QM2 Deck Plan THICK White Cabin Wall/Divide

T5LHR

I hope the title makes sense... 

Looking at the QM2 deck plans, at a few points down the length of the ship, for example between 6294 and 6928, there is a thick white line. 

Does this indicate a bulkhead location? Or a "block join" during construction? A solid "wall" between balconies etc? 

I am just curious as to its meaning. 

Many thanks for any info on that. 

🙂

2 minutes ago, MCC retired said:

Solid steel wall bulkhead .

Thank you... I thought it would be, but wanted to check... 🙂

Balcony I just booked has one, so hopefully will be nice. 

Guest SilverHengroen

Yep basically a structural bulkhead, if you pull up a side-on photo of the ship, you can most easily see it in the balconies above the boat deck where they're divided into 5 large sections. 

9 hours ago, TheOldBear said:

In interior spaces [deck 1 and passenger spaces] there are recessed fire doors at these boundaries. I think below deck 1 [where the 'behind the scenes tour' did not go] there are no passages through these bulkheads.

Yes, these are what are known as "vertical fire zone" boundaries.  The ship is divided into a number of fire zones that divide the ship from port to starboard, and keel to uppermost deck, and can have electricity and ventilation secured for the entire zone, and the fire doors closed, to prevent the spread of fire, and without affecting any other zone.  It looks like QM2 is divided into about 9 of these fire zones.

I'm assuming that "deck 1" is the main crew "I-95" deck, and if so, this is what is called the "subdivision deck", below which the ship is divided into watertight compartments that act as fire boundaries as well.  There will be passages through these bulkheads, but they are closed with hydraulically driven watertight doors, that are kept closed at all times while at sea, and which can be remotely closed from the bridge.  A ship the size of QM2 will likely have 14-18 watertight compartments along her length.

• Like 3

10 hours ago, TheOldBear said:

In interior spaces [deck 1 and passenger spaces] there are recessed fire doors at these boundaries. I think below deck 1 [where the 'behind the scenes tour' did not go] there are no passages through these bulkheads.

Ver interesting! Thank you! 🙂

42 minutes ago, chengkp75 said:

Yes, these are what are known as "vertical fire zone" boundaries.  The ship is divided into a number of fire zones that divide the ship from port to starboard, and keel to uppermost deck, and can have electricity and ventilation secured for the entire zone, and the fire doors closed, to prevent the spread of fire, and without affecting any other zone.  It looks like QM2 is divided into about 9 of these fire zones.

I'm assuming that "deck 1" is the main crew "I-95" deck, and if so, this is what is called the "subdivision deck", below which the ship is divided into watertight compartments that act as fire boundaries as well.  There will be passages through these bulkheads, but they are closed with hydraulically driven watertight doors, that are kept closed at all times while at sea, and which can be remotely closed from the bridge.  A ship the size of QM2 will likely have 14-18 watertight compartments along her length.

Fascinating info... Thank you very much! 

I love learning things like this. 

Hopefully I will manage to get on the behind the scenes tour on the trip and see some of this. 🙂

I just remembered there are photos of the QM2 obstructed view balconies that can help illustrate what those bulkheads look like on a balcony. Here's the photo of obstructed view balcony 8108 showing the bulkhead on the right and the standard shorter balcony divider on the left.

8108_qm2.thumb.jpg.300316a0902cdbc82ace9a6ba5662148.jpg

• Like 1

2 hours ago, bluemarble said:

I just remembered there are photos of the QM2 obstructed view balconies that can help illustrate what those bulkheads look like on a balcony. Here's the photo of obstructed view balcony 8108 showing the bulkhead on the right and the standard shorter balcony divider on the left.

Thats perfect, thank you! 🙂

Mine is a sheltered balcony on deck 5, so will be a little more "enclosed"