Becoming a TA

3 minutes ago, Kwaj girl said:

At this point I cannot say as it is under negotiation at the moment. I will say it is not RCI.

Oh good grief. If a company has this policy all of a sudden there is no reason not to spread the news. Otherwise, it's a fairy tale

12 minutes ago, cruisinfanatic said:

Oh good grief. If a company has this policy all of a sudden there is no reason not to spread the news. Otherwise, it's a fairy tale

I WANT this negotiation to go in our favor.  When it's over I'll be glad to identify the company.  Give it a rest.

I was a travel agent and enjoyed the work but pay is low. If you are just doing it for your own commission be careful as some agencies probably would not keep you as they want you to produce. Getting clients and retaining is tough and requires diligence as many people see travel agents as an annoying middle man. Though, having been in the business, I realize the worth of a travel agent in getting me additional perks that the cruise line can't offer by booking direct. 

Having worked as a travel agent during 9/11, things do get better and people will travel and cruise again. My former colleague in the travel business, owns his own travel agency, I always book with him. He has an LLC and books through a large travel agency which charges him, I think $100 a year. On top of that he pays $50 a month if he doesn't sell $1000 worth of commission. He gets I think 70 or 80% of the commission for trips he books. The commission you get paid on a booking is anywhere from 10-16% off of the cruise only fare. There is a portion of the cruise fare that is not commissionable. At the end of the day you have to sell a lot to or have high rolling clients to do well. It is possible, my friend is testament to that but it is a volatile business. Also, these days it pays to specialize in a certain type of travel. Become an expert on one or two destinations or even a specific cruise line and sell that. My friend specializes in group cruise arrangements and detailed Italy land trips. He can sell anything and books me on anything but that's his focus and up until now it paid off for him.

Edited by nycruiser80

I used to do it as well I was booking cruises for me and my cousins and some friends and end picking up business here and there you  make a few bucks and I was retired so had nothing better to do . Sadly my wife got Brain cancer and was sick for over 16 months so I gave it up . Not a bad company . Cruise... Opposite of sister LOL . If you can figure it and google them make 50% and can get some deals easy to work for. I love travel so it was fun for me to always be messing around looking for deals for people in all aspects . Sent  My son on his honeymoon to Hawaii found some great deals through them . Actually still use some of their suppliers . Just call them they work with individuals as well 🙂

Edited by frito58