Would consolidation of brands benefit Carnival Corp?

jimmieg

24 minutes ago, caribill said:

Do you have any info how Ford or GM total sales were after the brands were eliminated?  Did Ford and GM keep there overall market shares?

They eliminated brands that were not selling well.

Carnival Corp brands are aimed at different markets. Eliminating a brand would mean fewer customers from that market.

GM lost market share to Ford (relative to each other) after the 2008-9 recession. Quite knowingly - market share without profit isn't worth keeping. GM made the decision to kill brands that were less profitable even though it would cost market-share, at least short-term. Too many brands chasing too few customers is exactly what the cruise industry (many industries actually) will face and some consolidation is likely - maybe forced by the bankruptcy of one or more big lines.

1 hour ago, robsaw said:

GM lost market share to Ford (relative to each other) after the 2008-9 recession. Quite knowingly - market share without profit isn't worth keeping. GM made the decision to kill brands that were less profitable even though it would cost market-share, at least short-term. Too many brands chasing too few customers is exactly what the cruise industry (many industries actually) will face and some consolidation is likely - maybe forced by the bankruptcy of one or more big lines.

I think it is too many ships for too few customers, not too many brands.

1 hour ago, caribill said:

I think it is too many ships for too few customers, not too many brands.

And too many repeating ports especially for ships sailing out of Florida. How many times do you need to visit Nassau?

• Like 1

I've wondered for years about the glut of ships in the Caribbean, seems crazy to me.  I haven't gone on a Caribbean cruise since 2007 because of the crowds, number of ships in port.  It isn't enjoyable to me at all.  People living in some coastal states think it's all  the rage, good for them.  Being on a small island with thousands of people, not my idea of a good time.

• Like 1