Cancellation

HJB12345

November 22nd 9 nights - Silver Spirit - Dubai to Mumbai

We have this booking and because they offer last November from the cruise company we had to pay up front (around £6,000).

The cruise company will not talk to us as they are only dealing with cruises which were booked to depart in next two weeks.

I read somewhere that Silversea were offer cancellations on bookings till end of 2020 subject to $200 cancellation charge but I can't see this anywhere now.

My wife and I are very hesitant of doing this cruise.  Ideally we would like our money back and rebook for a cruise when the virus has been eradicated.

Does anyone know if we have any options?   Pity as we we're so looking forward to this cruise.

8 minutes ago, HJB12345 said:

November 22nd 9 nights - Silver Spirit - Dubai to Mumbai

We have this booking and because they offer last November from the cruise company we had to pay up front (around £6,000).

The cruise company will not talk to us as they are only dealing with cruises which were booked to depart in next two weeks.

I read somewhere that Silversea were offer cancellations on bookings till end of 2020 subject to $200 cancellation charge but I can't see this anywhere now.

My wife and I are very hesitant of doing this cruise.  Ideally we would like our money back and rebook for a cruise when the virus has been eradicated.

Does anyone know if we have any options?   Pity as we we're so looking forward to this cruise.

Yes, see https://www.silversea.com/temporary-amendment-to-cancellation-policy.html and https://www.silversea.com/terms-and-conditions.html (way down near the bottom).

In your case I"f your cancellation request is received more than 120 days prior to your initial sailing date, a USD$200 non-refundable administrative fee will be charged per booking"

You can elect the the 100% FCC up to 48 hours before sailing. But if you want a 100% refund then Silversea's standard terms for cancellation applies 

If your cancellation request is received more than 120 days prior to your initial sailing date, a USD$200 non-refundable administrative fee will be charged per booking. This administrative fee may be converted to a future cruise credit valid for travel within 12 months from the date of the cancelled voyage. Cruise cancellation requests received within 120 days of the initial sailing date will be subject to the following charges, regardless of suite resale:

• 120 – 91 days prior to the initial sailing date: 15% of the total cruise fare per person;
  • 90 – 61 days prior to the initial sailing date: 50% of the total cruise fare per person;
  • 60 – 31 days prior to the initial sailing date: 75% of the total cruise fare per person;
  • 30 – 0 days prior to the initial sailing date or nonappearance at the time of sailing: 100% of the total cruise fare per person.

6 minutes ago, HJB12345 said:

Thanks for reply.

Perhaps I have this wrong but the terms seem to indicate only new bookings.  We booked last November.  Are you say we can get our money back less $200?

Thanks

if you want a 100% refund then Silversea's standard terms for cancellation applies  -   https://www.silversea.com/terms-and-conditions.html (way down near the bottom).

The standard cancellation policy says "If your cancellation request is received more than 120 days prior to your initial sailing date, a USD$200 non-refundable administrative fee will be charged per booking." Your cruise is more than 120 days from now so I believe your would qualify for a refund. 

What happens if you call Silversea? I've spoken to two airlines and two cruise companies in the last couple of weeks and they all want to deal with more immediate cases, but no one has refused to answer my questions.

1 hour ago, DCCruiser57 said:

In most cases, if you rebook another SS cruise, I believe they will apply the $200 cancellation fee to the new booking.

The precise language is:

If your cancellation request is received more than 120 days prior to your initial sailing date, a USD$200 non-refundable administrative fee will be charged per booking. This administrative fee may be converted to a future cruise credit valid for travel within 12 months from the date of the cancelled voyage.

Please note:  

• The fee is per booking, not per passenger
  • It kicks in only if one is not charged a cancellation penalty because cancellation is too close to sailing
  • It can be applied to any Silversea cruise within 12 months of the sailing that is cancelled.

• Like 1

Hi.  Perhaps I'm misunderstanding your question, but here is the revised Silversea cancellation policy for 2020 cruises.

