FTTF withdrawn

Purvis1231

6 hours ago, Organized Chaos said:

One thing I don't believe is that they are going to do away with FTTF. They've given no indication that that will happen. Just more baseless speculation, as far as I'm concerned. They wouldn't eliminate FTTF just to cut back on high numbers of priority passengers, like someone suggested, because FTTF is a huge money maker for Carnival. I don't see them getting rid of such a profitable cash cow. Maybe it could possibly be a temporary thing for when they come back (because of the priority boarding portion of it) but until I see something official, I don't take all of the speculation very seriously. I don't follow JH, nor do I visit his fb page, but I did go and look at his posts for the past couple weeks and saw nothing about FTTF or priority boarding being halted.

Below are the comments I read on FB. 
185E672E-EC26-4D3C-943F-6668F935CF6D.thumb.jpeg.17b367ed01da59aa8432b90ecbfeb6dd.jpeg

image.png

image.jpeg

image.png

image.jpeg

Edited by PhillyFan33579

7 hours ago, PhillyFan33579 said:

I think it could be done if you significantly reduce the number of passengers per cruise. I live in Florida and our governor just announced today that restaurants could reopen May 4th in most parts of the state with no more than 25 percent of their capacity allowed inside the restaurant. If cruise ships did something similar I think it would be possible to implement social distancing on a ship. Of course the big question Is what percentage of your capacity (for any business) do you need to at least break even short term. 

This is what bothers me about limiting capacity in certain businesses.  At what point of only breaking even will they shut down the businesses.  They are in the business to make a profit.  

On the news the other night, they were talking to a restaurant owner that said that unless his restaurant is full, he can't afford to keep it open.  I'm not an accountant but I don't see where operating at 25% capacity would even cover operating costs.  Same with  cruising.  I heard a while back that the cost of cruise tickets covers the operating cost of that cruise.  Profits come from the onboard spending.  Reducing the amount of passengers now cuts in to the profits from the onboard spending which is even less because there are fewer passengers onboard spending.  At what point does the cruise companies say enough is enough.

4 minutes ago, thesmiths said:

No different then a sea day.

Going to disagree with you on this. Sea day has all kinds of other events taking place on the ship. Many places where people can visit. Some don’t leave their room. Not so much on embankment day. Everyone is crammed on the Lido deck. It’s a cluster. Plus you have your carry on bags so that limits you even more.

4 hours ago, RWolver672 said:

This is what bothers me about limiting capacity in certain businesses.  At what point of only breaking even will they shut down the businesses.  They are in the business to make a profit.  

Breaking even or maybe losing a little temporarily will be better than total loss until we can get this thing fixed. Remember, as soon as a vaccine is in place everything gets reset. At least until China does something stupid again.

4 hours ago, RWolver672 said:

being open and breaking even is a lot better then being closed with no business at all. while it is tough making no profit during the break even point, there can be some subtle ways to still gain a very very slight small profit in the future 

• Like 1

13 hours ago, PhillyFan33579 said:

I think it could be done if you significantly reduce the number of passengers per cruise. I live in Florida and our governor just announced today that restaurants could reopen May 4th in most parts of the state with no more than 25 percent of their capacity allowed inside the restaurant. If cruise ships did something similar I think it would be possible to implement social distancing on a ship. Of course the big question Is what percentage of your capacity (for any business) do you need to at least break even short term. 

Getting off topic here, but I have wondered about this myself.  We have a cruise booked for January (we booked in February just before all the madness started  lol) and it's way more than 25% booked Just using your 25% number as an example here because who knows.  I can see restricting new bookings but what about all the people already booked?  They'd have to determine some way to cut down on passengers.   

13 hours ago, PhillyFan33579 said:

Below are the comments I read on FB.

Those comments confirm part of what I said...that they're stopping it temporarily until they figure out how everything is going to go when they start up again. The only problem I have with all this is that some people were jumping to conclusions before they knew anything. Some people took it as Carnival doing away with it for good. These side discussions sprung up with people talking about how it's probably being done to ease the number of priority passengers, that it's a good time to sneak this new policy in because of all the confusion, and whatnot. Someone in another FTTF thread referred to this thread and said that it had been suspended. They didn't reference any fb posts, they were using this thread as their source. Except, at the time they posted that, there was nothing in this thread that confirmed FTTF had been halted. Yes, you had mentioned you thought you remembered a JH post, but weren't sure what was said exactly. So at that time, nothing was really official. But it still got picked up and spread around as if it were. That's how misinformation is spread and that's what I was speaking out against.

Thanks for posting the fb comments. That gives us something official to go off of and that's all I was looking for before I drew any conclusions. I think people can take solace in the fact that it's only temporary and FTTF isn't going away long term. I think the temporary halt is something they should include on their website since we don't all follow JH. And by the looks of it, even he didn't post anything about it. It just happened to come up in his comments. They could avoid a lot of confusion if they'd announce it somewhere. Maybe include it with the travel alerts.

Edited by Organized Chaos

On 4/29/2020 at 2:54 PM, Joe817 said:

There cannot be any type of effective 'social distancing' on a cruise ship. It would be an impossible task, IMO. 

This is true and sad,  was on a cruise were they had a guy whose only job was to advise people to use one of the many washing stations to wash their hands and we still watched people ignore him and just go right into the eating area, smh