Cruise Critic Community
Sign in to follow this  
Petoonya

Didn't buy insurance within 21 days of first payment-financial default?

I rebooked an Oceania cruise that was cancelled this year. The new cruise is 4/4/21. Like a lot of other people I'm concerned about financial default of the cruise line.

I mistakenly didn't buy insurance within the 14-21 day window after deposit to get financial default coverage.

I hate to go back to my agent to ask to rebook but feel that's the only option I have.....

Anyone else?

Thanks.

Rebooking won’t help. Cruise lines and insurance companies are wise to that work around.

On 4/24/2020 at 11:39 AM, Petoonya said:

I rebooked an Oceania cruise that was cancelled this year. The new cruise is 4/4/21. Like a lot of other people I'm concerned about financial default of the cruise line.

I mistakenly didn't buy insurance within the 14-21 day window after deposit to get financial default coverage.

I hate to go back to my agent to ask to rebook but feel that's the only option I have.....

Anyone else?

Thanks.

Hi Petooyna,

Not all policies require you to buy with within the 14-21 day window after deposit to get financial default coverage.

Also, when you re-booked did you use future cruise credits as the payment? And, did you pay any cash when you re-booked?

Steve Dasseos

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, iamtrustworthy said:

Hi Petooyna,

Not all policies require you to buy with within the 14-21 day window after deposit to get financial default coverage.

Also, when you re-booked did you use future cruise credits as the payment? And, did you pay any cash when you re-booked?

Steve Dasseos

Thanks Steve,

I'll look again. It seems like the ones I've used before like Travel Assured and Travelex that have a good name and some reliability (and I've had to use both with success) have the 14-21 days. If you have recommendations from Insure My Trip would love to hear.

No I put a $500 deposit on my cruise. I can afford to lose that. What worries me is final payment in November and it's a big loss in the event Oceania goes belly up after that. Even if O is looking OK at that time it's anyone's guess what happens next winter.

My TA has been through so much and she is a friend. I hate to make her cancel and rebook. I was fortunate to get the guarantee I wanted and won't get it if I cancel now.

Appreciate your thoughts sincerely,

Nancy

Edited by Petoonya

5 hours ago, iamtrustworthy said:

Hi Petooyna,

Steve Dasseos

Me again.

Just like you say I didn't need to buy within the 14-21 day window. Found something on InsureMyTrip that'll work just fine. Thanks for your help.

Nancy