FOR SAILINGS DEPARTING BETWEEN JULY 31ST UNTIL DEC 31ST 2020

For all sailings departing between July 31st and December 31st 2020 (existing and future bookings) our guests will have a chance to cancel their booking up to 30 days prior to departure and receive 100% cash refund of the monies paid to Silversea. The refund amount will cover in specific any applicable cancellation penalty and will exclude any amounts paid for air upgrades, deviation fees, pre, post and overland tours, transfers and hotels.

The above cancellation will be subject to a $200 administrative fee.

For any booking between 29 days prior to sailing and sailing date the cancellation penalty will amount to 100% of the booking value.

So, for the November 22, 2020 sailing, if you cancel up to 30 days prior to the departure date, you would be eligible to receive a 100% cash refund, minus a $200 administrative fee.

As of April 8, 2020, Silversea has added this additional cancellation policy change: For all 2020 Silversea cruises still in operation, you can cancel up to 48 hours prior to departure and receive a Future Cruise Credit with 2 year validity.

Hope this helps.

Silversea did a "bait and switch" and changed the cancellation policy on April 8

Shame on them

As soon as I read the revision I called my TA -- who was appalled.

Before April 8 you could get a full refund if you cancelled 30 days out.

With NO notice, they took that option off the table.

Many of us relied on that provision and did not cancel within the 120 day period because we thought we could wait until 30 days out to get a refund..

Now you either pay a penalty or get a FCC (which most of us do not want with all the uncertainty in the world)

I imagine when other Silversea  cruisers figure this out they are going to be very angry.  They should be.  It is borderline fraudulent to have customers rely on a cancellation policy, allow the time period lapse and then change the policy.

9 hours ago, Sweetpea711423 said:

Thank you for reply. We booked the cruise in November 2019 for the November 2020 cruise as I detailed.  My question is simply to certain can we get our money back.  I asked this question based on the 8th April amendment issued by Silversea.  To me it seems that Silversea have now changed the cancellation terms so I can't get my money back (subject to $200 fee) as stated by the last poster.  Do you agree with the last poster on this thread in that Silversea have changed the terms of the cancellation?

Edited by HJB12345

9 hours ago, bitob said:

Silversea did a "bait and switch" and changed the cancellation policy on April 8

Shame on them

Many of us relied on that provision and did not cancel within the 120 day period because we thought we could wait until 30 days out to get a refund..

Now you either pay a penalty or get a FCC (which most of us do not want with all the uncertainty in the world)

I imagine when other Silversea  cruisers figure this out they are going to be very angry.  They should be.  It is borderline fraudulent to have customers rely on a cancellation policy, allow the time period lapse and then change the policy.

Bitbob - Thank you for writing this -  This was the reason I created this thread.  Do others agree with Bitbob?

12 hours ago, bitob said:

Shame on them

Did your TA actually confirm with Silversea that they are now applying the April 8 revision to existing bookings, rather than the revised thirty (30) day policy that was communicated back on March 6 (and referenced by iMarco46 in another thread linked below)?

Edited by alexandria

29 minutes ago, bitob said:

Yes.  It is applicable to all bookings

I have friends with the same issue

If in fact Silversea has now "retracted" their offer for cash refunds for existing bookings if cancelled at least thirty days out, that is quite disappointing to hear as a prospective first-time Silversea passenger.  My cruise terms and conditions as a new booking clearly state the thirty day cancellation policy for full refund less $200, so I am in a different position than others may be, but I can certainly see how some with existing bookings relied on that policy and did not cancel for a refund, preferring instead to wait and see how the current crisis resolves..

While I am now retired from the active practice of law, from a legal standpoint (at least here in the US) that would appear to be a problematic position for Silversea to take.  From a consumer relations perspective, it is a very problematic position, particularly for a high end luxury brand where expectations of excellence in service and product would include fair dealing, integrity, and honoring one's promises.

Perhaps a courteous written communication to the executive leadership at Silversea expressing concern about this situation might bring a resolution.  It is also entirely possible that the front-line personnel do not have accurate information on the proper application of the March 5 cancellation policy to existing bookings.   There is a clear conflict in the various cancellation policies and communications and if left to the interpretation of the representatives who work directly with travel agents and passengers, confusion and inconsistency will result.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, alexandria said:

Perhaps a courteous written communication to the executive leadership at Silversea expressing concern about this situation might bring a resolution.  It is also entirely possible that the front-line personnel do not have accurate information on the proper application of the March 5 cancellation policy to existing bookings.   There is a clear conflict in the various cancellation policies and communications and if left to the interpretation of the representatives who work directly with travel agents and passengers, confusion and inconsistency will result.

