Anyone on Magica 3/26/06

stowawaykc

I talked to my DH and he is up for the meet and greet, not sure if the boys will show or not. It will be my DH George, me Erin, son Joren (14) and son Jake (11).

Hey to WindyCity4, we are from Plainfield a western suburb. We leave for Florida on Saturday. Only 5 more days of school (I'm a teaching assistant)! Can't wait for the sun and some strawberry margaritas!

Erin

Illinois Cruiser

Illinois Cruiser: hope i'm posting this right... i'm new to this... we are arriving on saturday as well to the ft. lauderdale area... bring on the margaritas!

Windycity4

wow...24 hrs since the last post......ok...i'll bump our group back up.....gonna do key west on our own...anyone up for morning bloody marys or mimosas at hogs breath??....in cozumel...we're striking out on our own, gonna try paradise beach..anyone ever been...in Jamaica we're doing the trimaran to the beach and dunn rivers fall.........and in grand cayman we're still deciding...ONLY 11 DAYS

Mark

Mark: We are also doing the Trimaran in Ocho Rios. You mentioned in a previous thread that you were going to San Francisco Beach. I cannot find that anywhere? Have you been there before? Is snorkeling available that you know of?

Thanks!

Conda

Hogs Breath is on Duval Street along with all the other bars...depending on where we get off the boat at.. it is gonna be the closest bar to Mallory Square.

Mark

Thanks Mark. We'll look for it.

-Antonio

My better half has been diligently scouring the message board for helpful advice about cruising and Costa Magica. I believe she has everything in control:confused:. One thing she noticed while reading messages for the 3/26 sailing is the extraordinary number of passengers who are from the Land of Lincoln. My wife(Cheryl) and I(Mark) are experienced cruisers who suprised the family with a Spring Trip to the Caribbean on Magica. Our three daughters Kayla(15), Kristen(13), Sierra(11) and our son Logan(8) will be accompanying us on this cruise. We reside in St.Charles, Illinois. I am an Athletic Director and Dean of Students at a local private school. I think I look forward to Spring Break more than the kids? We are looking forward to meeting all of you that have posted messages regarding the March 26 sailing. We will see you all on board in 5 days!

My better half has been diligently scouring the message board for helpful advice about cruising and Costa Magica. I believe she has everything in control:confused:. One thing she noticed while reading messages for the 3/26 sailing is the extraordinary number of passengers who are from the Land of Lincoln. My wife(Cheryl) and I(Mark) are experienced cruisers who suprised the family with a Spring Trip to the Caribbean on Magica. Our three daughters Kayla(15), Kristen(13), Sierra(11) and our son Logan(8) will be accompanying us on this cruise. We reside in St.Charles, Illinois. I am an Athletic Director and Dean of Students at a local private school. I think I look forward to Spring Break more than the kids? We are looking forward to meeting all of you that have posted messages regarding the March 26 sailing. We will see you all on board in 5 days!

St. Charles Cruiser: Wonder if you are going with our large group? We are from St. Charles too and our family of 4 is going as well. Daughter 15 and a son 8. Seems like a lot of locals are going!

Windycity4

We are not from the Land Of Lincoln, but we have an 8 year old son(Christian) so perhaps he an Logan will have a lot in common.I (Diane) will be with our baby but the husband(Sean) loves water & the outdoors. We have cruised twice before but never with Costa. Looking forward to meeting everyone.Only 5 more days.

We are not part of the large group from St. Charles. My 13 year old daughter attends Thompson M.S. and has a classmate that might be part of your large group. We are from Wasco, what part of town are you all from? I am a graduate of St. Charles(Class of '83), taught at Haines M.S. and currently coach the High School Rugby Clubs(Boys and Girls). Will all of you be attending the meet in greet? Diane, I am sure Logan and Christian will get along just fine. Are you considering the Kids Club? Logan is looking forward to this trip because there seems to be quite a few boys his own age. He is so use to tagging along with all of his big sisters:(, he won't know what to do? I don't know how to out do the the blue CC shirt or the rust colored hat, but I thought I may have to pull out the blue ear muffs that were worn during my first cruise. My first cruise was a rugby excursion on Carnival to the Bahama's. That should answer all of your questions about the blue ear muffs.

