2020 World Cruise on P & O Arcadia

happycruiserjilly

We were on the full World Cruise from Southampton leaving on 3 January and arriving back on 12 April this year. P & O were generous in giving us extra on board credit as well as 100% FCC for the last 33 days at sea (without any passengers touching land). Just wondered whether anyone had tried to claim compensation in addition to the FCC? Apparently there is cover under The Package Travel & Linked Travel Arrangements Regulations 2018 for anyone who might face changes to their cruise which are not 'insignificant'. These regulations give a right to a full refund. Certainly missing the whole of the Far East, Middle East and the Mediterranean sectors is not insignificant. Our insurance company, who refused any compensation, directed us to ABTA as a cruise is considered a package holiday.

I’m afraid that I cant answer your question, but I’m not surprised that you have asked it. Whilst accepting that none of the problems were of P&O’s making, it seems as though almost everything that could have gone wrong on this cruise went wrong and in no way could what it ended up as be described as a World Cruise. For many, a World Cruise is a ‘once in a lifetime’ experience and the cost is eye watering. Whatever the reason for the issues, I would have been very unhappy with being given FCC for 33 days. I suspect that some of those who endured that cruise won’t want to set foot on a cruise ship again! If it were me, I’m not sure that I would be pursuing P&O for compensation as such, as it wasn’t their fault, but I would certainly expect the 33 wasted days to be refunded as cash and not FCC. Knowing P&O as I do, I suspect that they won’t change their position, as most customers roll over and take whatever is given to them, but those who challenge them legally (which is probably worth doing, given the sums involved) will get some success, probably with a Non-Disclosure agreement attached. 

I was on the world cruise.  It was described as a Western Circumnavigation and that is what we got. None of the changes were P&O’s fault and their goodwill gesture of FCC plus the extra onboard credit we were given was very generous. For 33 days we were fed and entertained and well taken care of and all that cost is available for a future holiday.  It is greedy so and so’s demanding further compensation who will put the cost up for us all. I did not get the itinerary I booked but having no wish to catch the virus I am very very grateful the itinerary was changed.  I thoroughly enjoyed my holiday and met a whole bunch of people who did the same.  Just remember if you demand perfection you are destined for disappointment if you go with the flow you get a wonderful holiday.  In my mind applying for further compensation is fraud.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

7 hours ago, Clipper Chick said:

I was on the world cruise.  It was described as a Western Circumnavigation and that is what we got. None of the changes were P&O’s fault and their goodwill gesture of FCC plus the extra onboard credit we were given was very generous. For 33 days we were fed and entertained and well taken care of and all that cost is available for a future holiday.  It is greedy so and so’s demanding further compensation who will put the cost up for us all. I did not get the itinerary I booked but having no wish to catch the virus I am very very grateful the itinerary was changed.  I thoroughly enjoyed my holiday and met a whole bunch of people who did the same.  Just remember if you demand perfection you are destined for disappointment if you go with the flow you get a wonderful holiday.  In my mind applying for further compensation is fraud.

Well said, glad you managed to have a great time and are happy with how P&O dealt with a very difficult situation. 

Andy 

7 hours ago, Clipper Chick said:

I'm with you Clipper Chick. Absolutely spot on. Spurious compensation claims damage us all. Glad you got home safely; we loved our World Cruise segment on Arcadia.