Non-Refundable Deposit

kebrown

We have a cruise booked with a non-refundable deposit.  We booked with a non-refundable deposit because the price of the cruise was cheaper.  The same cruise is now being offered with a refundable deposit at the same price we paid.  Can we change our deposit to refundable since the price is now the same?

It's strange that currently they are only offering refundable deposits.  I don't believe it is possible to refare a NRD to a refundable one without canceling.  I'd be curious to know what they would say.  It would be a more interesting discussion if the current price for refundable was less than the existing NRD. 

4 minutes ago, kebrown said:

We have a cruise booked with a non-refundable deposit.  We booked with a non-refundable deposit because the price of the cruise was cheaper.  The same cruise is now being offered with a refundable deposit at the same price we paid.  Can we change our deposit to refundable since the price is now the same?

Unfortunately no, you would have to lose at least a portion of your non-refundable deposit; probably at least $100 per person.

However, if the refundable price is now the same as your non-refundable price when you purchased, then the new non-refundable price is probably lower, and you can have your non-refundable reservation repriced at the new lower amount.  Just make sure that there are no other differences such as included perks.

Best wishes

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, Bfb832cc said:

If you are on a cruise with a non-refundable deposit and wish to cancel before final payment, can you move the NR deposit to a new cruise next year? 

Using the standard rules, with a non-refundable deposit, you can move to a non-refundable deposit on a different cruise but need to pay a $100 pp penalty fee.

But with  the COVID-19 situation, Celebrity will allow you to cancel before FP (was initially for cruises departing prior to end of July, but think it's now prior to end of August) and receive a Future Cruise Credit in the amount of your deposit, which you can then use on a future cruise. However, you cannot use the FCC to pay for the deposit on the new cruise - have to make a cash deposit.  Still better than paying the $100 pp penalty and you can use the FCC on either a refundable or non-refundable reservation.

7 minutes ago, NantahalaCruiser said:

Using the standard rules, with a non-refundable deposit, you can move to a non-refundable deposit on a different cruise but need to pay a $100 pp penalty fee.

But with  the COVID-19 situation, Celebrity will allow you to cancel before FP (was initially for cruises departing prior to end of July, but think it's now prior to end of August) and receive a Future Cruise Credit in the amount of your deposit, which you can then use on a future cruise. However, you cannot use the FCC to pay for the deposit on the new cruise - have to make a cash deposit.  Still better than paying the $100 pp penalty and you can use the FCC on either a refundable or non-refundable reservation.

Thank you. That sounds good. I will keep that in mind, and ask about it if I cancel before the cruise is cancelled. This sure has been a mess fore everyone.

Thanks again!

This happened to us in January. We never book NRD. Inquired about a fare reduction that I saw online for our cruise in October. The fare with fully refundable deposit had a nice drop. Agent made the change assured deposit was still refundable. Invoice email took longer than usual but it finally came. Saw another reduction a few days later, called and agent said I was now NRD. I had my invoice showing standard deposit. I pushed it to a supervisor who said the agent made a mistake, made it NRD then tried to correct it. Supervisor said sorry can’t change back from NRD. I had to push back and they said they finally ‘noted’ in my reservation the reinstatement 

to refundable. 

I have had numerous fare drops over the life of this reservation and not one invoice ever said NRD.

Likely this cruise will be cancelled either by us or Celebrity. We’ll see how the deposit thing shakes out then.

Still bothers me that they could see the agent’s mistake but ere going to hold us ti NRD.

I had the same issued while repricing a refundable deposit to another refundable deposit.  Even though I was clear about wanting the new fare (quoted the amount) the agent told me a lower fare.  After he corrected it to the correct fare I noticed on the invoice it was a NRD.  After long holds etc and a call back they said there is no way to change a NRD reservation to a refundable one and they noted the fact that the deposit was fully refundable like they did for you.   I also made them send me an email to the same effect.

16 hours ago, Bfb832cc said:

If you are on a cruise with a non-refundable deposit and wish to cancel before final payment, can you move the NR deposit to a new cruise next year? 

They don't appear to be offering NRD in the US at this time.