as unscrupulous as people want to claim, you could lose your claim to a cash refund and you MIGHT get FCC.  Then they put you on the naughty list and your FCC is useless because you can't use it and it isn't transferable.  One less cruise-fare that NCL has to refund.  So as a  shareholder and someone booked on future cruises - GO FOR IT!

Oh, and as a plus, your credit score could be dinged.

As always, the advice you get on social media is as valuable as what you paid for it.

32 minutes ago, julig22 said:

Assuming NCL disputes the charge (which they can do and would most likely win), your credit disappears.  And possibly any right to an actual refund, cash or fcc.

NCL cancelled the OPs cruise. They have a duty to refund his money in a prompt, timely fashion, providing the OP follows the process outlined. NCL has no case here, as everyone in this thread has shown.

In this case, it sounds like OP timely filed his claim and inexplicably, received an unsolicited call from NCL regarding a FCC. It's their system, so they need to have access to their passengers choice. This behavior is confirmed now by others in this thread.

I find it interesting that instead of acknowledging the facts as presented, you venture off into commentary about consumer fraud and empty threats of NCL banning people from sailing.

Stick to the facts, NCL cancelled the cruise, the customer asked for a refund, NCL has a duty to issue a prompt refund. Attempts to divert attention from the refund request and sell other opportunities like FCC is disingenuous and contrary to the request that was made. If you don't like the facts, then please move on.

Edited by blcruising
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, blcruising said:

NCL cancelled the OPs cruise. They have a duty to refund his money in a prompt, timely fashion, providing the OP follows the process outlined. NCL has no case here, as everyone in this thread has shown.

In this case, it sounds like OP timely filed his claim and inexplicably, received an unsolicited call from NCL regarding a FCC. It's their system, so they need to have access to their passengers choice. This behavior is confirmed now by others in this thread.

I find it interesting that instead of acknowledging the facts as presented, you venture off into commentary about consumer fraud and empty threats of NCL banning people from sailing.

Stick to the facts, NCL cancelled the cruise, the customer asked for a refund, NCL has a duty to issue a prompt refund. Attempts to divert attention from the refund request and sell other opportunities like FCC is disingenuous and contrary to the request that was made. If you don't like the facts, then please move on.

My response was to the person advocating a cc chargeback, nothing more. Why attack me for pointing out the issues with making a fraudulent claim?

But since you brought it up, just because NCL is calling doesn't mean that their request for a cash refund isn't being processed.  I'm sure that the NCL sales reps are being pressured to get cruises booked and probably have no connection to the actual refund process (as another person pointed out) - they only know that there are people out there with FCC in their accounts, since NCL populated the accounts with the credits, which will be removed if/when a cash refund is issued.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, julig22 said:

My response was to the person advocating a cc chargeback, nothing more. Why attack me for pointing out the issues with making a fraudulent claim?

It isn't a fraudulent claim if the person is due a refund, has followed the refund process and has not been issued a refund within a reasonable timeframe....especially when NCL acts like they don't even know if a refund claim was filed.

What sounds more fraudulent is to unnecessarily delay a refund by requiring people to fill out forms that aren't made available for days after cancellation, then setting long, arbitrary time-frames for making the refund, then making sales calls to hard sell a FCC to someone that has already asked for said refund and not acknowledging that a refund claim has even been made.

Edited by blcruising
  • Like 1