Link to news story about Carnival Freedom crew member with coronavirus

Ideb

19 minutes ago, Ideb said:

I was initially bummed when the cruise I was taking was cancelled as part of this "Pause" and at the time wished I had booked a cruise a week or two earlier. Fast forward to now and will admit I'm glad it was cancelled and especially happy I hadn't booked the previous few weeks. Assuming the cruise industry doesn't implode I can take a cruise in a year or more and not sit around wondering about the country falling apart or being asked to quarantine for 14 days.

Edited by embarkation75
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, embarkation75 said:

I was initially bummed when the cruise I was taking was cancelled as part of this "Pause" and at the time wished I had booked a cruise a week or two earlier. Fast forward to now and will admit I'm glad it was cancelled and especially happy I hadn't booked the previous few weeks. Assuming the cruise industry doesn't implode I can take a cruise in a year or more and not sit around wondering about the country falling apart or being asked to quarantine for 14 days.

I feel exactly the same way. We were supposed to be on Freedom on the 14th when it returned from this trip. I was disappointed that we weren't able to go, but knew that it was probably for the best. Seeing this today just confirmed that.

3 hours ago, IcanSeaclearlynow said:

In the article the passenger said their temps were checked when they boarded.  Wonder if they were when they disembarked?  Thought I read somewhere Valor (I believe the last to disembark in NOLA) no temps were checked.  

I was on the last Horizon cruise before the shut-down. They checked our temps as part of the check-in and security process, but not when we returned. Checking temps only goes so far. On average, the incubation period is about 5-7 days, but it's possible to be asymptomatic for up to 14 days. Hypothetically, if any of us had contracted the virus while on the cruise, chances were good we wouldn't have had a fever at the time of debarkation.

3 hours ago, Joe817 said:

Wow. Just wow. The cruise lines should have stopped cruising in February. I wonder where we'd be today, if they had.  Oh well, you know what they say about hindsight.

The thing is, the country wasn't going crazy in February. They couldn't have possibly known. Heck, everything was still relatively calm when we set sail on March 7th. It wasn't until about halfway into our cruise that we got word from back home that schools were closing and people were fighting over toilet paper.

3 hours ago, IcanSeaclearlynow said:

In the article the passenger said their temps were checked when they boarded.  Wonder if they were when they disembarked?  Thought I read somewhere Valor (I believe the last to disembark in NOLA) no temps were checked.  

I was on the Valor March 5.  No temps taken

4 hours ago, Joe817 said:

Wow. Just wow. The cruise lines should have stopped cruising in February. I wonder where we'd be today, if they had.  Oh well, you know what they say about hindsight.

are you implying that the entire pandemic in the US is a result of cruises not cancelling?

4 minutes ago, mrgame101 said:

are you implying that the entire pandemic in the US is a result of cruises not cancelling?

I commend you. You have an incredible grasp of the obvious. The cruise ships sailing and returning, international air travel into the US, merchant marine arrivals, land travel from Mexico and Canada. Which one is it? Any one? All of them? Or a combination? What say you, is the reason for the entire pandemic in the US? I'd really like to know your opinion. 

1 minute ago, Joe817 said:

I commend you. You have an incredible grasp of the obvious. The cruise ships sailing and returning, international air travel into the US, merchant marine arrivals, land travel from Mexico and Canada. Which one is it? Any one? All of them? Or a combination? What say you, is the reason for the entire pandemic in the US? I'd really like to know your opinion. 

*Sigh* Some of us have been locked in our houses too long now.   I see it in my kids,  I see it in peoples patience getting short.    Pour yourself a tall one and pretend it's from RedPub.  

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Elbozi said:

*Sigh* Some of us have been locked in our houses too long now.   I see it in my kids,  I see it in peoples patience getting short.    Pour yourself a tall one and pretend it's from RedPub.  

Well thank you Elbozi for your recommendations. I've already had enough RedPub wanna be's to float the Freedom....which btw, is our next scheduled cruise on Sept. 13-20. I've had enough homemade FunShip Specials to see me through to next year.  

I'm just a simple country boy from about 80 miles NW of where you live, and I, like a lot of us, am simply trying to make sense of why decisive action was delayed until the crisis was already upon us, when we had ample time to prepare. 

If you must, just consider my rant just venting. Thank you for keeping it civil. 

• Like 1

I'm not sure why the highlight was only on cruise ships when international airline travel was the main source of bringing the virus to the US.  Knowing what we know now, they should have shut down international travel much sooner, in my opinion.  But it is what it is.

• Like 1