We are not part of the large group from St. Charles. My 13 year old daughter attends Thompson M.S. and has a classmate that might be part of your large group. We are from Wasco, what part of town are you all from? I am a graduate of St. Charles(Class of '83), taught at Haines M.S. and currently coach the High School Rugby Clubs(Boys and Girls). Will all of you be attending the meet in greet? Diane, I am sure Logan and Christian will get along just fine. Are you considering the Kids Club? Logan is looking forward to this trip because there seems to be quite a few boys his own age. He is so use to tagging along with all of his big sisters:(, he won't know what to do? I don't know how to out do the the blue CC shirt or the rust colored hat, but I thought I may have to pull out the blue ear muffs that were worn during my first cruise. My first cruise was a rugby excursion on Carnival to the Bahama's. That should answer all of your questions about the blue ear muffs.

St. Charles Cruisers:

My daughter is a frosh at STC East and previously went to Thompson (where I graduated '82). I'm sure you know my husbands family. Two of his brothers graduated 83 and 84. My son goes to Davis School (we live in the Davis School area). I know many people from Wasco Elem. thru football (TC Chargers). My daughter wanted to join Rugby, but had to choose between that and the softball team. My son didn't care for the kids club (he was 8 at the time 2 years ago)...he thought it was a tad bit "babyish." He had a great time and knew his way around the ship better than we did. We leave a day early on Saturday.

Still packing

St. Charles Cruiser:

Talked with my travel agent this morning (she arranged our group and also a grad of STC '82 as well as her hubby) and her son (JJ) is a classmate of your daughters. Small world! Looking forward to meeting you guys.

We will always be by the big pool on "at sea" days... the main pool where all the activities will be happening.

All those tips about envelops is a really good. I too am super organized that tip is really a good idea. Thanks. As we said re: tips for waiter etc.

It allows you to pay in cash. I will go to the main desk and tell them I do not want automatic tipping on my credit card. That is not uncommon. Then' date=' I will tip in cash the folks who deserve the tip - ie. cabin stewart, waiter etc. It could be more it could be less - the point is I will decide where my money goes. This is not an uncommon practice.

Can't believe it is so close. Anybody have any other great tips?[/quote']

Here's a tip: Let Costa take care of disbursing the tips. The service charge is added to your room account because of all the cheapskates that "forget" to tip the help at the end of the cruise. The staff work at least 12 hours a day and the service is excellent. They deserve every penny they get. Costa's service charge is actually at the low end of the scale. This is just a standard guideline that simplifies the whole tipping process and ensures that the right people are getting the wages they earn. If the service is subpar, one should speak up immediately, not suffer in silence until the end of the cruise so they can justify being so cheap.

Hi everyone,

Can anyone tell me what green, red, and white night is?:confused: Do we need to dress up? Just getting ready to pack and not sure what I need for that night.:)

Thanks

Denise

Hi Denise,

I never heard anything about this green, red and white night.....but glad you did. I would also like to know what to pack for that. where did you hear about it?

just a few days now.....good times!!

Maria

Only a few more days left. I was trying to find another cruise line that is in the same port as the Magica but I could not find one that had a webcam. I looked at the Magica webcam and there was another boat parked behind it but I could not find the cruise name to look for the ship webcam.

Maybe tomorrow I will see the ship from another boat or port.

Is everyone getting excited?

Jordan

Hi Denise,

I never heard anything about this green, red and white night.....but glad you did. I would also like to know what to pack for that. where did you hear about it?

just a few days now.....good times!!

Maria

Hey Maria,

I saw it on one of the post here and also checked on the costa page but the costa page just says

Caribbean Theme Evenings

Buon Viaggio: Casual

Benvenuto A Bordo: Formal, Captain's Gala

Festa Italiana: Red, green and white (informal)

Serata Tropical: Casual

Arrivederci: Formal

Roman Bachanal: Toga party and casual (Voted Most off-the Wall Onboard Event in Cruising)

I hope this helps with the packing....I'm so excited>>>Drinking and eating here we come

Hi everyone,

Can anyone tell me what green, red, and white night is?:confused: Do we need to dress up? Just getting ready to pack and not sure what I need for that night.:)

Thanks

Denise

Hi Denise.

Red, white, and green are the colors of the Italian flag. They encourage you to wear those colors that evening. I have found that anything in that combination works just fine, i.e., white capris/slacks/skirt, green top, red sandals/shoes. You can make it even more simple. Just a red/white/green head band or scarf. No need to fuss. The spirit of it is fun. Just picture what you would do if they said Flag Day, or Independence Day, only red white and green.