In part due to the current situation in Ecuador we decided to cancel our Silver Origin cruise scheduled for Nov 2020. 

The reason we did it yesterday was the confusion associated with cancellation policies as applied to existing bookings. We asked for a cash refund.

The voyage cancellation confirmation received the same day (April 9) from Silversea appears to indicate that SS was indeed prepared to permit us to cancel for a cash refund right up to T-minus 30 days.

89057249_ScreenShot2020-04-10at11_31_04AM.thumb.png.feb968943e5072822e1c7fdcb346b493.png

983172468_ScreenShot2020-04-10at11_30_30AM.thumb.png.17c6295d5d2b6d3a6ad95c6b2ce18c25.png

So I think that alexandria's suggestion is a good one --

SS may very well have an internal communication problem and clarification among their own agents may help to avoid a rush to cancel existing reservations.

Holy moly.  After rereading the various responses here, and still being confused about the matter, I wrote to my travel agent to ask for clarification of the Silversea cancellation policy for 2020.  People on this board are absolutely right – as of April 8, 2020, if you want a cash refund (minus the $200 administrative fee), you must cancel your cruise at least 120 days in advance (which is therefore no change to the original Silversea cancellation policy).  I had received an email directly from Silversea on March 5, 2020, announcing the new cancellation policy allowing a 100% cash refund (minus the $200 administrative fee) for cancellations at least 30 days in advance.  It is unbelievable that Silversea would change the cancellation policy again, within one month, in a way that is worse for the customer.  And Silversea did not send me an email announcing this new cancellation policy change, as they had done with the previous cancellation policy change.  This leads me to not trust Silversea. How is this any way to treat customers?

I have a booked cruise for October 19, 2020.  I had planned to wait until shortly before September 19 to see how things were going with respect to the coronavirus situation before making a final decision about whether to cancel the cruise.  I am now back to having to make that decision before July 19, three months in advance of the cruise date.  The possibility that I will feel comfortable deciding in July that 3 months hence it will be OK to go on a cruise is close to zero.  They are therefore forcing me to cancel my cruise (because I will want a money refund, not a credit), rather than being able to wait an additional 2 months to see how the situation develops.  Not good business all around.

Not that it will matter, but I am also planning to write directly to Silversea about this and let them know how I feel about it.

36 minutes ago, Sweetpea711423 said:

Holy moly.  After rereading the various responses here, and still being confused about the matter, I wrote to my travel agent to ask for clarification of the Silversea cancellation policy for 2020.  People on this board are absolutely right – as of April 8, 2020, if you want a cash refund (minus the $200 administrative fee), you must cancel your cruise at least 120 days in advance (which is therefore no change to the original Silversea cancellation policy)....

I have a booked cruise for October 19, 2020.  I had planned to wait until shortly before September 19 to see how things were going with respect to the coronavirus situation before making a final decision about whether to cancel the cruise.  I am now back to having to make that decision before July 19, three months in advance of the cruise date.

If that is the case, you may not want to wait until July 19.  That's only about 90 days before sailing...😮

• Like 1

1 hour ago, alexandria said:

If that is the case, you may not want to wait until July 19.  That's only about 90 days before sailing...😮

Sorry.  You’re absolutely right.  I meant to say before June 19.  I’ve actually set it up with my travel agent to confirm my plans about the cruise on June 15.

On 4/9/2020 at 6:37 PM, bitob said:

Shame on them

I agree.

One assumes that an RCI "facilitator" may have pulled rank and done the deed, but it is indeed a very black day in SS customer relations.

I am waiting patiently for them to cancel my Explorer cruise , however I have an Email from my ta elucidating the previous cancellation arrangements and setting out my options should I decide to cancel.

In normal times I would opine that they could not/would not get away with the change without first notifying the customer and allowing the opportunity to cancel , well not in Au anyway.

This failure to notify should make the change commercially untenable and likely unlawful in many jurisdictions.