Jeanne

Hi Denise.

Red, white, and green are the colors of the Italian flag. They encourage you to wear those colors that evening. I have found that anything in that combination works just fine, i.e., white capris/slacks/skirt, green top, red sandals/shoes. You can make it even more simple. Just a red/white/green head band or scarf. No need to fuss. The spirit of it is fun. Just picture what you would do if they said Flag Day, or Independence Day, only red white and green.

Jeanne

Good Evening Jeanne,

Thanks for this info. I will make sure we have something to make this fun. I can't wait to go.

Hi All, I just started reading this forum a few days ago and thought I might need some group theropy. My first time on a cruise. :eek:

There are 7 in our party, my wife, 3 kids (10-7-3), and my in-laws. I'm concerned about my 3 year old. (Funny - I didn't seem to have any when the trip was being booked. :D) She's very excited and asking every day about the "big boat".

Has anybody here cruised with toddlers? I know about the Mini Kids Club (from the Costa WWW site) and she is potty trained...SO...dose "Daddy" just need to chill out a little...um..a lot?

Also, can we take our walkie-talkies (2 mile range variety) for deck-to-deck chitchat? I'd hate for the ship to go off course or something and wind up having to stay an extra day at sea :rolleyes:.

Hi All, I just started reading this forum a few days ago and thought I might need some group theropy. My first time on a cruise. :eek:

There are 7 in our party, my wife, 3 kids (10-7-3), and my in-laws. I'm concerned about my 3 year old. (Funny - I didn't seem to have any when the trip was being booked. :D) She's very excited and asking every day about the "big boat".

Has anybody here cruised with toddlers? I know about the Mini Kids Club (from the Costa WWW site) and she is potty trained...SO...dose "Daddy" just need to chill out a little...um..a lot?

Also, can we take our walkie-talkies (2 mile range variety) for deck-to-deck chitchat? I'd hate for the ship to go off course or something and wind up having to stay an extra day at sea :rolleyes:.

Hi there,

If your child is outgoing she should have a wonderful time. My 10 year old loved it but my shy 5 year old was not impressed. Have not cruised Costa but on Carnival they gave us a pager in case she cried too much or had other problems.

Also, you will be able to use your walkie-talkies. We did on our last trip with our kids and it made it very easy to meet up with the family.

Hope this helps.:D

Denise

The walkie talkies are a great idea since my Nextel should not be working out at sea. That is at least what I read.

Does anyone know if a Sprint connection card will work on the ship out at sea or in the ports?

It is getting closer. I only have to work tomorrow and then to FL on Sat,

And Then.....

Ship bound...

Jordan

Thanks for the walkie-talkie info. I figured the worst that could happen would be that Costa says, "I don't think so..."

Anyway, in reading further in my tickets, I came across a section about traveling with step kids. My oldest is a step son and the tickets state that a noterized letter is needed from the biological father. (Something like that, I don't have my tickets in front of me. I worded it to fit my situation.) This "father" hasn't been in the picture for the last 5-6 years by HIS choice:mad:. We have no idea where he is. We have traveled out of the country before (pre 9/11) with no issues though.

Any thoughts anybody? (The bit of anger peeking through is because he promised a lot to his wonderful son and then disapeared.)

The wife is packed, as usual I'm not. I still got to get some things. I'ts almost time! Yeahaw!

Thanks for the walkie-talkie info. I figured the worst that could happen would be that Costa says, "I don't think so..."

Anyway, in reading further in my tickets, I came across a section about traveling with step kids. My oldest is a step son and the tickets state that a noterized letter is needed from the biological father. (Something like that, I don't have my tickets in front of me. I worded it to fit my situation.) This "father" hasn't been in the picture for the last 5-6 years by HIS choice:mad:. We have no idea where he is. We have traveled out of the country before (pre 9/11) with no issues though.

Any thoughts anybody? (The bit of anger peeking through is because he promised a lot to his wonderful son and then disapeared.)

The wife is packed, as usual I'm not. I still got to get some things. I'ts almost time! Yeahaw!

We traveled last year with the kids on Carnival. Their website stated the same thing about traveling with one of the biological parents. Their is no way the biological mother would have given us a notorized letter, Though she did agree to us taking the kids on a cruise. We simply presented the birth certificates and had no issues. They didn't say a single word about it. Hopefully your's goes smoothly as well.

C everyone in just a few more days!

-Antonio

Archived